SuttaCentral EPUBs are go!

I just noticed that the EPUB downloads are failing with “Failed - Server Problem” (in Chrome).

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up, @blake can you look at this?

Is there any update on this? I know it’s hard to say, but how out of date would the epubs from July be? Like on a scale of same—little change—huge change?
EDIT: Or put another way, if I’m going to do a project with the epubs, should I go ahead and use from July, or better to wait.

1 Like

Better to wait, I have alerted our developers to this multiple times, I will remind them once more. I am almost certain it will be a trivial configuration fix.

2 Likes

Bhante @Sujato,

It looks like in the SN epub the Samyutta headings are simply “Linked Discourses 1” etc. Other than the guide, the actual names of the samyuttas are not in the texts.

I can’t find an original copy of the files when the books first came out. Is this intentional or a bug? I’m going to put them back in in the editions I release, but it would be nice if they are included in the auto generated. Really great if they could included both Pali and English.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks for the feedback, we will review this at some point, hopefully next year. So far our main efforts have simply been to get them working at all!

4 Likes

Sadhu! For that I am extremely grateful

3 Likes

Bhante

Many thanks for the Nikayas. Using a Mac with Safari or Chrome. Downloaded Digha and Majjima successfully.

Others are get downloaded as 37 bytes with a .json extension.

Any advice to download the rest.

1 Like

Greetings, and welcome to the forum
yasajaya :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for your post, and look forward to seeing you around :grinning:

Thanks for the feedback. I tested these not long ago and they were fine, now they give me “Failed: server problem”. We’ll look into it, maybe it was an update or something.

If you have a burning need for the other books, you can get them here:

The 2019 version of the SN is not uploaded yet but should be there in a couple of days.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the swift responses.
Thank you for the welcome.
I have now downloaded all the pubs.
Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

2 Likes

We’re looking into the bug, but haven’t found it yet. :sob:

Many greetings. Two points:
a) The .json bug appears to have come back again. I downloading from a Mac, using Monterey 12.0.1 through Safari Ver 15.1. The downloads have something like this: dn_en_sujato.epub.json. I tried to rename the file removing .json. It does not open in Apple Books. Any work around please?
b) Also, how do I contact a moderator directly?
Thank you.

Tag them @moderators .

1 Like

Yup tag them within your post, @anon6379261, or you might prefer to send us a PM to @moderators if it’s not a public matter.

Sorry about this, the EPUbs are broken, and we are working on a fix. We should flag it on the site, but so far have not done so.

If anyone has ideas or asks for EPUBs, you can make a thread here or check through the issues in our upcoming project:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: A temporary topic

Please refer to this thread for updates about the epub version of the Sutta Pitaka.