Examples of what could be anarchist philosophy in suttas?

Hi! I want to start this off with a declaration that I’m not looking for general political philosophies in the EBTs.

I’m more so curious if we have examples of what could be interpreted as being analogous to anarchist political philosophy being supported in the EBTs?

2 Likes

My favorite is SN 42.13 where the Buddha and his interlocutor agree that the Koliyan police are “among those in the world who are immoral and of bad character.”

If you search this forum for anarchy, you’ll find Bhante @Sujato has spoken and written about this a few times already.

4 Likes

Never heard this one. I am pumped.

So AKCAB is canon? How blissful! :smiley:

More seriously, I’m also very interested in this topic. While we clearly won’t find an anarchist political philosophy here as the OP has stated, there is clearly material for antiauthoritarian social organisation and the critique of e.g. capitalistic greed in there.

2 Likes

People walking around in the Forest to perfect their Minds instead of their wallets; a destructarilization of a society based off of killing (stopping the slaughter of animals, a peaceful Ahimsa approach to life, no taking of lives) and a creation of a Sangha instead, ordained by the Highest Wisdom protected by the Authority of all Devas that modern society tends to misrepresent or ignore.

There is Organization based on the Middle-Way, and the Middle-Way is free from the hindrance of greed. Namaste.

1 Like

Siddhartha Gautama chose to become a monk but not a crowned head or a political ruler of his kingdom. He became the so-called Buddha.

1 Like