Filial piety Sutta

Hello all,

I’ve asked a question previously about the correct mental attitude in repaying debt to parents. The Sutta doesn’t specifically say what is the correct mental attitude but previous discussion brought me to an understanding where thinking about repaying debts to parents is a wholesome deed but not to be obsessed with this thought, although I’m not really sure how can one repeatedly engage in this (repaying his parents debt) intentional action without being obsessed by it.

But does anyone know if repaying debt to our parents as mentioned in Anguttara Nikaya is also spoken by Buddha? Thanks.

i think that means not trying to fullfil that obligation against all odds, i.e. not being fanatic about it, and not experiencing a sense of guilt at times when the obligation isn’t or cannot be fulfilled

maybe this discussion will be of interest to yourself

Thanks @LXNDR for the link. I’ve visited it before, it says filial piety sutra of Mahayana was influenced by confucianism but similar sutra also found in Pali Canon which has been provided in the link you provided i.e. AN 2:33.

I understand we shouldn’t be fanatical about it but is engaging in “repay debt to parents” thought can be considered a good thought habit? When you repeatedly doing this action, this intention/thought will naturally follow too. It will naturally dwell in the mind and becomes a habit, won’t it?

Why not just use the brahmaviharas, for example? Why use filial piety at all?

One’s parents are not biologically worthy of respect, one’s caregivers are worthy of respect because of their acts. Most times, parents are also caregivers, but not necessarily.

So it’s caregiver piety, really, and with this in mind, why single out the parents? I don’t see this as a debt in either case, I see it as a warrant for thoroughgoing respect, and that only in case the caregivers have not caused thoroughgoing harm.

It’s more complicated than “debt to parents”, you see, so that phrase as a thought-habit may or may not be useful. Depends what you mean with it.