Fixing HTML on legacy texts

Yes, but this has already been covered, and you suggested should be left for Blake or Hongda to convert by a script (in the first instance, I believe, so as to avoid breaking any code that requests stuff, or whatever). Of course, I could implement those changes too and they can just sit in my working branch until they are ready to be merged. That said, given the markup reducx thread, looks like what was previously discussed might need some tweeking.

Yes and no, there was talk of using main (#1365), but not for this (and yes as per the ticket, that would be added to the application page). The idea had been to shift the lang attribute into the <article>.

Okay, great. Thanks.

Yes, again, this was already agreed (see first point of this reply).

Overall, I think this is perfectly excellent, but as with my comment on the markup reducx thread while in many instances the proposed <article>, <section> divisions work well, in at least the case of vagga suttas, I think it might be overly forcing the definition of the elements to fit a nice scheme.

Likewise, thinking on the fly, I might wonder about assuming <article> equals a sutta (ie. no class), unless a vagga class is given (ie <article class="vagga">) (no need to spend any time shooting it down, I mention it already full well knowing it isn’t a pretty and satisfying as the markup alignment you want to make; I’m just sayin’…)

In any case, nice link! Nice articles (well, the couple that I read). Actually, though both bring out a really cool balance of the point, (1) push back against wild class proliferation is better understood in the context of popular frameworks with utterly mental class usage (2) the goal of classlessness is a wonderful idea in terms of social structure (okay, I added that bit), but is a bit OTT in terms of HTML. A better goal is to use classes that “are explicit and reasoned”, not just get rid of them all lest naming pandemonium breaks out as hilariously described in the article.

Neat, because I couldn’t either, but this was just based on looking at what I found in the files and is why I was keen for someone to explain the purpose of its presence.

Good point!

:laughing: Very good!

1 Like