"Good Reasons for Bad Feelings"

Here is a piece on Catholic Guilt that as a psychiatrist you might like. When “Catholic guilt” gets in the way of Catholic faith

Personally, although having a very typical Catholic upbringing, I have never experienced these problems. But I have always had a much more direct and personal relationship with God than many of my peers - prayer and meditation have been my bedrock since 7 years old. God’s presence is never far away and I never see the judgemental aspect of God that some of my peers see. I only see the abiding universal love aspect.

I clearly can’t speak for all Christians, but my own view (and I believe this is also the mainstream view) is that there is nothing that we can do to save ourselves and hence ‘guilt’ (as discussed here) serves no purpose. We are saved by God’s grace alone. There is no work to be done for salvation (freedom from the power, guilt and penalty of sin) as this has already been done by God. He has done, and continues to do, what a good father needs to do to look after his children. As such we say in recognition and hope, “I have been saved; I am being saved; and I will be saved.” The wish to be good and the good works that ensue from the Christian is a direct response to God’s grace. A sort of: “Thank you for my liberation God, now what can I do for you?”