Greed and karma?

Hi all,

I know most people will recommend me to become a vegetarian or vegan but the question is:

Which one is more unwholesome, greed over meat that comes from farmed factory animal (generally more suffering) or greed over meat that comes from animal that lives in the wild (less suffering)? Thank you.

3 Likes

Look in your own heart. You seem to have alluded to how you feel in your question.

This might also give you some insight into exactly what you’re eating. This might help you modify your habits.

I hope that helps,
From someone who sometimes eats animals

4 Likes

What would “greed over meat” mean? Like craving a certain kind of meat?

Greed for meat.

I guess I am still not understanding. Greed for meat meaning wanting meat? Desiring to eat it? To own it? To buy it? Obsessing over the idea of it?

Which units of measurement do you want to use?

Most people I know when they crave for meat they want to eat it rather than own it.

The level of suffering the animal undergoes seems important:

If anyone slaughters a living being for sake of the Tathagata or any of his disciples, he thereby creates much demerit in these five instances: When he says: Go and fetch that living sentient being this is the first instance in which he lays up much demerit. When that living being experiences pain and fear on being led along by the neck, this is the second instance in which he lays up much demerit.

When he says: Go and slaughter that living sentient being this is the third instance in which he accumulates much demerit. When that living being experiences pain and panic on being killed, this is the fourth instance in which he lays up much demerit. When he provides the Tathagata or his disciples with such food that is not permitted, which is unsuitable & unacceptable, this is the fifth instance in which he collects much demerit. MN55.

The issue of kamma is complex as the degree of mental development of the person doing it, whether it is done rarely or habitually, etc pay a part.

with metta