Going for refuge

do you have any audio links? I’m curious to hear what that sounds like, the Gayatri mantra structure.

Well, just some recordings from Youtube such as this one:

And when listening to some other versions, it always seems to be the same tune which is used…

But be careful, this tune kind of stuck in one’s head…

(tradition added the first line (Om Bhur Bhuva Swaha), hence it has now 4 lines and 32 syllables, so not in the Gayatri meter anymore, but in the Anushtubh meter… if I understood well?- which is ironic for a mantra called Gayatri!)

2 Likes

Most of the videos found in YouTube nowadays have an accent or tone which is not necessarily the original, a bit musical, the video below gives a sample of how in reality vedic chanting is done and passed down the generations:

And this is how Suriya paritta is changed in Sri Lanka:

3 Likes

Lol…and I in yours :slight_smile:

Actually, I’d like to take the opportunity to say to you that I really admire the way you go about disagreeing with folks. And I really, really mean it with utmost sincerity when I say that lately, I’ve taken your way of approaching disagreement as something to learn from and copy. You’re a brilliant role model Aminah :pray:t5: Thank you.

Yes, I understand.

I agree.

I think when I (mentally/emotionally) take refuge in the idea of the Ariya Sangha, it is as if I’m taking refuge in the Buddha and Dhamma also. Because the Ariya Sangha have realised the Dhamma and their very way of being human is perfectly aligned with it - as was the Buddha’s.

And then there have been times when I have strong reasons to believe that I’m in the presence of someone in the Sangha who is an Ariyan. And even then, it is not their personality or their mannerisms or idiosyncracies that I’m taking refuge in. It’s in the consistency with which they represent, live and speak the Dhamma and the quality and depth they bring to this.

When I consider myself allowing a sort of faithful, emotional letting go feeling around the notion of the Sangha as an institution - well, that is never about the individuals either. It becomes much more about what the institution itself is capable of accomplishing in the real world and also what it means to me on a symbolic level.

So in either case, it’s never really about the people themselves as human beings and certainly, these days I find myself treating the Sangha respectfully, but with ease and in a relaxed sort of fashion. Just as I would any human being - well… :slight_smile: on a good day anyway! :wink: (And somehow, so far :wink: , just being around the Sangha makes it a good day!)

However, sometimes, if they’ve done something or said something that has inspired me silly, I can’t help but bow lower than normal, or place my hands in anjali and grin foolishly. Or if I’m observing them and I start thinking about what the Sangha means to me, well, again, you might find me looking like one of those folks who do a bunch of gentle nodding whilst keeping their palms together!! Sometimes it just brings me to tears, because it can just be so beautiful and inspiring.

It’s never, even in the old days when all this was new, been about individuals or specific people. It was always greater than that. It was always about the meaning and intention behind the robes, the structures and so on.

Today I went down to the Entry to Rains at Bodhinyana. There were so many people there from so many places. It was beautiful and felt like everyone was there because they wanted to support goodness. I truly don’t think anyone there would think any differently to me; I don’t think it’s ever about individuals.

Sure, you might get a little starry eyed about a particular teacher or whatever. Or form an attachment to a monastic you relate to, especially if they’ve helped you. But that is no different to how you might feel about a layperson.

And yes, you might get to know some monastics and they might become more like friends than someone on a higher plane than you. But then even in lay life we have friends.

Also, the lay community has a freakish grapevine… Some how we seem to, eventually, find out what’s going on with the monks and nuns! We know they’re flawed!! But we’re okay with that. As long as they’re doing their best and being kind as best they can be - I truly think that’s what we want; because that’s what keeps the entire Sangha going, in the end.

I’ve been offering the rice pindapat for about 25 years now, on and off over the years. It still makes me smile like an idiot, builds a glow inside me and causes my heart to sing. Sometimes it brings me to tears. I feel like I’m supporting something rare and precious. As the monks and nuns come around, and I drop some rice into their bowls, I feel like I’m part of any progress they make, I feel mudita for them and in my heart I’m thinking: “may you be well and happy”! I have heard monastics talk about gratitude towards the laity who go up and support them everyday. But today as I was placing the rice in the alms bowls, I was the one feeling gratitude. Gratitude for their presence, their practice, their renunciation; without all these things, I wouldn’t have the chance to stand in a place that reeks of peace and love and good will!!

Dear darling Aminah,

I do love the care and love you demonstrate in making such points. It is a mark of your care and love that you would go to such trouble in your writing, to craft such words, to think of them, perhaps to edit them and get them just right… The time taken for this is a mark of how much you care for harmony and goodwill and consideration and truly, I’ve not come across anyone else who has come close to the standard you’ve set. You’re my role model and I hope I will remember this often.

May I say that my reply here is also as a companion to your comments, and not in contradiction. :slight_smile: Indeed, I offer thanks and gratitude for I feel you have drawn out of me some rather pleasant reflections which have sort of tumbled onto the page as a result of the wonderful, completely honest and true comments you made.

Anumodana :anjal:

4 Likes

The regular icon just isn’t big enough.

First prize for breaking my ability to use words goes to you dear, Kay! :medal_sports: Suffice to say, I’m too overcome with a beaming, wordless happiness for your description of engaging with the Sangha and the true refuge it affords. Just so! Just so!

5 Likes

Yes, but “a picture is worth a thousand words”… :slight_smile:

So you’ve gone and broken my ability to use words too!!! I’m just smiling so broadly here (that even my chest feels like it’s expanded) and in a thoroughly foolish and happy manner.

I have to fall back to my favourite emoji: :heartpulse: :heartpulse: :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Oh…!!! :hugs:

That’s just so lovely…

2 Likes

Yup, that sounds about right!

Ma’am, it most surely is.

You know, this is really wrecking my street cred! How on earth can I maintain my identity as a stony cynic if you’re so relentless at pulling me into this love-fest‽ :grin:

Oh alright then… :heartpulse: :heartpulse: :heartpulse:

Most seriously though, bowing thanks to you for sharing all this wonderful stuff (I will have to turn it over to your ability to pull out the specifics from the wordless, as well I trust you can). :anjal:

2 Likes

Thank you for this thread and this intelligent discussion. After almost 3 years of learning meditation , this year I committed to going to retreats more often and reading the suttas. This lead me to wanting to cement my mental commitment to be on The Path by taking refuge.I feel very happy today!

14 Likes

Marvellous! Marvellous! Much happiness for your happiness!

5 Likes

Thanks! :hugs:

4 Likes

That is fabulous!
:anjal::dharmawheel::revolving_hearts::sun_with_face::rainbow::sunflower::ear_of_rice::sunflower:

5 Likes

:pray: :pray: :pray:

5 Likes