Dog becomes human

Do pets have a better chance of becoming a meditating human?
The dog that lives with me, he participates in dhamma listening, meditation and humming (ommm)

1 Like

In the Mulasarvastivada-version of the Parable of the Log SN35.241 (in which the Buddha instructs the cowherd Nanda) there is a sidestory about a frog who was also present at the time. It goes like this:

At that same time, the cowherd Nanda was standing near the Lord. Having set his cows out to pasture, he put down his staff. But he put the staff down on a frog, so that its skin was ripped off and it was torn limb from limb, [The frog] realized, “If I move my body or make a sound, it might cause the cowherd Nanda to be distracted from [the Lord’s] words.” And so, purifying his heart toward the Lord, he died and was reborn among the four divine kings.

So an animal might even end up in higher realm than the human realm!

6 Likes

That frog is also featured in the Pali Vimanavatthu.

3 Likes

" Being as animal" …no chance to understand Dhamma… for meditation will be impossible…(Buddha said something like this.)

Do you have a citation for that claim?

It’s kind of in this sutta:
https://suttacentral.net/an8.29/en/sujato

Furthermore, a Realized One has arisen in the world. But a person has been reborn in the animal realm. This is the second lost opportunity.

2 Likes

At AN8.28…as :point_down:

Furthermore, a Realized One has arisen in the world.

Puna caparaṁ, bhikkhave, tathāgato ca loke uppanno hoti …pe… satthā devamanussānaṁ buddho bhagavā, dhammo ca desiyati opasamiko parinibbāniko sambodhagāmī sugatappavedito;

But a person has been reborn in the animal realm. :point_left:
This is the second lost opportunity.

ayañca puggalo tiracchānayoniṁ upapanno hoti …pe….
:point_up_2:
Even though, this was a said of Ven.Sariputta…but at the end of Sutta…Boddha… certified…

Exactly…yours…

Is there no way to get out of the animal state?

The very beautiful Solo (hopefully now human) on my meditation cushion.

7 Likes