Early monastics "breaking the Patimokkha"

Many thanks Ayya @vimalanyani for starting this wiki, very interesting and informative subject for people studying vinaya or interested in practising it. Many thanks also for all contributors thus far.

I totally agree that discussion over applicability of a sutta incident is not important, especially that vinaya rules are not clear for some people. I’d rather actually encourage everyone to post an incident even if they’re not sure whether it involves a vinaya breach or not, or even if it borders on constituting a breach.

Also if the quoted text is too long, it would be very nice -but not necessary ok!- to write a line or two about what’s the violation about.

THANKS! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

From MN 82: Arahant Raṭṭhapāla explicitly asks for food:

Just then a servant of his relatives was about to throw away some old rice-soup. Seeing this, the venerable Raṭṭhapāla said to her: “Sister, if that stuff is to be thrown away, then pour it into my bowl here.”

6 Likes

The pacittiya about damaging plants bu 11 / bi 107:

The Buddha collects grass for a meditation seat, p. ex:
MN 140

Then the Blessed One entered the potter’s workshop, prepared a spread of grass at one end, and sat down,

An 3.36

After the meal, when I have returned from the alms round, I enter a grove. I collect some grass or leaves that I find there into a pile and then sit down.

6 Likes

From Mahavagga 5.1.7. The Buddha orders ven. Sāgata to perform super powers to villagers:

Then those eighty thousand village overseers approached the Lord … Then the Lord, knowing by reasoning of mind the minds of those eighty thousand village overseers, addressed the venerable Sāgata, saying: “Well then, do you, Sāgata, abundantly show a superhuman state, a wonder of psychic power.”

“Very well, Lord,” and the venerable Sagata, having answered the Lord in assent, having risen above the ground, paced up and down in the air, in the atmosphere, and he stood, and he sat down, and he lay down, and he smoked and he blazed, and then he vanished.
:tada:

5 Likes

Yes, this is the way, the only way, we can respect The Great Teacher and The Dhamma He taught. Without these essential two aspects, I doubt if anybody can progress in the Noble Path.

2 Likes