Homelessness

The inclusion of trees in your meditation may be essential in cultivating calmness, as evidenced by the countless mentions of trees and their importance in regards to achieving the stages of enlightenment throughout the early buddhist texts. So, you are on the right track as far as the placement of your platform beneath a tree!

Here is an interesting article on the subtle energies of trees and their impact on our physiological and psychological well being: http://thespiritualjunkie.com/the-power-of-trees/

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

There is abundant support, but no abundance of people who truly value physical seclusion.

Also, The term hermitage could mean many things.
What I mean is a place where there are only a handful of monks, with just a handful of kutis (dwellings), no dhamma hall, or shrine room, no facilities for guests etc
It’s possible but there has to be monastic’s interested in living like that and supporters who will not pressure the monastic’s into performing services of one kind or another.

Usually one will not get a lot of support if you do not provide some sort of service i.e meditation classes, pujas, community work days, retreats, festival programs, chaplaincy, evening talks etc why would you get supported for just staying alone in a secluded hut? And so usually the monastic’s will give in to that pressure and then they get support and all the duties expected along with it.

There is a sutta AN6.28, where there is a discussion about what is the best occasion to visit a respected renunciant and there is pretty much no good time except if one has an actually problem connected with the practice that needs solving.
If a renunciate had to only allow people into the hermitage who needed help with a specific dhamma point or other people who bring food, then it most likely won’t be such a popular venue for social activities.

To live secluded as a monastic one really has to set up boundaries, which will most likely turn many people away, and so support might be hard to come by, which means hermitage development will be simplified.
The trick is to just do it, and if support is absolutely not possible then one just moves on until that specific type of seclusion factor without compromise is supported, and as far as I can tell, support will manifest because enough people will see that you are actually serious about what you are doing.

4 Likes

Hahaha I guess you’d not be surprised then that I run a one man garden and lawn care business and spend most of my days amongst trees big and small. It sounds funny when I write it out but I run my hands over tree trunks and through there leaves especially when I ‘meet’ a new one. I also feel a deeper connection with them and talk and thank them while I working with or on them… but don’t tell anyone :joy:.

3 Likes

Although there are multiple aspects of “homelessness” already given, and I think I’ve some not- completely-wrong emotion on the Buddha’s proposal of homelessness with a positive notion (to be explained later or elsewhere), I’ll share here one expression of “homelessness” which touches me to the depth. It’s sung by the black south-african barbershop-combo “ladysmith black mambazo”, still in the days of apartheid - I’ll post one link here just to make sure, the possible suffering from (unwanted) “homelessness” gets not forgotten…

See video at youtube,ladysmith black mambazo

The song was in fact composed by Paul Simon in/for cooperation after he had met and worked musically with that remarkable combo. I think I've heard it in full english words, but this version is except the refrain of south-african (zulu?) tongue. But for me something understandable arrives...

Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me!

1 Like

A fun phrase I recently learned is “Is the the hill you want to die on?” I like to adapt it to Buddhism as, “Is this the hill you want to be reborn on?” If it is, it’s one of your homes.

A home, mundanely speaking, is a place containing a collection of things and/or people that one declares “I, me, mine”, but those things or people can also be “homes.” One’s conception of one’s self or one’s work, socio-economic status, etc., can also be a home. So can one’s body and the other aggregates. Related emotions are pride, shame, embarrassment, covetousness, or safeguarding, to name a few—where one feels them, there is a home.

So, in this light, “going from home into homelessness” has a deeper meaning than physical location. Another neat saying is “Home is where the heart is”. We might replace “heart” with “citta” or “consciousness” for our purposes. Where ever your citta comes to rest, there is your home, your base, your support. Thus we can understand what is meant by the “unsupported consciousness of the arahant”. Supermundane homelessness.

But mundane homelessness helps to get there.

4 Likes

Yes, true. A group of Kalyanam’s got together and the topic was rebirth and the super knowledge that allows one to see it is pubbenivanussati nana. Literally ‘knowing my previous houses :house_with_garden:’. All homes never last. In this journey we are all homeless through the cycle of births and deaths :pray:.

4 Likes