Early Buddhism: An Article by Bhikkhu Anālayo

Sure. The purpose, to me, is to learn a new way of understanding life and death. But in making use of the texts we have not only the problem of the cultural context of the texts themselves, but the modern cultural context. Modern translations and interpretations are inevitably influenced by modern cultural accretion: Science, Existential Philosophy, Psychology, and so on.

For example, when you speak about “timeless” I presume you are referring to the term alkalika. [as in Svākkhāto bhagavatā dhammo sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko opaneyyiko paccattaṁ veditabbo viññūhīti.]
Akalika has been variously translated as “immediate”, “immediately effective”, “timeless”, “outside of time”, “not subject to time”. The latter three translations imply, at least in my mind, that the translator is, consciously or unconsciously, referencing modern physics concepts of time and space. This is very explicit when some interpreters speak of nibbana as being “outside of space and time”.

I don’t see how we can possibly be “Early Buddhists”. Our understanding of the ancient texts is influenced not only by the culture at the time of their creation but also our current culture.

Ven Analyo published the following book three years ago: Superiority Conceit in Buddhist Traditions, A Historical Perspective, Somerville: Wisdom Publications, 2021.

There was some discussion here and elsewhere when the book came out:
Ven Anālayo's book ~ Superiority Conceit in Buddhist Traditions, A Historical Perspective
Some wondered why there was not a fifth chapter on EBT Buddhists:

This brings us to what I think is the core flaw of the book, which is that a view of Buddhism built exclusively on EBT doctrines (EBT-ism) is never brought up in any shape or form. Yet, this current exists among Buddhists, and is an equally strong force of superiority conceit as one assumes that their practices go back to the Buddha himself and are scientifically/academically proven to be so. EBT-ism rests on the axioms that 1) EBTs are without a doubt early and are to be privileged to know the heart of Buddhism as taught by the Historical Buddha; and that 2) whatever the EBTs do not include has definitely not been taught by the Buddha (this is effectively an inversion of the infamous Iraq War proclamation on absence and evidence; in this case “the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence”). These are rather significant axioms to accept given that there is no unanimous agreement over what texts are EBTs, nor is there a single narrative of the formation of Buddhist Canons that is indisputably the correct one. Furthermore, EBT-ism is not traditional Buddhism by any means. A side effect of the book therefore is that it can act as a box of ammunition for those EBT-ists who do not accept or appreciate traditional Buddhism. A fifth chapter in which this current is critiqued would be a very welcome and beneficial addition. As it is, one is tempted to wonder whether it would be more accurate to change the A Historical Perspective sub-title to From the Perspective of Early Buddhist Doctrines .
https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/lgjw3m/a_review_of_superiority_conceit_in_buddhist/

Perhaps the OP article can be thought of as that fifth chapter:

2 Likes