Gratitude Day : May All be Happy

Here in the US, it is a holiday called “Thanksgiving,” which for many Americans is a day to travel to visit relatives, eat enormous amounts of food, and watch football. I don’t spend the day this way, but like many try to use it as a day of mindfulness and gratitude.

Mindful that, as my son pointed out on Facebook today, that the myth of the Native Americans and the early European settlers in this country sitting down to eat together is largely fabrication. For the most part, the First Nations tribes in the US were being slaughtered, or displaced from their homelands and warehoused on reservations.

Today for many is a day to pause to be grateful. So, to all D&D’ers, I wish all of you a good Gratitude Day, and I am thankful to Sutta Central, and all of us here on D&D.

Sabbe sattā sukhi hontu.

22 Likes

I am thankful to the Sangha for guarding the Dhamma throughout millennia, and for having limitless kindness, compassion, & dedication in expounding the Dhamma to us laypeople.

I am also thankful to Bhante @sujato for his upcoming free & open source translation of the Sutta Pitaka.

The gift of Dhamma truly excels all other gifts.

With metta.

18 Likes

Assailed by afflictions, we discover Dharma
And find the way to liberation. Thank you, evil forces!

When sorrows invade the mind, we discover Dharma
And find lasting happiness. Thank you, sorrows!

Through harm caused by spirits we discover Dharma
And find fearlessness. Thank you, ghosts and demons!

Through people’s hate we discover Dharma
And find benefits and happiness. Thank you, those who hate us!

Through cruel adversity, we discover Dharma
And find the unchanging way. Thank you, adversity!

Through being impelled to by others, we discover Dharma
And find the essential meaning. Thank you, all who drive us on!

We dedicate our merit to you all, to repay your kindness.

(Gyalwa Longchenpa)
10881710_10152454269006426_7776330753185735761_n

9 Likes