Free speech or Right speech?

I guess one could argue it’s the tone that wasn’t. Perhaps one could have pointed out in which way what had been written was exaggerated to the point of being misleading. Free speech and Right speech can go hand in hand.

3 Likes

Yeah, but you could have simply replied, “That is false.”

4 Likes

If buddhist strive for right speech then that indicate restrictions . In this forum there is censorship , means there is no absolute free expression in speech . With tos clearly stated the guidelines no one can cross the border and mod with authorised power in control this is in contradict with free speech .

Given Frankfurt’s definition isn’t what you have written xxxxx?

“Frankfurt determines that XXXX is speech intended to persuade (a.k.a. rhetoric), without regard for truth.”

Is it possible that the word xxxxx could be used, on this forum, in certain context. For example perhaps it could be used if you wanted to provide a link to a book which had xxxxx in the title and that book was relevant to the conversation.

2 Likes

If someone were to attack me with harsh speech, I wouldn’t like it. But if I were to attack someone else with harsh speech, they wouldn’t like it either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by someone else. Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on others?
SN 55.7

I voted for “free speech bounded by right speech.” I’m not against discussing anything, but I feel that it’s important to discuss sensitive or potentially divisive topics with care and consideration for their social implications. It would be irresponsible otherwise.

5 Likes

I also voted ‘free speech bounded by right speech’ with the same thing i mind.

I think it’s a bad mistake to censor certain ideas or opinions, but I think it’s good to censor certain ways of expressing ideas and opinions.

It’s basically what I would expect from a discussion between mature people with good intentions; focus on the ideas and reasoning, trying to understand the other persons point of view, respectful disagreement, no personal attacks etc.

6 Likes