Euthanasia, Assisted Suicide & the First Precept | Ajahn Nisabho

In this talk, Ajahn Nisabho speaks about the Buddhist understanding of euthanizing pets and “legally-assisted dying”, describing how the traditional view diverges from the current liberal consensus in the West. The sanctity of life, and in particular of a human or human-proximate life, is considered paramount.

I know this is a controversial topic, in which the traditional Theravāda view diverges from the current liberal consensus (at least in regards to legally-assisted dying), but I also feel it’s an extremely important one, as the relevant laws are expanding in scope and beginning to affect more people. I hope it can be discussed with care. I don’t wish to initiate a debate on this issue, simply to bring this perspective to your attention for your wise consideration.

Relevant articles detailing the long-term effects of legally-assisted dying laws include: “I’m 28. And I’m Scheduled to Die in May”: [‘I’m 28. And I’m Scheduled to Die in May.’] and the Atlantic’s “The Outer Limits of Liberalism”: [How Canada’s Assisted-Suicide Law Went Wrong - The Atlantic]

7 Likes