Happy Vesak Day!

Today is Vesak, the full moon day where we celebrate the Buddha’s birth, awakening, and parinibbana. Wish everyone a peaceful day!

26 Likes

Happy Vesak from Thailand!

20 Likes

Happy Vesak, from UK :uk:!!

20 Likes

Here in the United States many Wats, including the one I attend, are celebrating Visakha Puja Day on Sunday, 19 May instead of the 18th to accommodate the work week. I have to attend graduation ceremonies at the university where I teach on Sunday so I am double-booked that day. I can attend services at my Wat but then have to skip out before lunch to get to campus for commencement. Busy day!

10 Likes

I’ve changed the rice in my incense burners and cleaned them, and will do the washing-the-statues-with-tea thing later today if it stops raining. The bunch I’m affiliated with thinks this day falls in December for some reason, but I think I’ll stick with the earlier tradition. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say, “No, you may not change this.” :grin:

8 Likes

Happy Vesak from Australia

14 Likes

Happy Vesak!

:anjal:

9 Likes

Happy Vesak from Northern California, Sonoma County

with rice pindapot and meal blessing inside due to rain

14 Likes

Vesak, in Sri Lanka :sri_lanka:

10 Likes

Happy Vesak from Delhi, India :india:

11 Likes

Hrrmm, I haven’t been aware of that date for the Vesakh. But accidentally I’ve been with a very old friend, on the balcony, and under that amazing, amazing full moon between the trees we had such a nice talk, worth of one of the best days of the year… So I’m happy of that coincidence. (of course, there’s no screenshot :))

I like much the sutra of the “Gosiṅga park” MN 32 and in this sutta an equally nice and calm and swift evening was described and how it has pushed the venerables towards a very sweet competition … :slight_smile:

From the Horner’s translation:

On this point we are now asking the venerable Moggallāna the Great: Delightful, reverend Moggallāna, is the Gosiṅga sāl-wood, it is a clear moonlight night, the sāl-trees are in full blossom, methinks deva-like scents are being wafted around. By what type of monk, reverend Moggallāna, would the Gosiṅga sāl-wood be illumined?”

“In this connection, reverend Sāriputta, two monks are talking on Further Dhamma; they ask one another questions; in answering one another’s questions they respond and do not fail, and their talk on Dhamma goes forward. By a monk of such a type, reverend Sāriputta, would the Gosiṅga sāl-wood be illumined.”

“It is good, Sāriputta, it is good. It is so that Moggallāna, in answering you properly, should answer. For, Sāriputta, Moggallāna is a talker on Dhamma.”

Must I say, I liked the Maha Mogallana’s answer the most … :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Vesak Day in Oregon (USA):

12 Likes

Happy Vesakha… :grin:

7 Likes

Happy Vesak to everyone everywhere! May your practice be fruitful and auspicious. :pray::pray::pray:

8 Likes