Equanimity is not the foremost quality

I remember finding a discourse, a few months ago, that asks whether different qualities are the foremost of all or not, and then the Buddha makes a distinction within that quality: it may increase the skillful and decrease the unskillful (that’s the good version) or do the opposite (that’s the wrong version). One of these qualities is equanimity (upekkhā).

I can’t find that discourse now. Any help? @sujato

3 Likes

Are you thinking of DN 21?

Why did I say that there are two kinds of equanimity? Take an equanimity of which you know: ‘When I cultivate this kind of equanimity, unskillful qualities grow, and skillful qualities decline.’ You should not cultivate that kind of equanimity. Take an equanimity of which you know: ‘When I cultivate this kind of equanimity, unskillful qualities decline, and skillful qualities grow.’ You should cultivate that kind of equanimity. And that which is free of placing the mind and keeping it connected is better than that which still involves placing the mind and keeping it connected. That’s why I said there are two kinds of equanimity.

8 Likes

Thanks @Christopher

This was definitely the idea. Less sure whether this was the specific sutta I read but also quite likely. Thanks!