Expertise plugin

To you maybe, but not to Newbies. I’m not a newbie but confess to being frequently confused about the veracity/good sense of what I read here. And while I happened to bring with me to the forum a set of academic tools that could help me check, w don’t in reality have the time

3 Likes

As someone who does work for the main site (as SuttaCentral’s in house Sanskrit editor-translator), I feel it would at least be transparent and helpful if people know that this is a role I hold. I would myself also like to know who is doing work for the main site (not always 100% obvious, as not every SC project has been advertised, and many people here actually contribute to the main site in some capacity).

I had opted to use the “regular” tag to convey this, but it does not really capture the level of commitment I have to the main site.

One of the concerns I had experienced about taking on the Sanskrit material was that it would be of limited public relevance. If people are actively engaging with me in that role (more likely once texts are published), it helps me to know what is useful or not. Also, people will know who they can address questions to.

Our nunnery is tiny and still developing a support base, these days I am doing SuttaCentral work mostly just for the love of it & out of gratitude to monastic friends. The more visibility there is around the work I do, the easier it is to justify spending time on it amid among other pressing needs.

#justmytwocents #yestoexperts

9 Likes

Of the top of my head, Brahmali, Suvira, Vimalanyani, Dhammanando … and probably others, I’m sure. Maybe you too!

I’ll start, and then we’ll have a circle. Experts in the field know how to recognize other experts, that’s how it works. The very fact that people don’t understand how this works, and think there’s a problem with the notion of recognizing expertise, is precisely why it’s needed. And it’s why, with few exceptions, experts avoid this kind of forum.

On the contrary, the recognition of women’s achievements is one of the main reasons that expertise should be explicitly acknowledged and respected.

3 Likes

Tagging expertise is actually a great way to help encourage women’s participation.

The problem is more that women’s expertise often remains untagged.

7 Likes

Thank you Ayya! :pray: We talked about expertise a little bit today: how many people know your level of expertise when it comes to Buddhist languages? You deserve to be recognized, you’ve done the work, and when you give your opinion, it has the weight of many years of study and practice behind it.

4 Likes

That’s what I thought, but if I’m reading them correctly, the FAQ suggests that you have to be a ‘serious practitioner’ too. Which I think maybe excludes non Buddhists?

Over time, it has evolved into a site for serious practitioners, both lay as well as monastic, to discuss their understanding of the Early Buddhist Texts (EBT) as well as their application to Life.

2 Likes

That’s not prescriptive. I think it’s reasonable to assume a certain degree of serious interest in the topic, but it shouldn’t matter whether you’re a Buddhist or not.

1 Like

I think that a flag for “:star:Official Translator” would be very useful and easy to define. Either you have translations published on the site or not. An additional tag of “Sanskrit->English”, “Pali->French” would be useful.

I guess when I was thinking about the requirement of “has made substantive contributions to the field (essays, publications, and the like)” I was thinking along the lines of academic publications, not translations.

And if you just made “Official Translator” into a group, that could be done immediately without a plugin. It would also allow them to have group discussions privately but accessable to all memebers of the group (without having to make PM’s).

Absolutely. I wish I knew that.

I’m assuming you were addressing that to the general readership, because I have no qualification let alone expertise in translation. Which is why I appreciate being able to participate in the forum.

4 Likes

This is probably not the right thread to discuss this, but I think the wording might be discouraging to non ‘practitioners’, who may have expertise in related fields.

Excellent. It should start with you. As the circle becomes bigger there will inevitably be some grey areas to be negotiated, but that would be fine.

Bhante, you continue in the same paragraph to refer to ‘ego’. I trust you aren’t under the misapprehension that I made that comment. It should be attributed to another.

Maybe; I don’t think that was the intent, but you might want to raise it with the mods.

Apologies, it was confusingly phrased, I have removed that bit.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t believe in denoting quality through titles originating in male exclusive religious authority circles. Universities were set up worldwide by religious men of authority who unfortunately discriminated and who are still privileged today. If it would change anything, the percentage of women receiving a Nobel Prize for their scientific contribution would exceed 2.77 percent by 2022 - the number of female experts has but soared. It doesn’t change by giving and using titles. Have women ever invented titles to begin with, for example to distinguish women on the basis of their marital status? They didn’t. So why hold on to the titles of male supremacy—which for decades didn’t allow women to enter universities—to recognise the expertise of women?

I don’t think there’s a proposal that we give tags to ourselves!!! Tho that might produce some interesting situations.

It’s often the case that the very greatest experts are very humble people. It may have something to do with feeling that they no longer have anything to prove, or it may be to do with them being so well positioned to see the vast amount they still don’t know.

That’s a bit different from the process starting from the centre as you described to me. Hopefully not all members would be empowered to endorse posts, else we could end up with the ignorant endorsing the ignorant. A frightening scenario!

4 Likes

Clearly you don’t follow modern political news. Good for you! :rofl:

4 Likes

I love your typo. :rofl:

1 Like

Alternatively I propose: that without a certain humble character you would not undergo the process of exploring a matter in the needed undistracted style to become “expert” at all. (“undistracted” by -say- social, economic, psychological, egomanic, … priorities)

1 Like

Just one more aspect which I’ve not yet seen here.

Assume that endorsement-process works well, and very well, and even more well, and a number of experts become endorsed experts by D&D/SC… That will surely improve their professional reputation much, and, having made experiences with the impact that the so-called “citation-index” has for expert to be invited to a higher carrier, we should expect the same effect very soon after having such an expertise-endorsement installed. I’m not much an expert :wink: in the scientific jobs machine but from the area of research mathematics I know of cheating technologies being used; one of the worst I’ve read about is that of founding a journal with collegues in an institute, publish many of your ideas as articles, cite & and get-cited-by your colleges and thus improve your “citation-index” and “impact-factor”. (I’ve found a controverse about such a case some years ago, and think that this procedere has been grown out/riped with the expansion of the electronic journals).

Are we (or better our own experts) prepared to handle such a scenary? Possibly moderate a request from some expert in the field to be “kindly included” in our endorsed-experts-database? Or moderate a growing number of contributions to the D&D-site, which are only motivated by the attempt to get the “expert”-badge? “Flooding of forums” with stretching the moderators engagement over their capacity is a troll’s trick (just for fun!) that I’ve learned about in the 90’ies in the usenet-newsgroups.
This couple of aspects should be taken to heart when the installation of an experts-plugin is considered.

As a resource for reading experiences from elsewhere: there is a forum for professional/research mathematics which has also a long meta-discussion, touching many aspects which might be interesting to read (One current example MO but an interested one should start at the main site). I think, they’ve managed it very well, and perhaps some moderator of ours might take a historical course through that always lively meta-discussions from, I think, 2010 on. (From there I got my information about the “E.E.Escultura”-institute and their journal with the massive mutual citations of members and a more recent one which might have become problematic as well)

1 Like

Well, I’m not very interested in being tagged with a given status. I’d rather not stand on pedestals but mingle with the crowd. And sometimes I think it suppresses people’s natural inclinations to debate or engage in discussion with someone who (is considered) of higher status. Or the opposite happens, people will dislike someone simply because a label like that gets put next to their profile. I guess I’m not into such formalities much.

10 Likes

This thread has raised many interesting issues. I’ve noticed that some people come here from “other” (more “normal”?) forums, and are surprised that this Forum is trying to be more like an “real life” experience, where constant arguing back and forth is discouraged. Mostly, but not always, they adjust.

I’ve been reflecting on what is different about an in person experience and most forums. It’s partly that being overly argumentative in person stands out so starkly. Also, if people have made an effort to travel to a monastery or other meeting place there is more of a sense of occasion. And, getting more to the point of this thread, it’s much more obvious which people are authoritative and worth listening to. That authoritativeness is, of course, obvious if someone is leading a session, but there are many other clues in real life.

And even putting aside the idea of “experts”, in real life there tends to be much more willingness to consider different views and approaches, whereas the format of forums seems to encourage argumentation for the “right” approach. There is much more nuance.

So, if a forum is going to be more of a real life experience, there has to be both way to not only figure out who is authoritative, but also a willingness amongst all members to listen to alternative views. One of the key problems is then the boundary where those alternative views are so out of kilter and distracting that they need to be ignored in the context. Even in real life, I’ve see the occasional heckler come to a Buddhist meeting and asks “Why aren’t you mentioning Jesus?”. In real life, it usually becomes obvious that no one is interested, and the meeting is about something else. and they don’t come back. That’s a very black and white example, though.

In terms of having a more “real life” experience, I think it is very helpful to have clarity about the purpose of the site, and who has expertise, or is providing key support. It also needs to be absolutely clear, as has been mentioned, that this is about expertise that supports the purpose and aims of the site. Others may have expertise in Jesus (to connect back to my example above), and that’s fine, it’s just not relevant here.

4 Likes

Unfortunately Charles, it’s not about you. It’s about when you say, “The Chinese word 法 means dharma”, and JoeRandom549 says “I think 法 means stale pancakes”. It happens all the time. A user who genuinely wants to understand has no context or ability to judge which is correct. We simply want to give some context that says, “Charles knows Chinese.”

That’s it! There’s no difference in how conversations happen or anything like that. It’s a bit of helpful context that recognizes that, whether you like it or not, you are not the same as everyone else. You have devoted many years of labor and love to master a difficult topic. I know this, so when i hear you speak on this topic, I pay attention. Others don’t know this, but they should.

Folks, sorry but you’re way overthinking this. None of these things will happen. What will happen is that an expert will have a bit of a green line on their post so you can tell when someone is speaking from a background of experience. That’s all.

5 Likes