Dvayatānupassanāsutta - deriving the word

veneration at the feet of ven. bhante @sujato

venerable bhante, sutta central has titled the Sutta-Nipāta 3.12 Sutta as: Dvayatānupassanāsutta

I am wondering whether the correct spelling should be:
‘Dvāyatanupassanāsutta’ or is there something that I need to understand?

As per VRI text - Āyatana is the spelling. I take that as reference and thereafter dve + āyatana + anupassanā + sutta = Dvāyatanupassanāsutta.

I could not understand how this suttacentral title could be derived: Dvayatānupassanāsutta

The meaning is ‘two spheres of perception’ or is there any other meaning, Venerable?

Kindly admonish me Venerable and correct me.

with veneration at the feet of the sangha,

manish

[issue resolved, venerable. reply given by venerable @Khemarato.bhikkhu]

No, dvaya = “dual” and dvaya-tā meaning “dualities” So, “Contemplating Dualities”

1 Like

grateful for your admonition, venerable @Khemarato.bhikkhu.

with veneration & metta,

manish

Regarding the meaning of the sutta, it states conditioned and unconditioned realities should be separated:

For the sake of knowing qualities of dualities as they actually are.’ ‘What duality are you speaking about?’ ‘This is stress. This is the origination of stress’: this is one contemplation. ‘This is the cessation of stress. This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress’: this is a second contemplation. For a monk rightly contemplating this duality in this way — heedful, ardent, & resolute — one of two fruits can be expected: either gnosis right here & now, or — if there be any remnant of clinging-sustenance — non-return."

1 Like