Electronic reading devices for Buddhist texts

You can take notes with the Kindle Paperwhite.

You just highlight the passage you want and a menu will come up that will let you save that clip to a file on the eReader that you can later copy to your computer.

3 Likes

Sorry to mislead … I was unable to warm to the Paperwhite and sadly it languishes in a drawer.

1 Like

TL;DR +1 for Kindle Paperwhite with backlight.

In addition, I have mine jailbroken, which means I have additional PDF-reading tools on it - one of them reflows simpler PDF documents pretty well (simple means one column, ideally no headers and footers). Reflowing of multi-column material (such as scientific articles is usually a mess on anything).

I specifically bought my Kindlewhite for .pdf files after much research on the strengths and weaknesses of other e-ink devices. My entry was the same: pretty much for the same reasons as the OP @Viveka described - Dhamma .pdf-s. I’ve learned to use it successfully even for scientific .pdf-s… but live panning and zooming it is a pain. Better to use .mobi, .epub, .txt, .html (anything that reflows and resizes naturally) whenever possible. Dhamma stuff often has .epub or .mobi alternatives out there (if nothing else, then sometimes someone else has gone through the trouble of manually adjusting scanning/OCR or .pdf reflow errors to make things human-friendly).

:point_right: Also, for conversions between formats, multi-platform book management program Calibre is a decent tool (getting .pdf reflow right may take some experimentation but it is possible… but a bit tedious and unintuitive at times).

2 Likes

I am actually unable to read sutta central on my Ipad (i,e the site https://suttacentral.net/) . However
https://discources.suttacentral.net/ works fine. Is this an issue with my iPad or is it a Sutta central issue ?

2 Likes

Hi
I haven’t read all the comments, but quite a few.
This option doesn’t seem to have been mentioned.
The iPhone and some browses have a ‘dark theme’ which inverts bkack and white. So the txt will be white on a black background, so there is less light hitting yr eyes.
Best wishes

PS I have to use the Safari browser on my iPhone 5, chrome and Firefox don’t work with SC.

2 Likes

@mevan I could only read some things on my iPad Kindle app. For others it would crash. I bought a Kindle, but I still use the iPad for general search and exploration.

2 Likes

I use both sites on my iPad with the Chrome browser and they are fine.

2 Likes