Excellent. Thanks! :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Continuing:

• Einheit des Geistes

It’s fascinating how:

• Geist is a ghost
  • Geiste is a spirit
  • Geistes is mind

It reminds me of someone who said, “when you say ‘mind’, you touch your head. When we say ‘mind’, we touch our hearts”

1 Like

More examples:

• sacrificial post | Opferpfahl (5 results)

Number one result is AN 7.47, where the Buddha explains how to make a proper sacrifice, without killing many animals. The term also connects the different texts (except the Jataka) mentioned in this interesting essay about the future Buddha Metteyya, some really awkward Brahmanical rituals, horses, kings, and the effort to make someone smile … :open_mouth: In other words: cool mythological stuff!

• Schmuck und ein Bestandteil (EN already there)

• good, sister | gut, Schwester (2 results)

Points to AN 7.53, a Sutta with the amazing lay practitioner Veḷukaṇṭakī, Nanda’s mother; and still to MN 146 which reports a talk given to the nuns.

• a Realized One exists after death | ein Klargewordener besteht nach dem Tod (17 results)

which is the first of the famous “undeclared points” that the Buddha did not teach.

• vielleicht nicht mein (EN already there)

• einnicken (EN already there)

• ob bei Tag oder bei Nacht (EN already there)

• nichts ist es wert, daran festzuhalten (EN already there)

• ergreift.* nichts in der Welt (EN already there)

• astute, competent, clever, learned | klug, fähig, verständig und gelehrt (2 results)

which are the qualities ascribed to the nun Khema; and the phrase has still another occurrence in MN 84.

I am still adding for English (non of those Suttas has been translated into German yet):

• gather all the mendicants

This points to instances where the Buddha asks Ananda to call all the mendicants together. It happens very rarely in the Suttas, only on three occasions (possibly a few more times in the Vinaya). This means these occasions are very special, and the Buddha considers it important that all the mendicants hear what he has to say.

• Two occasions are in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta DN 16. The first one is when towards the end of the Buddha’s life king Ajatasattu decides to start a war against the Vajjis, and his minister Vassakara sees that the best way to defeat them is by sewing dissent among them → the Buddha then explains to the mendicants seven principles that prevent decline.
  • On the second occasion, also in DN 16, the Buddha calls together the entire Sangha after he has decided to pass away within three months and highlights to them which teachings he considers important.
  • And the third occasion is in SN 54.9, where the Buddha, after many monks have killed themselves, teaches the remaining mendicants a “softer” meditation technique than the contemplation of ugliness, namely breath meditation.
1 Like

Thank you for all these new examples! :pray:

This one in particular prompted me immediately to read DN16, which says some quite remarkable things such as:

DN16:1.7.4: As long as the mendicants don’t relish work, loving it and liking to relish it, they can expect growth, not decline.

Shall we add “relish work” as an example? :thinking:

1 Like

Why not? It has a reasonable number of results, namely 11.

But in DN 16 it is also important to understand it in the context of the time and occasion, which is beautifully pointed out here by Ayya Vimalañani.

1 Like

And … haha! … it is already in the examples!

1 Like

Oh dear. Then this means that perhaps I chose to forget it as a disturbing memory. :grimacing: :laughing:

it’s a difficult example, because it appears to be in conflict with rousing energy. And it certainly jars with western goals of being passionate about work.

But when I look at it carefully, I understand that to work for delight is indeed not good because it leads to greater craving. Work for what is needed, not what is desired.

Thanks for Ayya Vimalañani’s video. Now listening…

(a bit later…)
Ah good! Ayya is just now talking about relishing work. She simply points out that relishing work leads to huge temples and tourist attractions. I’m sure she would have more to say, but DN16 is a long sutta and that is only one line in a long sutta.

If we look for “relish work” ourselves, we find the top search result, which adds the following interesting clarification:

AN5.89:2.3: They don’t relish work, talk, sleep, and company. And they review the extent of their mind’s freedom.

From this we might understand that relishing work would be to transgress the extent of the mind’s freedom. And this makes sense to me since every time I have relished work it has gone nowhere and been of no use to anyone.

1 Like

Added “mindfulness and situational awareness” to examples after a long discussion with Ven. @Bhikkhupragnapal. Although it returns 30 suttas, it is a core learning for contemporary distracted people who misunderstand what being present means.

Venerable Pragnapal, here is the list of matched suttas for your reference:

mindfulness_and_situational_awareness.pdf (84.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you. I am hesitating to add “Achtsamkeit und Umsicht” because that would most likely return twice as many results, if not more. Bhante sometimes abbreviates “mindfulness and situational awareness” to just “mindfulness and awareness” in verse contexts which the German does not, as the term is already very concise; also, it appears often at the end of longer lists, and in that case the English adds a comma, “mindfulness, and situational awareness” which makes it a different term. German does not have a comma in such a place.

1 Like

Yikes! Thanks for explaining the difficulty. I hope there might some combination of German words that would not overwhelm?

The problem we were discussing is that people often misunderstand mindfulness as “sinply pay attention to what you are doing.” That is a good mindset, but also shallow. We should pay attention to the cars around us while we drive. But we also need to be situational aware and know the context in which we drive. We also have to be aware of our destination, timing, weather, etc.

Curiously, only 6 suttas are found for “Satisampajañña”. However, that is translated as “mindfulness and situational awareness”. :see_no_evil:

5.192 an8.81
5.072 an10.61
4.056 an10.62
2.053 an8.9
2.048 sn47.8
1.002 dn2

1 Like

Erm. Like is it possible to create something like “Achtsamumsichtkeit” for these 6 suttas?

Or perhaps we could match a phrase “mindfulness and situational awareness” to a search for “Satisampajañña” somehow in the example files… :thinking:

1 Like

In the Suttas, mindfulness (sati) mostly refers to meditation practice, whereas situational awareness (sampajañña) is described as being aware of the context and the situation, actually it’s what nowadays is often called “mindfulness in daily life”. A good explanation is for example found in SN 47:35.

Perhaps a good term can be “live mindful and aware” | “achtsam und umsichtig leben” (3 results).

1 Like

Wow. So now THAT is also a great example…but it is a list of different suttas :open_mouth:

…uhhh…

1 Like

Please no experiments before the 11th …

1 Like

:laughing: just thoughts. no action.

How are you doing for Friday?

1 Like

I am adding those now.

1 Like

I guess the biggest problem will be that one hour will be a bit short …

1 Like

Ah. OK. If you need help with a “dry run” let me know.

1 Like

Thank you. I think it will be just fine.

1 Like