Going Out Like Fire Quenched

Thanks for this essay, Bhante.

Just to provide some extra sources, Venerable Ṭhānissaro was not the first with such ideas. Although his work is much more detailed than both of them combined, Otto Schrader (1908, On The Problem of Nirvāṇa, p167f) and Erich Frauwallner (1953, History of Indian Philosophy, p178) propose similar ideas.

Some scholars have responded critically to these ideas before:

• Soonil Hwang - Metaphor And Literalism In Buddhism (p50, p152)
  • Abraham Vélez de Cea - The Silence of the Buddha and the Questions About the Tathāgata After Death (p138)
  • Steven Collins - Nirvana and Other Buddhist Felicities (p219)

To me, the most convincing argument they make is the one that draws a parallel between the two types of extinguishment. The Buddha used the metaphor of the extinguished fire for the total, remainderless ending of greed, hatred, and delusion. It doesn’t make sense that he would use the same metaphor in what is effectively the complete opposite sense for the extinguishment at the death of an enlightened being, where it is supposed to reflect some kind of continuation of the “unbound” mind. This was also my initial reaction when I first read Mind Like Fire Unbound many years ago. In other words, we aren’t taught to “unbind” greed, hatred, and delusion, just like we aren’t taught to “unbind” all feelings/existence, which is said to be extinguished at death (e.g. in Iti44).

In Buddhism as Philosophy, Mark Siderits explains the metaphor (for extinguishment at death) in a more satisfying way. Referencing the Buddha’s question to Vacchagotta in MN72, he says:

When a fire has exhausted its fuel, we say that it’s gone. Where has it gone? The question makes no sense. For the extinguished fire to have gone somewhere, it would have to continue to exist. The question presupposes that the fire continues to exist. […]

[W]e are talking as if there is one enduring thing, the fire, that first consists of flames from kindling, then later consists of flames from logs, then still later consists of flames from new logs. This should tell us that ‘fire’ is a convenient designator for a causal series of flames (just as ‘the one light that shone all night’ was really a causal series of lamp flames). And this in turn means that no statement using the word ‘fire’ can be ultimately true (or ultimately false). […]

When we apply this analysis to the case of the arhat after death, it becomes clear why the Buddha can reject all four possibilities [he still exists, no longer exists, both, or neither] without implying that nirvana is an ineffable state. The word ‘arhat’ is a convenient designator, just like ‘fire’. So nothing we say about the arhat can be ultimately true. The only ultimately true statement about the situation will be one that describes the skandhas in the causal series. It is, for instance, true that at a certain point (which we conventionally call ‘the death of the arhat’) the nama skandhas existing at that moment do not give rise to successor nama skandhas. Does this mean that the arhat is annihilated - that nirvāṇa means the utter extinction of the enlightened person? No. There is no such thing as the arhat, so it lacks meaning to say that the arhat is annihilated. And for exactly the same reason, it lacks meaning to say that the arhat attains an ineffable state after death.

The matter of whether there is a self or not is quite aptly addressed by Sean M. Smith’s The Negation of Self in Indian Buddhist Philosophy. He doesn’t bring up the Āgamas, though, which in some instances directly say “there is no self” (MA6, MA62).

10 Likes

Dear Bhante

With this I don’t agree. When an atheist rejects the existence of God, he is already adopting a metaphysical stance, and observing modern atheists, their faith that God doesn’t exist, is sometimes stronger than faith of modern theists faith in his existence.

When mind is empty is good to keep it quiet and free from dialectic God exist / God doesn’t exist.

Ignorance screens the truth. It is on that screen that people paint pictures and write underneath their labels “god” and “not-god” and “theism” and “atheism.”

There are certain controversies which involve one in untruth, whichever side one adopts, such as the existence or non-existence of god.
The argument that God cannot have created the world because of the suffering, misery and ugliness in it (or some similar form) has always seemed to me as inconclusive for proof that there is no god as the opposite argument that ‘God must have created the world because of the order, joy and beauty in it’ (or some similar form) seemed for proof that there is a god. In either case it is presumed that one knows, can distinguish, what god ought to be.
Both alike imply that the holders of each view will only believe in what they approve of, i.e., in what pleases them.
Now, surely, is it not that assumption, that growth or surcease in one’s subjective self, that ought to be understood and faith in its subsidence cultivated?

Nanamoli Thera

But unlike the metaphysical stance on God which can be avoided by the Buddhists puthujjanas, all puthujjanas whatsoever are attavadins, so in fact they just cannot help, do take a metaphysical stance on “my self”.

Perhaps “cannot help” is not adequate phrasing, indeed with the help of the Lord Buddha one can free oneself from attavad’upadana. But for sure it cannot be done by affirming or negation of self.

When he attends unwisely in this way, one of six views arises in him.39 The view ‘self exists for me’ arises in him as true and established; or the view ‘no self exists for me’ arises in him as true and established; or the view ‘I perceive self with self’ arises in him as true and established; or the view ‘I perceive not-self with self’ arises in him as true and established; or the view ‘I perceive self with not-self’ arises in him as true and established; or else he has some such view as this: ‘It is this self of mine that speaks and feels and experiences here and there the result of good and bad actions; but this self of mine is permanent, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and it will endure as long as eternity.’

M 2

Puthujjana who directly negates self falls into the view ‘no self exists for me’ or one of these:
'I perceive not-self with self’ or ‘I perceive self with not-self’.

Abandoning of ignorance requires desidentification with all things which are taken by the puthujjana as self, and not taking a metaphysical stance on existence non-existence of self, which dialectic is synonymous with taking stance in dialectic on being not being.

“Bhikkhus, there are these two views: the view of being and the view of non-being. Any recluses or brahmins who rely on the view of being, adopt the view of being, accept the view of being, are opposed to the view of non-being. Any recluses or brahmins who rely on the view of non-being, adopt the view of non-being, accept the view of non-being, are opposed to the view of being.1707.

“Any recluses or brahmins who do not understand as they actually are the origin, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape171 in the case of these two views are affected by lust, affected by hate, affected by delusion, affected by craving, affected by clinging, without vision, given to favouring and opposing, and they delight in and enjoy proliferation. They are not freed from birth, ageing, and death; from sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair; they are not freed from suffering, I say.8.

“Any recluses or brahmins who understand as they actually are the origin, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape in the case of these two views are without lust, without hate, without delusion, without craving, without clinging, with vision, not given to favouring and opposing, and they do not delight in and enjoy proliferation. They are freed from birth, ageing, and death; from sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair; they are freed from suffering, I say. [66]

1. “Bhikkhus, there are these four kinds of clinging. What four? Clinging to sensual pleasures, clinging to views, clinging to rules and observances, and clinging to a doctrine of self.

M 11

After discussing dialectic on being non-being, Lord Buddha mentions upādāna. And only in the Dhamma attavadupadana is taught. Unfortunately as it was said abandoning it requires much more subtle approach than taking stance in dialectic being non-being by affirming or negation or self.

6 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve been toddling along with this for a while, and you helped get it in a hopefully less embarrassingly bad form.

Right, that’s really the nub of the matter.

Actually a remark by Brahmali in our discussions really helped. He noted that while nibbana used by itself means extinguishment, in context it often implies the extinguishment of suffering. A seemingly obvious point, but it really clarifies contexts like “nibbana here and now”, or how eternalists can adopt the term.

Hang on, what? Charles’ translation of MA 6 says:

A monk’s practice ought to be thus: ‘I have no self, and nothing is mine. In the future, there’ll be no self, and nothing will be mine.’

Which is parallel to the Pali:

no cassa no ca me siyā, na bhavissati na me bhavissati

Dunno, maybe a translation issue in the Chinese?

As for MA 62 (Bingenheimer/Bucknell/Analayo):

However, there is no self; there is nothing that belongs to a self; [all this] is empty of a self and empty of anything that belongs to a self.

It’s close to things like suññamidaṁ attena vā attaniyena vā.

Interesting anyway. Not sure to what extent these can be chalked up to translation or redaction issues. MA 62 seems like a somewhat lateish text, as it expands on the Mahakkhandhaka narrative and has no parallels. Still, you’re right, as they stand these seem to straightforwardly assert that there is no self.

It’s a good warning to not hinge important points on brittle arguments from absence.

Well, what do you mean by “metaphysical”? Without a clear understanding we end up just talking past each other. Which is why, unlike Thanissaro, I explained what I meant by the term.

Whether a statement is metaphysical has nothing to do with the degree of confidence that one has in it. I’m extremely confident that today is Friday. I’m also extremely confident that neither God nor a Self exist.

I am not relying on a book, but on talks he gave in Thai. But it was a long time ago and I couldn’t find the details now, so feel free to ignore it if you like!

1 Like

So this is where you’ve been? I assumed you were in retreat, hopefully it was some of both :grin:. Interesting essay of challenging authority :+1:, I also felt a little off when I read some of what he said about not-self, but I couldn’t refute it.

I believe you are rejecting Bhante Sujato’s claim “rejecting God/Self is not a metaphysical stance”.

I don’t think this is greatly important to his main argument, and it’s a tangent. Whether it counts as a metaphysical statement or not is undermined by the fact that it’s still a rejection of the metaphysical.

Anyway, I don’t think you’ve disproved it either, because no matter how much you reject something his logic would still apply that it’s not a metaphysical claim. I also believed that rejecting God is inherently a metaphysical claim, but now I just don’t know nor care because it feels like semantics. (I just saw he kinda said this already after I made this post)

The context of that claim

Whether it’s technically a metaphysical statement or not isn’t what the main argument entirely relies on, it was just one way of showing how Ven Thanissaro’s reasoning was malformed, and so it could have been wrong in other ways.

Hello Venerable!

You seem to be adopting the definition of metaphysical in a way that contrasts with instrumentalism from an epistemological standpoint. This seems a good working definition to my mind.

Agreed. Given the above definition it is clear that this is not a metaphysical stance. The Teacher is reporting the results of an empirical search that anyone can carry out and verify to my mind. In analyzing all things the Teacher reports that he has not found a self. Importantly, to verify one must actually analyze all things or in some other way directly know that all things are not self.

Merely searching for a self in some things in a non-exhaustive way and then declaring that one knows that no self exists would be a metaphysical stance according to the above definition. Why? Because one has not directly known through direct sense experience the truth of the statement. Rather, one has taken inconclusive evidence, extrapolated it, and represented it as conclusive evidence based on an unstable foundation.

No, there is no true distinction between “all things are not self” and “there is no self” if one understands that the Teacher is representing direct and exhaustive knowledge.

To be clear, I don’t think those statements refute the mundane existence of a self that is merely labeled in dependence upon a valid basis just like a chariot is merely labeled upon a valid basis. Chariots exist and so does a self, but only in a mundane fashion when not subject to analysis. The chariot can’t be found in an exhaustive and penetrative analysis of its parts; the same is true for any self, being, person or individual. The parts themselves, also being made of parts, similarly cannot be found.

Ah, but there is a big difference between the Teacher declaring that he has directly known and verified that all things are not self in an exhaustive fashion and the unverified statement “unicorns don’t exist” to represent a non-exhaustive search isn’t there?

I take the Teacher’s statement to mean something more powerful than, “no-one has ever seen any evidence for the existence of a self.” It seems to my mind the Teacher is declaring a directly known fact and not inference from extrapolation based on a non-exhaustive search.

In fact, this provides a practical reason why the Teacher might have refrained from saying, “there is no self.” He wanted others to search for themselves and verify the situation rather than appropriating hard earned knowledge as their own and misrepresenting that they actually have known such knowledge before they have verified for themselves.

:pray:

1 Like

Ha ha, mostly having some alone time, yes. Also down with COVID. But yeah, just dabbling on this little essay for a while too.

How? The meaning of the cited verse is clear. It’s talking about someone who has attained the dimension of nothingness, and has been reborn in that state, and asking whether they will be freed in that dimension. This is, indeed, the same situation as envisaged in the last line of the sutta you quote, to wit:

It’s a great poem, but I’m not sure how it is relevant here?

I think so yes. If I understand you correctly, instrumentalism is the idea that knowledge serves a purpose? So knowledge isn’t evaluated by its theoretical perfection, but by its success in achieving its function? If so them yes, I think that’s a pretty good description of the Dhamma.

We can never know “all things” directly (unless we limit it to the “all” of what we experience). But this is where inference comes into play.

Ha ha, right!

Direct knowledge and inference both play a part. For example, past and future can only ever be known from inference.

But this is where the instrumental aspect comes into play. Dhamma knowledge is really true, not because it satisfies some abstract requirement, but because we let go and do not suffer.

3 Likes

Hi Bhante :pray:,

I agree that from the term nibbāna alone we can’t conclude that the Buddha taught cessation or “mere extinguishment”. But, as I briefly mentioned in our earlier discussion, this argument re. eternalism I think goes a bit too far the other way.

You wrote:

I don’t think the “nibbāna in the present life” views are eternalist doctrines. The way they are described, as well as their name, implies they concern pleasure in the present life only. As you say, they mention a ‘self’ and ‘truly exiting being’ but doesn’t make them eternalist, for annihilationists also used these terms. In fact, one of the core ideas behind hedonism is usually that they aren’t concerned with the future. In MN102 the “nibbāna in the present life” views are indeed said to come “letting go of theories about the past and the future”. Bodhi also notes there:

Skilling points out that in the Tibetan Pan̄catraya, assertions of Nirvāṇa here and now are not comprised under views about the future but constitute a separate category. The Brahmajāla Sutta places assertions of supreme Nibbāna here and now among views about the future, but the arrangement in the Tibetan counterpart seems to be more logical.

The Magandiya Sutta also talks about being healthy “now” (etarahi). Unless a dullard, Magandiya must have been well aware that his health couldn’t last. I see no indication that he was an eternalist.

So in both cases nibbāna indeed has a sense of release/bliss, as you point out, but not of eternalism. It seems nibbāna also implies a cessation here, namely the cessation of limited suffering.

The Jains do use the term nibbāna in later texts but not in the Pāli canon, which is interesting because we do find many other core Jain terminology there. So their usage may well have been inspired by the success of the Buddha’s metaphor, not because they used the term originally for their eternalist beliefs.

I agree with that. For MA6 I was going by the BDK translation: “There is no self, nor is there anything belonging to a self” I don’t know Chinese but it seems it must at least be ambiguous. Anyway, I don’t want to make much out of it.

What’s your take on attā hi attano natthi in Dhp62? Literally “there is no self of/for themselves” or “they themselves don’t have a self”. To me, this just says there is no self, because, in the Buddha’s view at least, who else would have a self but the person themselves? It’s close enough to attā natthi to make no meaningful difference, I’d say. This topic of whether there is a self is a bit worn out to me, but I haven’t really seen this line discussed before.

3 Likes

It feels like more of a rhetorical swing than a philosophical statement: “for even your self is not your own!”

I’ll change the wording, thanks.

4 Likes

Yes! Translating it literally like this really seems to capture the flavor of it.

1 Like

Well, Buddhism, starting right away with DN 1 Brahmajala, has always centered rational critique. I have done my best to document the facts and have presented them above as fairly as I can. This is not just opposing one opinion with another, it is fact-checking. Personally, if I have come to rely on a source, and if someone takes the considerable time and effort to evaluate the reliability of that source, I am grateful.

Thanks, you’ve explained your views at some length, but this is not the place for them, so please do not continue to hijack the thread. It is the place for discussing my essay on Thanissaro’s work.

Them’s fighting words, man! Don’t try telling that to a Hindutva loon.
:smile:

7 Likes

Ha ha, don’t worry, I would certainly not!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spin-Off from Bhante Sujato’s Essay: Self, no self, not-self…

It would be great if you started a new thread about this. Your issue has nothing specifically to do with the article, so they don’t really be long in this thread.

Please start a new thread and formulate your issue there.

Hi,

Here’s what @sujato refers to when he talks about self/not-self …

So, Thanissaro has reduced self to “mind” …

@Sunyo provided a useful reference to assist understanding … The Negation of Self in Indian Buddhist Philosophy

I propose a third alternative: this premise is provided explicitly in another discourse from the same collection called the Samanupassana Sutta (SN III, 46). It occurs just a few pages previous to the Anattālakkhaṇa Sutta, both discourses being part of the Khandha-Saṃyutta.
The relevant passage is the sutta’s opening line which says the following: “Bhikkhus, indeed whatever recluses or brahmans (who) regard the self in different ways, in so regarding, they all regard the five aggregates subject to clinging or a certain one of these” (see Bodhi 2017, 33).20 This passage is attempting an exhaustiveness claim; any recluse who has any view of the self will actually be mistaking the self for one or more of the aggregates.

I think it’s pretty straight forward, what @sujato said.

2 Likes

Unconditioned consciousness is perishable?. Please, develop this idea.

I have collected several posts not directly pertaining to the essay and only somewhat related to it, and created a new spinoff thread. Feel free to create your own newer thread if you want to explore those issues.

Please keep this thread exclusively for discussing this essay, which is about deconstructing Venerable Thanissaro’s arguments in their book Mind Like Fire Unbound, by Bhante Sujato. Please refrain from posting thoughts and musings outside the scope of this essay or only tangentially related. If you get an idea worth exploring based on this essay, start a new thread. That is kind of the other purpose of such essays.
With Metta,

7 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Spin-Off from Bhante Sujato’s Essay: Self, no self, not-self…

Thanks again for a great essay! It goes to show, once again, how careful one has to be in evaluating seemingly persuasive work. On one issue, however, I think you could have been even stronger.

Well, yes, but I think this gives too much credibility to Ven Thanissaro thesis. As it stands, it suggests it is reasonable to think that the Buddha would have “invoked obscure Vedic details when speaking with Vedic experts”. But is it really reasonable? There are a number of reasons to suggest that it is not.

(1) The metaphysical idea that fire somehow exists after it has been put out does indeed seem obscure. It is not mentioned at all, for instance, in the long Wikipedia article on Vedism. Moreover, the brahmins are known to have kept their teachings secret. Combine the rarity of the idea with the secrecy of the brahmins and you get the chance of a non-brahmin knowing about it. It seems to me that the chance must be very low.

(2) As you point out, we know from the suttas that fire is spoken of in a naturalistic way, for instance, at MN28: “So for all its great age, the fire element will be revealed as impermanent, liable to end, vanish, and perish.” From this we can deduce that ordinary people spoke about fire in a regular way, not with a hidden Vedic meaning. Because the Buddha is a non-brahmin, the brahmins would expect him to speak about fire in a regular way.

(3) In fact point (2) is not strong enough. Whereas the population at large was presumably immersed in the Vedic culture, the Buddha is part of the samaṇa movement that was directly opposed to the brahminical orthodoxy. It is to be expected that such a person does not tacitly use brahminical ideas in any context, but perhaps especially not when speaking with brahmins. And crucially, that is what the brahmins would have expected too.

A straightforward explanation is always to be preferred over a hidden a meaning, unless you have an especially strong argument to the contrary. Instead, Ven. Thanissaro’s evidence is weak. In the present case, the Buddha would have to state explicitly that he was using a Vedic idea to make Thanissaro’s argument persuasive. As a matter of fact, all the evidence points in the opposite direction. In my view, this is enough to reject his thesis.

3 Likes

Obscure, or not, it is quite obvious that Lord Buddha uses metaphor of fire to denote the states of greed, hate and delusion, and extinction of fire simply points out to the state of total absence of greed, hate and delusion.

If one insists on validity of such “obscure” or "confusing " concept, he says that such states nevertheless… In fact it is hard to say what he wants to say, but even if he doesn’t want to say it, he unwillingly admits lack of understanding of dependently arisen nature of fire.

“If someone were to ask you, Vaccha: ‘When that fire before you was extinguished, to which direction did it go: to the east, the west, the north, or the south?’—being asked thus, what would you answer?”“That does not apply, Master Gotama. The fire burned in dependence on its fuel of grass and sticks. When that is used up, if it does not get any more fuel, being without fuel, it is reckoned as extinguished.” MN 73

Such concepts as Eternal Heart, or Original Mind, are just verbal expressions, and very likely most of people who use them simply don’t know what they are talking about.

Perhaps some monks by these terms describe their direct experience. After all these concepts have no any meaning apart one prescribed to them. So it would be good to inquire what is the meaning of these terms in Sutta’s vocabulary. After all notion of eternity isn’t incompatible with nibbana, but again one has to be careful to provide exact definition of such eternity:

Nanamoli Thera: What is eternal (nicca)? Only non-arising, non-passing-away, non-changing of what is present.

But most certainly simile of fire cannot be used to justify them.