Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

But we do not have:

Screenshot 2021-07-30 05.41.12

And that is the stirring, rousing sound of a drum, as in “stirring and fancy words”

I mean, “fancy” is fine and well understood. The Pali is richer, and that is why I listen to the Pali.

1 Like

Yes, I too was thinking like this first. But the lookup tool is sometimes wrong in how it breaks down a compound. The double “k” should make you suspicious. There is no reason to double the “k”, if it’s just citta + khara. So in such cases I start searching and playing around until I find something reasonable. Sometimes I don’t, but in this case I did.

1 Like

Citta is fancy.
Khara is fierce.

Together they would be stirring. Did I miss something?

1 Like

It is not khara. It is akkhara = word. Hence the “fancy words”.

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Got it. Thanks!

1 Like

I am adding

• as long as they live | solange sie leben

to the examples. It answers a question that has been asked here (and a few extra Suttas not related to the question). Total results: 9.

1 Like

Cool! After some thought, I’ve also added “self-effacement”

1 Like

Thank you! I am adding “Selbstüberwindung”—although the main Sutta, MN8, has not yet been translated.

1 Like

Working on examples for my latest translations, next to making corrections for German ones and adding what is already there in English, I am still adding a new one:

• term for sensual pleasures | Ausdruck für Sinnenfreuden (4 results)
1 Like

Oddly, sensual pleasures seem to refer to five senses. Thought is excluded here:

MN13:7.1: And what is the gratification of sensual pleasures?
MN13:7.2: There are these five kinds of sensual stimulation.

It’s a bit strange that thoughts are not included.

1 Like

Well, there are different systems in different contexts. Here it’s about the physical senses, of which thought is not a part.

1 Like

I have added

• being intent on awakening | Wesen, das zum Erwachen entschlossen
  • but intent on awakening | aber zum Erwachen entschlossen
  • so diminished
1 Like

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

:pray:

And I suppose one more German sutta to translate?
“so verringert”
:laughing:

1 Like

Interestingly, both of us assumed knowledge of others minds is a psychic power. But that is not listed in DN34:

DN34:1.7.85
idhāvuso, bhikkhu anekavihitaṁ iddhividhaṁ paccanubhoti—ekopi hutvā bahudhā hoti, bahudhāpi hutvā eko hoti; āvibhāvaṁ tirobhāvaṁ; tirokuṭṭaṁ tiropākāraṁ tiropabbataṁ asajjamāno gacchati seyyathāpi ākāse; pathaviyāpi ummujjanimujjaṁ karoti seyyathāpi udake; udakepi abhijjamāne gacchati seyyathāpi pathaviyaṁ; ākāsepi pallaṅkena kamati seyyathāpi pakkhī sakuṇo; imepi candimasūriye evaṁmahiddhike evaṁmahānubhāve pāṇinā parāmasati parimajjati; yāva brahmalokāpi kāyena vasaṁ vatteti.
A mendicant wields the many kinds of psychic power: multiplying themselves and becoming one again; appearing and disappearing; going unimpeded through a wall, a rampart, or a mountain as if through space; diving in and out of the earth as if it were water; walking on water as if it were earth; flying cross-legged through the sky like a bird; touching and stroking with the hand the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful; controlling the body as far as the Brahmā realm.

In fact, “knowledge of others’ minds” ONLY occurs in DN33, DN34.

So, we have a new mystery?

1 Like

No, it’s not in this list. But this list is just one item in a bigger list. That bigger list does still have things like clairvoyance, clairaudience, and understanding others’ minds, among others. Only the last three of the list are required for awakening.

See for example in DN 10 from this segment onward, with many similes:

DN10:2.20.0 3. The Spectrum of Wisdom

1 Like

But only Sariputta says this:

DN34:1.7.87
Parasattānaṁ parapuggalānaṁ cetasā ceto paricca pajānāti,
They understand the minds of other beings and individuals, having comprehended them with their own mind.

It is said twice. Once in DN33. Once in DN34.

Amazing!

It does match DN10 with its lists. But knowledge in DN10 isn’t a psychic power either. I think perhaps we have both been brainwashed by TV and movies to think that “reading others minds” is a psychic power?

1 Like

:rofl:

You may, I certainly haven’t! I neither watch TV nor movies! I hardly ever did in my life!

Hmm. I find 19 results for “understand the minds of other”.

1 Like

Hey! I FOUND IT!

SN51.11:7.1: When the four bases of psychic power have been developed and cultivated in this way, they understand the minds of other beings and individuals, having comprehended them with their own mind.

1 Like

Hmm. I think we may need to add a new example “develop the basis of psychic power”. This returns 15 suttas that explain what to develop. These bases provide a foundation for the knowledge of others minds. They may also lead further to the psychic powers.

So the Buddha distinguishes the shared practice of the basis of the psychic powers from the actual psychic powers, which are more like lottery gifts that some happen to realize. And this is how one might think that knowledge of others minds is a psychic power. It isn’t.

In other words, we all need to develop the bases of psychic powers but need not worry about chasing after the psychic powers themselves.

1 Like

They are indeed not the same thing. The bases of psychic power are actually about developing the foundations of deep meditation. I heard the opinion (I think from Bhante Sujato) that the Buddha called them “bases of psychic powers” because psychic powers were popular and people were excited about them, but actually they don’t have anything to do with psychic power. Well, except for, deep meditation is of course the basis for psychic power too. But that’s not its main purpose in the Buddha’s teaching.

I am going to add it.

1 Like