Drinking water in South and Southeast Asia

I feel like this is a good thread for a forum section called the watercooler, although if it were called the water-filter that would be better.

In October, I’m going to be heading off to Sri Lanka and after that India and Southeast Asia and I’m interested in finding ways to drink water safely without buying plastic water bottles.

Anyone here have any experience with filter bottles they liked or stories of horrible illness I should be warned about?

:anjal:

4 Likes

Hi,

I can highly recommend Lifestraw products (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LifeStraw®-Unisexs-2-Stage-Filter-Bottle/dp/B01G7SQBPQ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=lifestraw+bottle&qid=1561104254&s=gateway&sr=8-2)

I have used this bottle in India without any issues, as have colleagues and friends.

2 Likes

The quality of the tap water is influenced by the rainfall, in the wet season the quality is logically better. But anyway drinking water is either boiled or bottled wateris used in those countries. October is towards the beginning of the dry season in India, and Chennai is experiencing water shortages due to climate change, as the monsoon hasn’t come as normal.

1 Like

The locals drink boiled cooled water, in Sri Lanka. Avoid drinking water from the tap. Bottled water, is a good option.

2 Likes