Helping the George Floyd cause with advice on restraint

Just linking to a recent post of mine on another thread which I think is useful at present, especially given you mentioned equanimity.

I wrote:

It’s a great tragedy that many Buddhists believe that we should not engage in criticism of things worthy of criticism. This has led to many misunderstandings of what is skillful and has pitched Buddhists as individuals who are somehow estranged from the society we live in because of our religion. However, the Buddha allowed for skillful criticism. and often spoke out about governance, social ills, workers rights and so on. Take the Potaliya Sutta AN 4.100 where the Buddha corrects Potaliya’s wrong idea that equanimity is better than praise or criticism:

Potaliya: “Master Gotama, of these four people, it is the person who neither praises those deserving of praise at the right time, truthfully and substantively; nor criticizes those deserving of criticism at the right time, truthfully and substantively. That is the person I believe to be the finest. Why is that? Because, Master Gotama, equanimity is the best.”

The Buddha: "Potaliya, of these four people, it is the person who criticizes those deserving of criticism at the right time, truthfully and substantively; and praises those deserving of praise at the right time, truthfully and substantively. That is the person I consider to be the finest. Why is that? Because, Potaliya, understanding of time and context is the best.”

The idea that Buddhists should be neutral, uncaring and unflinching beings, who just look on in exaggerated detachment is not only incorrect, but dangerous. Rather than tuning out we need to tune in to that discomfort in ourselves that wants to hide when others suffer. We need to understand that inaction is also an action and that intentionally doing nothing whilst others suffer is also kamma, so, much better to act with wisdom and compassion.

24 Likes