Hearing voices! :0)

Hi friend @ERose. I don’t know about neuroscience, but, obviously there are many cases of persons experiencing nonverbal thought, only they represent an extreme minority, so I did not mean to be so literal when I said “always”. Also a human who does not experience verbal thought at all is known to have serious limitations in imagination and abstraction. In other words, verbal thought and communication is necessary to grasp Dhamma for example; being thus at once the devil and the saviour!

The freaky thing about the divine eye is you can see a projection of the future. I say projection, because the future is uncertain and subject to change. For example, if you hang around serious meditators with divine eye, you’ll notice sometimes they get their timelines mixed up, they’ll ask about something that hasn’t happened yet. One example, meditator X asks a lay person a specific question about meditator Y, such as “how is meditator Y doing? did he finish the project he was working on?” The lay person is confused, because the lay person hasn’t met meditator Y yet (not for another few days), but after he does meet him, that very specific project is brought up by meditator Y, which was relevant to layperson, in other words something very specific only a mind reader would ask about, who got their timeline a little slightly confused.

The standard power of divine eye, what most people don’t realize, is it’s not linear time as we normally experience it, When the Buddha talks about directly seeing kamma and what results and rebirth it leads to, he’s not talking about waiting till person dies and then watching to see where the rebirth takes place. They can see the end result before it happens. Of course the future is not fixed, so people can change their destiny. This is why sometimes you’ll see a powerful meditator monk strongly urging a lay person to attend an intensive meditation retreat (I mean, really putting a lot of effort convincing, you wonder why they’re so urgently being persuasive), or doing something virtuous. It’s because they’ve seen what the karmic result and rebirth (with the divine eye) is going to be if the lay person doens’t change their destiny soon.

7 Likes

This would mean there is more than one possible timeline of unfolding events. Somehow, a ‘seer’ can follow the unfolding of one possible stream of ‘cause and effect’ as it plays out in real time physical happenings and then generate a vision of a not yet ‘happening’. That would be a pin-point (prediction) not an actual seeing but, a visual conjuring of something that hasn’t happened yet. If a cause and effect sequence is changed in time there is a different outcome. This is stranger than actually ‘seeing’ the future - which is strange enough. One thing I can say is what was seen in the vision was not identical to the experience. The vision was a mental representation of the experience - in exact detail - that contained all the essential elements that places it beyond coincidence. :slight_smile:

1 Like