Faults and attainments?

I think a better translation may be possible

sādhu, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kālena kālaṃ attavipattiṃ paccavekkhitā hoti. Sādhu, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kālena kālaṃ paravipattiṃ paccavekkhitā hoti. Sādhu, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kālena kālaṃ attasampattiṃ paccavekkhitā hoti. Sādhu, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kālena kālaṃ parasampattiṃ paccavekkhitā hoti.

Bhikkhus, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings. It is good for him from time to time to review the failings of others. It is good for him from time to time to review his own achievements. It is good for him from time to time to review the achievements of others. AN8.7

It’s going to be difficult if not downright impossible to review the attainments of others.

With metta

Mat

The context here is the downfall of Devadatta, and the text speaks of the eight worldly dhammas. So I think here vipatti/sampatti is speaking at mundane level, “failures and successes”, not about meditation attainments as such.

1 Like

That’s what I thought as well. Would strengths and weaknesses, or failures and successes be better in light of the Self-assessment which is recommended?

With metta

Mat