Give a bloody "like"!

Thanks for posting this @ekay. Maybe I’m just missing something obvious, but do you know where on one’s profile page it shows the trust level (article says we can find on our profile page)?

3 Likes

Hi Linda,
Nice to see you, and hope you’re doing OK. :slight_smile:
Your question made that thread turn a major detour so I’ve moved the related posts to an old thread on the topic.

Trust levels aren’t shown or shared or generally known.
Basically, the more we interact on the Forum the more hidden points the system gives us. You can also earn kudos by flagging posts and the Mods accepting the flag (but if the Mods reject flags the opposite occurs). Should we be inactive for a while (eg sick or on retreat) then our accumulated glory starts fading away.

The link ekay gave above is the best source. The whole thing is controlled by the Forum software and out of staff control. Casual users are generally Trust Levels 1 or 2 and regular users TL3, which gives access to posts in the Lounge. There are limits on Like and Posts, I don’t know if it’s a simple count or whether there’s a ratio between the two. I’ve never actually thought about it much. … Maybe you could try writing some responses as well as just liking. … The general thinking behind the set up is to encourage folks to interact.

Hope that helps a bit.

2 Likes

I cant find it anymore but there was a list somewhere of how many :heart:s we each get to give according to our trust level. And there is even a badge for being “out of love” when someone has used up all their :heart:s; a badge of honour surely!

3 Likes

alternatively, one can entirely keep the mind out of theme of ‘like’.
Weigh the mind upon Right speech instead. As long as the speech is abiding to dhamma and precepts, there is no worry on your mind.
If one enjoys to have a lot of ‘like’, i would assume he has a little trouble to deal with.
As to giving like, i don’t know if it means that much about a person’s generosity. Slow to praise, slow to blame, it is not a bad quality to have.

3 Likes

Daily likes limit resets every day at UTC 0:00, so this may not coincide with what you perceive as your ‘day’.

For example, for someone in the UTC-6 timezone it is possible to use all their daily likes by 5:59 PM local time. The timer then resets at 6:00 PM local time and they can use all the daily likes (of the new UTC day) again.

The perceived problem arises the next (local) day for them, because now they cannot like until 6:00 PM, when the daily likes reset again.

Daily likes limit is set to 50, which means that the tl2 gets 75, and tl3 gets 100 likes per day.

Click on your avatar in this topic, the first badge displayed says Member. If you click on that it will show you what trust level it corresponds to (tl2).

7 Likes

@Akaliko
Well I got a message saying I was “out of love” so it seems the more you give, the more it depletes, hmmmm, doesn’t seem very Buddhist-like to me :roll_eyes: :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks @musiko, that explains it. Well, its all fine with me, I was just curious as to how it worked with likes, trust levels, etc (except for this site I don’t do any social media so I’m quite uninformed about such things). For example, I had also wondered why on this site sometimes I seem to have access to the lounge category, other times not–so apparently trust levels go up and down–impermanence, how appropriate

1 Like

@Jacky, ah yes, but the Buddha did say one should praise what should be prasied and criticized what should be criticized (sorry, can’t remember the sutta offhand, maybe someone else has the reference). So of course I thought people should be praised for all their wonderful posts to the Buddha Beings discussion because like @Akaliko I secretly hope that discussion (along with the Dhamma Doodles one by @Yodha) will take over the site :rofl: :joy_cat:

@Gillian Thanks for your kind reply and for moving the topic!

OK, sorry, I see I should have put all these posts into one. So much to learn… :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

I started my opinion with ‘alternatively’ - it implies understanding to the practice of promoting likes.

Although I have conservation on commonly how we understand the relationship between popularity and the posts.
Commonly, we take a like/dislike as merely a response towards the speech, action just occured here and now.
But if we look at Aṅgulimāla’s story, ppl throws stones at him when he is of purest mind, action.

Response from ppl is not about what we do here and now, at least not entirely. It is about past, past lives too.

If we use ppl’s response as a guideline of how we are doing now, it will lead us astray.

I have a view that fame, status, popularity, richness, life span, are decently predetermined by our past deeds, although not entirely. It always comes easy to some and unreachable to others.

We could try to strive to get them - but alternatively, easier way, it is to completely take our mind out of those themes.

The only reliable measure to our current conduct, is dhamma, precepts.

2 Likes

Access to Lounge is tied to tl3, which is not permanent. From the Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days

• Must have visited at least 50% of days

Other trust levels are permanent, unless moderators decide to lock them for specific users for various reasons.

4 Likes