Giving & making the mind pleasant

Hi @Aminah,
I think it is worth checking this topic

There I highlighted fragment found in the Vinaya which shows the Buddha agreeing with the reasons put by Visākhā Migāramātā (aka Visākhā, Migāra’s mother) for the offering of an eightfold support to the Sangha at Sāvatthī.

In this case no need for abstraction around an ideal Sangha is needed. Just the certainty that bhikkhus will benefit from one’s generosity should be enough to get the joy-driven / joy-supported development of the awakening factors.

“But having what advantage in mind do you, Visākhā, ask the Tathāgata for eight boons?”
(…)
“If they say to me: ‘Sāvatthī was previously visited by this monk,’ I shall come to the conclusion that undoubtedly cloths for the rains or food for those coming in or food for those going out or food for the sick or food for those who tend the sick or medicines for the sick or a constant supply of conjey was enjoyed by this master.

On my calling that to mind, joy (pāmujja1) will arise in me;
from joy, rapture (pīti) will arise in me;
with a rapturous mind my body will be tranquil (passaddha);
with the body tranquil, I will experience pleasure (sukha);
because I will be feeling pleasure and ease, my mind will be still (samādhi);
by thus I will develop the five dominant factors or faculties (indriya)1
by thus I will develop the five strengths (bala)1
by thus I will develop the seven factors for Awakening (bojjhaṅga).

I, Lord, having this advantage in mind, am asking the Tathāgata for the eight boons.”

“It is very good, Visākhā, it is good that you, Visākhā, having this advantage in mind, are asking the Tathāgata for the eight boons. I allow you, Visākhā, the eight boons.”
Source: https://suttacentral.net/en/pi-tv-kd8/280-

3 Likes