Facebook is bad and you should stop using it

I think one mustn’t be rigid so much that they find it hard to go on Facebook, if needed.

2 Likes

I just found out I can still delete my Facebook app. I guess blackberry wasn’t important enough a corporation for Facebook to make an agreement with!

2 Likes

I agree, I just have strong reservations about social media.

I’m an adopted person and have been in contact with a number of birth relatives over the years, Ireland and USA - I have to grudgingly admit that Facebook is a good way of keeping in touch with them.:yum:

3 Likes

…“this video cannot be shown in your location”… (I’m in germany)

Thank you for that critical perspective, and I do recognize the truth and value of your suggestion. But I also think this warning refers to the brain as a rather passive spectator in Facebook’s meddling with our subconsciousness.

But from a media-critc POV…like mine…I do not see the hazard. In fact being aware of the nature and various overlays of conditioned provocations just keeps it interesting for me. With an air of dispassion one can see clearly the self centered prerequisites for the general population. I belong to a couple of historical pictorial sites which fill me with appreciation for the geography that I have lived and loved. And I occasionally laugh at the world through the eyes of my fellow Facebookers. Yet I believe there is truth in your warning. But why you gonna throw that baby out with the bath water. Has the baby nothing to offer? :grin:

2 Likes

… attachment is not a baby, what cultivates it is not either. Laughing at the world is not dispassion. Be careful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are few institutions in the world, digital or otherwise, that are wholly good or wholly bad. The challenge is to be critically aware, dispassionately involved and to know when/how to step back. IMHO.

5 Likes

Quite right. Laughter is most likely a sort of defense. But I agree with this statement as well:

It’s a kind of aversion or conceit

I have no information regarding this. Can you suggest beginning reference regarding the nature of humor as it pertains to Buddha? My search turned up no reference, but maybe I did not do it right?

Laughing at someone is a defilement. But laughing with someone is metta IMO.

1 Like

Dropping this here. McNamee was an early investor in Facebook.

I think gentle humour is fine. Laughing with, not at.

1 Like

I love the gentle humor of Ajahn Brahm, which is mostly self-deprecatory I think. But surely the Buddha must have had a sense of humor? If only the Buddha had been able to use the internet, we would all know the right view of humor.

2 Likes

I confess to having several (5?) Marabook accounts for exchanging information in different contexts. I would have fewer but I keep forgetting my passwords.

1 Like

I have no idea what that is? Do I need a MaraBook account to keep up with my temptation list? :kissing_heart::smiley::roll_eyes::smirk::open_mouth::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Only if you wish to talk via Face(Mara)Book.

1 Like

Oh…no, I have some questions for Mara though. Is his/her spokesman available?

2 Likes

Oh my, a moment please. I am so verklempt now. So many things I have been wanting to ask you. First is can you confirm that that guy Trump is your offspring, and second will you please leave me alone? Thank you for your time Mr. Mara
With Metta for all of your fine efforts to corrupt human beings. Still very effective!

1 Like

Thank you Your Excellency, I choose the realm of the Bodhisattva. With Metta, Dear Mara.

1 Like