Equanimity ( upekkha )

Hi friends ,

Can anybody tell me what the difference between upekha in the 4 immeasurable or brahma vihara and upekha in
The 7 factors of enlightenment ?!

Thank you .

In the discussion linked below, it was suggested that they are the same and no objection was raised so…Maybe safe to assume they are the same. In fact, Equanimity ( upekha ) is the only Brahma Vihara to explicitly appear in the 37 and 7 factors.

2 Likes

Brahma Vihara is dependent upon a reflection on kamma:

“All living beings are the owners of their actions, heir to their actions… Whatever they do, for good or for evil, to that will they fall heir.”

Factor of Enlightenment is dependent upon vipassana:

A bhikkhu trains thus: ‘I shall breathe in contemplating impermanence’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe out contemplating impermanence’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe in contemplating fading away’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe out contemplating fading away’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe in contemplating cessation’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe out contemplating cessation’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe in contemplating relinquishment’; trains thus: ‘I shall breathe out contemplating relinquishment’—on that occasion a bhikkhu abides contemplating Dhamma as Dhamma, ardent, fully aware and mindful, having put away covetousness and grief for the world. Having seen with wisdom the abandoning of covetousness and grief, he closely looks on with equanimity.

A bhikkhu abides contemplating Dhamma as Dhamma, ardent, fully aware, and mindful, having put away covetousness and grief for the world…the equanimity enlightenment factor is aroused in him, and he develops it, and by development it comes to fulfilment in him.

MN 118

:anjal:

@DaoYaoTao ~ @Deeele ,

Thank you .

:anjal:

2 Likes