Happy independence day!

Not sure how you hide things… so avert your eyes if it’s not ‘at the right time’

5 Likes

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vettä, rantaa rakkaampaa
kuin kotimaa tää pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien.

:grinning:

How asbolutely wonderful. Can I come? :cry:

4 Likes

1 yksi
2 kaksi
3 kolme
4 neljä
5 viisi
6 kuusi
7 seitsemän

Many years ago when my parents went to spend their holidays in Finland my father purchased himself a book and started studying some Finnish. And I, for the fun of it, memorised the numbers 1 - 7. For some reason, I never forgot them since!

However I have to admit that my acquisition of the Finnish language never progressed any further than that! :disappointed:

Your korvapuusti look absolutely delicious! It’s a shame that Australia is so far away!! :airplane:

Please give my warm regards and many birthday greetings to Ven. Mudito (he might remember me as Maria from last year’s Vassa in Bodhinyana)! :birthday:

3 Likes

This is so brilliant! :giggling:
Thank you.

Now, just in case any Swedish speaking Finns (Swedish is an official language of Finland) stumble across this thread, just in case they feel left out, may I add:

1 ett
2 två
3 tre
4 fyra
5 fem
6 sex
7 sju

Relative to the other 7.9b people in the world I consider you an advanced learner! Although, I’m bias, because I only got a little bit further than you.

Anyway, we may as well make it all the way to ten (in Finnish)!

8 kahdeksan
9 yhdeksän
10 kymmenen

Once we’ve got to ten we only need a toaster to make it all the way to 19! :bread:

Oh alight, it’s actually a ‘-toista’:

11 - yksitoista

19 - yhdeksäntoista

Then we’ve got everything we need to make it all the way to 99 (20 = two+ten, 21 = two+ten+one etc. 30 = three+ten etc. etc.)

Now, the reason why I wanted to speed you along all the way to 100, is because the Finnish word for 100 is actually the same as the Pali word for 100! :astonished:

sata (fi)
sata (pi)

All good roads ultimately lead to the Dhamma. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:joy::rofl:

This is great! So I got already the first seven steps to the Dhamma right quite early in my life… :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Seven is all you need to become fully liberated. :smile:

1 Like

There is a dhamma counting method as well!:

What is one?
All beings subsist on food.
What is two?
Name & form.
What is three?
The three types of feeling.
What is four?
The four noble truths.
What is five?
The five clinging-aggregates.
What is six?
The six internal sense media.
What is seven?
The seven factors for Awakening.
What is eight?
The noble eightfold path.
What is nine?
The nine abodes for beings.
What is ten?
Endowed with ten qualities, one is called an arahant.

https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/bp_quest.htm

With metta

2 Likes

Loistavaa!

1 Like

Tack så mycket!

With metta

2 Likes

Hasta la vista? :yum:

Just to celebrate the more substantive good that can come from the frivolous and fluffy…

Thanks so much for mentioning him; a task led me to YouTube and YouTube had its recommendations to make. I roughly speaking tune my eyes out of all that junk, but today I caught sight of Bhante Mudito’s name and I thought, “I know that name, I’ll give him a go!”

I really enjoyed it, a very welcome lift to the spirits.

Feel free to forward on my gratitude if it pleases you.

3 Likes

Bhante Mudito has headed back to bodhinyana now.
However, while you’re on the BSV YouTube check out his off-sider Venerable Dr. Buddharakkhita (Irish not Ugandan) who is on the interchange bench and arrives here tomorrow. He gave some wonderful talks/guided meditations during vassa at the BSV. I wish I could share talks from the other monks here but afaik they’re not internet famous yet.

4 Likes