Eightfold Vaipulya Tropes & discussion about locating "early sectarian" buddhism

EDIT: I modified the title to include “discussion about locating ‘early sectarian’ buddhism” to reflect the conversation unfolding below.

I would like to take a moment to talk about vaipulya practices in Buddhism, and troping in Medieval Christianity, and then present something which I hope will be interesting: namely, a “EBT kosher” vaipulya of sorts, but first I have to establish a few things to explain myself and this little pet project I decided to work on before I work on much less pleasant work that I actually get paid for!

A vaipulyasūtra is a scholastically elaborated and expanded piece of Buddhavacana (or a compilation of numerous disparate pieces of Buddhavacana), that merges sūtra with commentary in a fusion that is questionable to Buddhists of some traditions, namely because it has the potentiality to confuse purported Buddhavacana with interpretation of that Buddhavacana.

If you believe the interpretation & interpreter if the vaipulya, than this is not an issue. One of the many theories about the nascent growth of difference between earlier Buddhisms and the Mahāyāna movement has it starting with the compilation of these vaipulya (the older prajñāpāramtāsūtrāṇi are often vaipulyas, but also sūtrāṇi like the Lotus Sutra and Mahāyāna Great Parinirvana Sutra are classified as “vaipulya”).

A trope, and this is specifically the musicological medieval definition of a trope, is a text that is inserted into another text to explain, highlight, or clarify elements of the original text. This practice was much used in medieval Christian literature.

For the sake of clarification, here is a prayer entitled Alleluia nativitas:[quote]Alleluia. Solémnitas gloriósae Vírginis Maríæ, ex seémine Abrahæ, órtæ de tríbu Júda, clára ex stírpe Dávid.[/quote]And here is the “Western vaipulya” (i.e. here it is with a trope inserted in italics and the original text in bold):[quote]Alleluia. Solémnitas gloriósae Vírginis Maríæ, ex seémine Abrahæ, divino Moderamine, igne pio numine producis domine, hominis salutem, paupertate nuda, virginis nativitate de tríbu Júda. Iam propinas ovum, piscem, panem dabis, partu sine semine órtæ de tríbu Júda, clára ex stírpe Dávid.[/quote][details=Latin geekery, troping & vaipulya as “patchwork”]Those in the know might be able to tell apart the text of the trope and the original because of the two different styles of Latin being used. This “patchwork” effect is characteristic of this practice, and it would be interesting if something of the like where to be found in vaipulya manuscripts. If this was demonstrable, it would be interesting and compelling to those engaged in inquiry into EBTs, because it would label certain sections of vaipulya as definitively “earlier”, though not necessarily “early”, and these may constitute “untraced suttas”, such as those references in many early sectarian Abhidharmāḥ. Alas, as far as I know, this is not the case.[/details]

Since the major issue with vaipulya, as a practice, is 1) questionable Buddhavacana, and 2) the danger of putting words into the Buddha’s mouth, if we sidestep and keep these criticisms of the practice in mind, I think what we will get is something like this, if vaipulya existed as a practice still endorsed in Buddhism:[quote]And what, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right view, which is based upon seclusion, dispassion, and cessation, maturing in release: this is called the path leading to the unconditioned.

And what, bhikhhus, is right view?

When, friends, a noble disciple understands the unwholesome and the root of the unwholesome, the wholesome and the root of the wholesome, in that way he is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has unwavering confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

And what, friends, is the unwholesome, what is the root of the unwholesome, what is the wholesome, what is the root of the wholesome? Killing living beings is unwholesome; taking what is not given is unwholesome; misconduct in sensual pleasures is unwholesome; false speech is unwholesome; malicious speech is unwholesome; harsh speech is unwholesome; gossip is unwholesome; covetousness is unwholesome; ill will is unwholesome; wrong view is unwholesome. This is called the unwholesome.

And what is the root of the unwholesome? Greed is a root of the unwholesome; hate is a root of the unwholesome; delusion is a root of the unwholesome. This is called the root of the unwholesome.

And what is the wholesome? Abstention from killing living beings is wholesome; abstention from taking what is not given is wholesome; abstention from misconduct in sensual pleasures is wholesome; abstention from false speech is wholesome; abstention from malicious speech is wholesome; abstention from harsh speech is wholesome; abstention from gossip is wholesome; uncovetousness is wholesome; non-ill will is wholesome; right view is wholesome. This is called the wholesome.

And what is the root of the wholesome? Non-greed is a root of the wholesome; non-hate is a root of the wholesome; non-delusion is a root of the wholesome. This is called the root of the wholesome.

When a noble disciple has thus understood the unwholesome and the root of the unwholesome, the wholesome and the root of the wholesome, he entirely abandons the underlying tendency to lust, he abolishes the underlying tendency to aversion, he extirpates the underlying tendency to the view and conceit ‘I am,’ and by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has unwavering confidence in the Dhamma, and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right intention.

And what, bhikkhus, is right intention? Intention of renunciation, intention of non-ill will, intention of harmlessness: this is called right intention.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right speech.

And what, bhikkhus, is right speech? Abstinence from false speech, abstinence from divisive speech, abstinence from harsh speech, abstinence from idle chatter: this is called right speech. False speech, repeatedly pursued, developed, and cultivated, is conducive to hell, to the animal realm, and to the sphere of afflicted spirits; for one reborn as a human being false speech at minimum conduces to false accusations.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right action.

And what, bhikkhus, is right action? Here, someone, having abandoned the destruction of life, abstains from the destruction of life; with the rod and weapon laid aside, conscientious and kindly, he dwells compassionate toward all living beings. Having not abandoned the destruction of life, someone destroys life; he is murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings. He creeps along by body, speech, and mind. His bodily kamma is crooked; his verbal kamma is crooked; his mental kamma is crooked. His destination is crooked; his rebirth is crooked. But for one with a crooked destination and rebirth, I say, there is one of two destinations: either the exclusively painful hells or a species of creeping animal. And what are the species of creeping animals? The snake, the scorpion, the centipede, the mongoose, the cat, the mouse, and the owl, or any other animals that creep away when they see people. Thus a being is reborn from a being; one is reborn through one’s deeds. When one has been reborn, contacts affect one. It is in this way, I say, that beings are the heirs of their kamma. Abstinence from the destruction of life, abstinence from taking what is not given, abstinence from sexual misconduct: this is called right action.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right livelihood.

And what, bhikkhus, is right livelihood? Right livelihood, I say, is twofold: there is right livelihood that is affected by taints, partaking of merit, ripening in the acquisitions; and there is right livelihood that is noble, taintless, supramundane, a factor of the path. And what, bhikkhus, is right livelihood that is affected by taints, partaking of merit, ripening in the acquisitions? Here, bhikkhus, a noble disciple abandons wrong livelihood and gains his living by right livelihood: this is right livelihood that is affected by taints…ripening in the acquisitions. And what, bhikkhus, is right livelihood that is noble, taintless, supramundane, a factor of the path? The desisting from wrong livelihood, the abstaining, refraining, abstinence from it in one whose mind is noble, whose mind is taintless, who possesses the noble path and is developing the noble path: this is right livelihood that is noble and a factor of the path. Here a noble disciple, having abandoned a wrong mode of livelihood, earns his living by a right livelihood: this is called right livelihood.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right effort.

And what, bhikkhus, is right effort? One makes an effort to abandon wrong livelihood and to enter upon right livelihood: this is one’s right effort. Mindfully one abandons wrong livelihood, mindfully one enters upon and dwells in right livelihood: this is one’s right mindfulness. Thus these three states run and circle around right livelihood, that is, right view, right effort, and right mindfulness.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right mindfulness.

And what, bhikkhus, is right mindfulness? One of good will, ever mindful, inwardly well concentrated, training to remove longing, is said to be heedful. Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu dwells contemplating the body in the body, ardent, clearly comprehending, mindful, having removed covetousness and displeasure in regard to the world. He dwells contemplating feelings in feelings, ardent, clearly comprehending, mindful, having removed covetousness and displeasure in regard to the world. He dwells contemplating mind in mind, ardent, clearly comprehending, mindful, having removed covetousness and displeasure in regard to the world. He dwells contemplating phenomena in phenomena, ardent, clearly comprehending, mindful, having removed covetousness and displeasure in regard to the world. This is called right mindfulness.

What, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu develops right concentration, which is based upon seclusion, dispassion, and cessation, maturing in release: this is called the path leading to the unconditioned.

Thus, bhikkhus, I have taught you the unconditioned and the path leading to the unconditioned. Whatever should be done, bhikkhus, by a compassionate teacher out of compassion for his disciples, desiring their welfare, that I have done for you. These are the feet of trees, bhikkhus, these are empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not be negligent, lest you regret it later. This is our instruction to you.”[/quote]I would not try to pass this off as Buddhavacana (although it is pieced together from Buddhavacana, namely SN 45.8, AN 10.212, AN 8.40, AN 10.216, SN 11.21, MN 9, SN 43.12 ( xxxviii–xlv), MN 117, & AN 4.30) , but I thought this might be an interesting excersize in exploring possible models for “EBT vaipulya”.

There are a few issues with it :sweat_smile: that mark it as obviously being the product of a mere 2 hours of work, most of it reading, copying, pasting, and formatting, and although I have tried to select examples that I do not think are particularly controversial, it could do with a great deal more thought, particularly since my idea was to make an “expanded” eightfold path exposition, just to show what some early vaipulya might have looked a little bit like, and what vaipulya might appear like with some of their controversial qualities set aside. Ultimately this was just an excuse for me to make a post talking about vaipulya, and their relation to EBTs, but I figured an example of a vaipulya made exclusively from EBTs might be interesting to see.

6 Likes

The only issue we have is that not much of such type of vaipulya sutras seem to have survived.

What we find as vaipulya sutras nowadays are massive texts mostly concerned with depicting divine settings around the Buddha e Boddhisattas.

Yes, here and there you find things that look like original sutta/sutra material, but that is not the focus of those texts or those who worship and frame their spiritual lives around those texts.

Wikipedia has a list of the key vaipulya sutras:

What puzzles me the most is why people got into this the first place. Why did they make the conscious decision of moving away from the down-to-earth, inspiring and practical instructions found in the early texts and fully invested their spiritual life in such kind of texts? :cold_sweat:

Hi there,

I have created my own “vaipulya” expanding Four Noble Truths here: http://www.kompasiana.com/mr_ded/ariyasacca-vibhanga-penjelasan-empat-kebenaran-mulia_54f40974745513942b6c8627 (in Indonesian of course) based on several early suttas (MN 141, SN 56.11, DN 22, SN 22, MN 28, MN 148, MN 9, MN 38, SN 45.8, MN 27, MN 122, and Iti 49)

:smiley:

2 Likes

Well ‘modern’ people believe that wealth brings ultimate happiness. Maybe its better believe that something spiritual might bring it? :slight_smile:

I don’t see how this applies. Vaipulya sutras are closely related to blind worship and material offerings to Bodhisattvas and all things related. It is a sort of manifestation of religious consumerism, as these texts usually call devotees to donate funds to print and get those mambo jambo-filled sutras printed and distributed all over the world.

[quote=“gnlaera, post:5, topic:5398”]
Vaipulya sutras are closely related to blind worship and material offerings to Bodhisattvas and all things related.
[/quote]I think it largely depends on the layer of vaipulya sutra in question. The Lotus Sutra, a manner of vaipulya, is largely concerned with the purported beneficent effects of faith and belief in the Lotus Sutra itself. In addition to this, it argues for faith in the Buddha, Avalokiteśvara, and a host of other figures, in addition to claiming to teach a “one vehicle” (ekayāna) that transcends and outstrips even bodhisatvayāna. It consists mostly of mystical visions that the sangha has while looking at the Buddha, and parables that the Buddha tells, often about mysterious bodhisattvas and buddhas which only appear in Mahāyāna sūtras.

It doesn’t really have a lot of teaching contained within concerning meditation, the eightfold path, emptiness, dependent origination, etc. It seems to tacitly assume that the reader is familiar with the concepts, but does not actually explore them at any length at all, preferring to express what it refers to as “a/the subtle dharma”, which seems to consist, on a bhāvanā level, with mostly faith and subscription to teachings that are found or expounded in other Mahāyāna sūtras. The Lotus Sutra and those like it: these are curious and problematic sūtras, and they are classified as vaipulya.

There is another side to the vaipulya sūtras however, represented by the prajñāpāramitā tradition of vaipulya sūtras, and these sūtras are very different in tone and context from the Lotus Sutra or the Great Parinirvana Sutra. I am currently making my way through Joseph Walser’s Nāgārjuna in Context, which is what got me interested in the historical curiosity that is these sūtras.

Others are perfectly free to disagree, but I think that if any aspect of teachings within Mahāyāna Buddhism that are considered “textually novel” (the implications being that they are also novel doctrines, why wouldn’t they be mentioned sooner if it were not the case?) is also “possibly still orthodox” (as odd as it is to import “orthodoxy” into Buddhism as a concept), it is the discourses found in the prajñāpāramitāsūtrāṇi, which are summarized and coalesced into a compact form very neatly in the apocryphal Chinese Heart Sūtra, which, rather than being a sūtra-proper (the earliest manuscripts indicate that it was originally a dhāraṇī), is a bit of a “reverse-vaipulya”: filtering a massive amount of literature into a few core concepts. I’m sure almost all of us have read this text at least once, or encountered it.

The emptiness teachings contained within is a teaching that many, even those whose Buddhism is primarily informed by Pāli tradition, find acceptable, provided that they read the term and concept of “emptiness” as being the same usage as in the older Pāli Buddhavacana. A lot of people take issues with prajñāpāramitā emptiness teachigns, they do, after all, come from a latter period of Buddhist literature, but they also constitute the older layer of vaipulya practice, and prajñāpāramitā likely predates latter Mahāyāna teachings like Tathāgatagarbha (which is a major focus of latter vaipulya).

Most of what I am getting is from Walsner, so my perspective is a bit limited at present. Maybe I am making some unwarranted presumptions I am not realizing?

Either way, I do agree with your criticism of the vaipulya practice at large:[quote=“gnlaera, post:2, topic:5398”]
Why did they make the conscious decision of moving away from the down-to-earth, inspiring and practical instructions found in the early texts and fully invested their spiritual life in such kind of texts?
[/quote]I find the prajñāpāramitāsūtrāṇi to actually resemble Buddhadharma from older periods, I know that this is just an observation and is largely subjective, but to me, they at least look like Buddhavacana. Later materials like the Vairocanasūtra simply don’t read like Buddha’s discourse, they read like someone who is very learned in a Buddhist tradition talking about how the historical Buddha would have explained it. Perhaps I am being entirely too subjective though.

Something else that occurred to me, from my reading of Walser: the prajñāpāramitā sūtras do not always uniformly place the labels “śrāvaka” and “bodhisattva” as in a hierarchy of superiority and domination. Many of them are largely void of the polemics in later sūtra like the Vimalakīrtinirdeśasūtra, which outrightly criticize non-bodhisattvayāna Buddhist practice, and might even disparage Śāriputra occasionally, who is often framed in these latter sūtras as the foremost on the path that is non-bodhisattvayāna, in order to do so.

Walser explains a few theories, some of which are more reasonable than others IMO, that depict a stage of Mahāyāna when it became, in his words, “an embattled minority” in the Buddhist world. I wonder if this is the stage at which Mahāyāna began to conceive of itself as “the great vehicle” (it should be noted that the earlier prajñāpāramitā sūtras aren’t even really truly definable as “Mahāyāna” sūtras, because they have absolutely no mention of any sort of “great vehicle” in them, unlike the later Lotus Sutra, which outrightly calls itself a “Mahayana sutra”, but I have not read every single prajñāpāramitā sūtra (some are absolutely unreasonably long), so does anyone know if I am I wrong in saying this?)

I would never say any uniform statement was justified at all that labelled all prajñāpāramitā sūtras as EBTs, or all early vaipulya as originating in necessarily authentic Buddhavacana that would pass requirements to be called “early” Buddhavacana, but I think that the prajñāpāramitā sūtras intersect importantly with the later stages of early sectarian Buddhism, they originate at the time of the Sarvāstivāda, and Sautrāntika, etc, the very same period we indirectly study by studying and examining EBTS, the period from which we are able to glean what is ideally nonsectarian literature (i.e. the older literature they preserved), dating from a sectarian period.

In addition, many have pointed out that the “historical” Nāgārjuna, and by extension, I suppose, earliest Madhyamaka, is not necessarily easily demonstrable to be a “Mahāyāna” school of Buddhism in the way that we understand “Mahāyāna” today (this is accompanied by a body of literature critiquing later elaborations of Madhyamaka thought, such as Madhyamakaprāsaṅgika, which place Madhyamaka discourse as founded within Yocāgāra perspectives).

Anyways, that is my flimsy justification for this being on-topic for this forum :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

[quote=“seniya, post:3, topic:5398”]
I have created my own “vaipulya” expanding Four Noble Truths here
[/quote]I was considering ending the OP with a challenge, create your own vaipulya collage out of EBT material, the challenging stipulations being that it cannot contradict existing Buddhavacana by placing it in new contexts, and cannot violate teachings given in the original suttas. It is harder to do this than you think! And it actually really tests your knowledge of Buddhavacana, and gets you looking at a lot of suttas you might not have looked at otherwise.

I found it very interesting and calming to put together this experimental EBT vaipulya. I wouldn’t say it was an excersize in contemporary mindfulness or anything, but it was a very nice excuse to read some suttas that I would not have otherwise, and I would kind of suggest the excersize to other people, as it helps to interconnect the teachings, albeit hopefully done in a way that is in-line with those very same teachings.

2 Likes