English Buddha Homages

Here is what I collected until now from my books. Please share any special ones.

Homage to the Blessed One, the Consummate One, the Supremely Enlightened One
-Vimuttimagga

Veneration to that Exalted One, the Arahat, the Enlightened Buddha

Hail to Sakyamuni, the Realized, Worthy and Perfectly Awakened One!

I prostrate to the Perfect Buddha, The best of teachers, who taught that Whatever is dependently arisen is Unceasing, unborn

• Nāgārjuna

Homage to all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas!

3 Likes

This is wrong, the opposite of the truth. Whatever is dependently arisen is samsara. To avoid confusion it is recommended to confine study to Theravada texts.
Nibbana is discerned as an elemental opposite to samsara, and they always remain a duality:

“There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.”—-Ud 8.3

This is the standard Theravada recollection of the Buddha’s qualities:

[1] "There is the case where you recollect the Tathagata: ‘Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.’ At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the Tathagata, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on the Tathagata. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated.—AN 11.13

The recollection of the Buddha has a purpose:

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma.”—-SN 22.87

Let’s not attach and try to understand. Co-Arising is because ignorance. We think we have a self. We think I was born. We think I will die. But in truth we was not born. We won’t die. If even son is not mine. How this self? So if son was said by Buddha to be not mine. Then I’m not the son of my father. None is mine and I’m not of others. Why son is not mine? Oh, everything is non-self. So I have to try see everything as a mirror. Things seems to be in the mirror. But they are not. So because there was the desire because thinking there was a self but in truth there is non-self, out of this ignorance that cause a being to be born. But in reality I’m thinking I am the father. But I’m non-father. And the son is non-son. Buddha said I have leave everything behind when gone from this earth. So what I took as mine is non-mine. So what I took as happiness is non-happiness. So what I took as mine was just co-arising. What thought as caused be me. Is just ignorance. What is ignorance gives birth and death. One has to be born, and after die. What is co-arising is not mine. If that co-arising is not mine. I only thought that it’s mine. There is not being born and there is no death. Being no birth and death for me. Things not being mine. All was just on fire. And the sticks of wood caused the fire. Being no sticks where’s the fire?

So there craving but I wrongly saw it as mine. But it’s not mine. So what not mine is suffering. What cause this suffering? Isn’t this underlying tendency to take things as mine. So the craving is not mine. The birth is not mine. The death and aging will not be mine. All again was on fire. And I fueled it by making these things as mine. But was not mine after all. When I thought I was born. I was really unborn. When I thought I was getting old. All that was just words empty in my mouth. When I thought I can stop this co-arising physically by abusing this body. Buddha once told me samsara is beginning-less. So if samsara is beginning-less then it’s without beginning, being without beginning it’s without birth. Being without birth it’s unborn.

Indeed, there are not many, different, perennial truths In the world, except by means of perception.
So having contrived a speculation from among the views They speak of a duality of “truth” and “falsehood.”-Buddha

@Upasaka_Dhammasara This part
“taught that Whatever is dependently arisen is Unceasing, unborn”
is without typos?

It is not so, nor is it what the Buddha taught, AFAIK (as far as i know).

I’m going to check it. It can be. I would need to look for another version.I will compare versions. Nāgārjuna point is the samsara is without beginning.

From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. -Buddha

So why everything is negative? Unceasing, unborn Because samsara being is with beginning. Do we believe in creator? There was something before the beginning?

And It’s until you get out of samsara there is a end and no new birth for the body.

Even if some get enlightenment it doesn’t mean they got out already. But the liberation is mental. Physically co-arising keeps happening physically to the body. We have examples of enlightenment ones karma still happening. The cause and effect keeps running.

About Ven Angulimala

Being a saint, his mind and heart were firm and invulnerable. But the body, the product of former craving, the symbol and fruit of previous kamma, was still there in present existence and was still exposed to the effects of former evil deeds. Even to the Buddha himself it happened that, as a result of former deeds, Devadatta was able to cause him a slight injury. Also his two chief disciples had to experience bodily violence. The venerable Sariputta had been hit on the head by a mischievous demon, and the venerable Maha-Moggallana was even cruelly murdered. If this occurred in the case of these three Great Ones, how could Angulimala have fully avoided bodily harm — he who in his present life had committed so much evil! Yet, it was only his body that received these blows, but not his mind. That remained in invulnerable equipoise.

He, as an arahant, was also in no need of consolation or encouragement. Hence we may take the Buddha’s words in the sense of reminding Angulimala of the kammic concatenation of the law of sowing and reaping.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/hecker/wheel312.html

So the samsara keeps happening as cause and effect because samsara itself is something physically. Co-arising itself is something physically. It talks about birth and death etc

So that’s what we have to realize. That’s not ours. Then if we realize doesn’t mean it stops. The Arahant see them happening but they don’t react to the arising and ceasing. Their mind is free. To them life it’s like movie :movie_camera: just being projected in-front their eyes. Mentally they are not effected. Buddha suffered physically but he not effected by the pain.

When they get out of samsara. Meaning their last breath. Then there no next life. There can’t even be said of them that they are unborn is the sense of getting soon to born. Not possible. Only the one that are not fully liberated yet go to heaven in the mean while.

We can’t see the beginning of Samsara. How two meaning. It’s so long ago that we can’t be able to see it. And since not believing in a Creator. Or a Being. There was not something before Samsara. No words can be described for it. Being no words. Better say that you empty of word. The word being indescribable. Not even here. It’s unborn.

Is this better?

I salute him, the fully enlightened, the best of speakers, who preached the non-ceasing and the non-arising, the non- annihilation and the non-permanence, non-identity and the
non-difference, the non-appearance and the non-disappearance, the dependent arising, the appeasement of obsessions and the auspicious

Supposedly the book said it’s from Sanskrit. Better right? I think the other other meaning is the same. It just shorter and bad choice of words translation. But still should be understandable.

But there was a nice explanation of wrong view we make, When I was born in the past? Meaning you look for a beginning.

The choice of the above homage is not a good choice of words, I don’t Know if it was from Chinese.

But this work of Whoever wrote it is to my understanding agreeable with early Buddhism

A author said Nāgārjuna didn’t introduce something new. So its the probably wrongly attributed works to him that has some different view then early Buddhism. But who knows who is the correct author. Bunch author nowadays claiming they know.

Here is another supposed homage by Nāgārjuna.

I reverently bow to Gautama who, out of compassion, has taught the true doctrine for the relinquishing of all views.

That’s a nice one

From Upali Sutta(MN56) ;

Of the wise, whose confusion is gone, whose mental barrenness is split asunder, who has won to victory,who is without ill, of very even mind, of grown moral habit, of lovely wisdom,
The ‘All-within,’ the stainless, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of him who has no doubts, rejoicing, the material things of the world renounced, of joyful sympathy,
Who is a recluse, a human being, in his last body, a man,
The peerless, the dustless, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of him who is sure, skilled, the leader away, the excellent charioteer,
The matchless, the shining, of no incertitude, bringing light,
Breaking pride, the hero, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the noblest of men, immeasurable, deep, won to knowledge,
Bringer of security, a knower, on Dhamma standing, self-controlled,
Who has gone beyond attachment, who is freed, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the supreme one, whose lodgings are remote, who has destroyed the fetters, who is freed,
Who speaks amiably, who is purified, the flag laid low, passionless,
Tamed, without impediments, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the seventh seer, trust gone, of threefold wisdom, Brahma-attained,
Washen, skilled in the lines, tranquil, who discovered knowledge.
Breaker of the citadel, Sakka, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the pure one, whose self is developed, who has attained the attainable, the expounder,
The one with recollection, whose vision is clear, not bent on passion, without hatred,
Impassible, attained to mastery, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of him who has gone to the highest, the meditator, inwardly unobstructed, cleansed,
The unattached, the unaiming, the aloof, the attainer of the highest,
The crossed over, the helper across, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the calmed, the one of extensive wisdom, of great wisdom, without greed,
The Tathāgata, the Well-farer, incomparable person, unequalled,
The confident, the accomplished, of this Lord the disciple am I.

Of the cutter off of craving, the Awakened One, obscurity gone, unstained,
Worthy of offerings, the yakkha, the best of persons, beyond measure,
Great, attained to the height of glory, of this Lord the disciple am I.

https://suttacentral.net/mn56/en/horner

1 Like

Wow. Goosebumps. I have read it once. That’s a good one. I think the best we have in Nikāyas. :heart: Thanks for reminding me of that. I will learn to recite but I think it has to be modified.

1 Like

Have you found the Sanskrit for this/these? If you have, can you post them?

It’s says it’s from Sanskrit. I didn’t read to see the source. The author seems good, he said in Introduction that he has books dealing with explaination that Theravada and Mahayana is in some teachings is not following Buddha’s teaching anymore. These kind of scholars are rare. He doesn’t have a side I think.
https://antilogicalism.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/mulamadhyamakakarika.pdf

He uses many Pali reference also. I just found it. It’s my next study book.

Indescribable equaling unborn does not seem accurate to me.

Regarding beginnings: they are unknowable, non discernable, perhaps because they depend on a POV point of view. Some contemporary physics describes Time itself as having a beginning; anything prior to that makes no sense to any being or maths which are temporal.

I understand the beginning of samsara as craving. That can be extinguished per the Four Noble Truths. But extinguishment is not the same thing as impermanence; if it were, no effort would make a difference.

… not better for me. Seems very extrapolated for a view and literary form which depends on contradictions. :slight_smile: I liked that sort of thing a long time ago in this life, not so much now. Trickier is not necessarily better, in my opinion now; perhaps that is a stage of life thing. I’d rather just do the work needing to be done in this life.

Like can the be seen in above Buddha mentions the persons in transmigration trough samsara is effected by craving. Craving doesn’t have to with the beginning of samsara. So co-arising. A human is born with ignorance who we truly are. See a baby so innocent. When we make again the ignorance view of who we are craving start again. That’s in itself is not permanent. And the Sanskrit version is declaring that all those things mentioned is teaching of Buddha. How possible. Remember words can have different meaning. You do not see it because maybe your thinking Nirvana only is Unborn. But is there such thing as Nirvana? As I remember Buddha says in Pali

Then, on realizing the significance of that, the Blessed One on that occasion exclaimed:

One who is dependent has wavering. One who is independent has no wavering. There being no wavering, there is calm. There being calm, there is no yearning. There being no yearning, there is no coming or going. There being no coming or going, there is no passing away or arising. There being no passing away or arising, there is neither a here nor a there nor a between-the-two. This, just this, is the end of stress.[1]

So actually what is declared is truly hard to fathom. Buddha gave a prediction that we not learn the meaning of his deep teaching that void.

Your goal our spiritual life is to see this co-arising as empty, a magic trick. So the other translation just used what reality co-arising will become for the enlightened ones. What Buddha declared of co-arising after someone is Arahant. Is a experience that happens to the mind right? Then the experience of co-arising is as if unborn. So the Truths declared by Buddha starts from beginning level to finally explained then Nirvana was actually what happening. It wasn’t you. Things are Unborn is Reality.

Many things can be declared, accurately or inaccurately, …
What you have offered (for investigation?) is your extrapolation of a memory of a reading of a writing in sanskrit translated by someone which somehow references the Buddha’s Teachings.
It’s not a lot to go on. And to be honest, I feel no yearning to continue exploring this rabbit hole of words; I feel no connections being made out of it.

:slight_smile: I feel a connection in “Homage to the Blessed One”. He’s our most excellent Teacher, and I am grateful His words and practices have been preserved, are studiable and studied, are practical and practiced.

Metta to all beings.

:pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4:

True is we can’t really understand exactly what was the intention.

Because this is like the Chanting was done by Sangha. It’s in negatives and postives.

Take care. :v:

1 Like

Here is another one of Nāgārjuna from Tibet. But from a different text. :joy:

Homage to the great Sage
Who taught dependent origination, The means by which are eliminated Arising and destruction.

Strange to see the differences :joy:

Hi Upasaka_Dhammasara,

Have you read this thread?

1 Like

I don’t know what’s the reason I need correct explanation. But I will read. Thanks for your suggestion.