Help! Does anyone have a copy of Skilling's Mahasutras?

I’m trying to sort out our Tibetan texts, and I’m having trouble understanding some the data regarding Mahasutras. I’m hoping someone has access to a copy and can look some things up for me.

2 Likes

Have you tried Ven. Tsedroen?
Or maybe Ayya @akincana has a copy of this book.

It’s 133 GBP at the PTS. Ayya Kathrin @vimalanyani could possibly get it and help you look things up. Then the book could go back to Samita when she moves to the US.

Sure no problem. Let me know…

Thanks venerables, but it shouldn’t be necessary. There’s a copy at Bodhinyana. @Brahmali, can you help me out here?

1 Like

Sure, I am to help. Please let me know what you need, and will either do it myself or find someone competent to do it.

3 Likes

Great, thanks so much. I’m revising the way we’re handling Tibetan texts, one part of which is the Mahasutras. We need the “Derge” (or “Dege”) sutra number. In all other cases, I’ve been able to infer this from our data, but one sutra is eluding me.

We have neither title nor canonical reference, only that it’s page 284–289 in the first volume of the Mahasutras, and is apparently a partial parallel of AN 8.34.

So we need someone to look up the page and find the Derge number there. Any other info, title, etc., would be useful too.

3 Likes

Hokay, here we go.

Unfortunately we don’t have Volume I of the Mahāsūtras at Bodhinyana. We do have Volume II, however, and I believe I have found what you are after there. The sutta is discussed by Skilling on pp. 401-440. The title in Tibetan is mDo chen po rgyal mtshan mchog ces bya ba, which is reconstructed in Sanskrit as Dhvajāgra-nāma-mahāsūtra. According to Skilling it is of Mūlasarvāstivādin provenance. There is a full parallel in Chinese: TI 99, no. 980; Vol.2, 254c2-255a24. Only the verses have a parallel in Pali, found in the Khetta-sutta at AN 8.34. Apart from this there are no known parallels.

Here is an exact replica of the Derge reference as found in Skilling:

D292 mdo sde śa 262a1-265b4 [Vol. 71 = mdo 27, no.6]

Mdo is apparently Tibetan for sūtra, and TI is Skillings’s abbreviation of Taisho. I don’t know what some of this refers to, but I am guessing you probably will. In fact Skilling’s work is missing a glossary of Tibetan terms, which would make it much easier to understand what all this refers to.

2 Likes

Most excellent, venerable sir, this solves the problem completely. :pray:

1 Like