First noble truth: what is suffering or what suffering is?

I agree.

To me the Pali is very natural and inspiring, while many English translations are a bit dry and technical at times.

I translate for myself usually. To have English ones I resonate with, but mostly to learn: translating forces you to reconsider the Pali on various levels. Every now and then I find something new, and every time it happens to result in a more natural reading. (like this)

Here you go then, from SN56.11: (draft :wink: )

Now, mendicants, according to the the truth known by the noble ones, this is what suffering is: Birth is suffering. Old age is suffering. Sickness is suffering. Death is suffering. Being with what you dislike is suffering. Being apart from what you like is suffering. Not getting what you want is suffering. In short, the five fueling heaps are suffering.

And according to the truth known by the noble ones, this is what suffering’s origin is: It is the craving that leads to a next life, which, along with enjoyment and desire, looks for enjoyment in various places, namely: craving for sense objects, craving to be, and craving to be annihilated.

And according to according to the truth known by the noble ones, this is what suffering’s cessation is: It is the complete fading away, cessation, relinquishment, giving up, non-existence, and non-abiding of that same craving.

And according to the truth known by the noble ones, this is what the practice that makes suffering cease is: It is the noble eightfold path, which consists of right view, right intentions, right speech, right actions, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right unification of the mind.

1 Like