"Horrified, repelled, and disgusted by this rotten body..."

Yes, and this was also a “lion’s roar” in response to a false accusation, so not only was there the potential for the other monk to die on the spot, but his declaration was meant to define his accomplishment. So, it is understandable that it would be very potent.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s helpful to think that we can utilize those words & analogy to express just how much we disagrees with a proposition.

For example if someone propose that you cut off your nose & ears voluntarily for fun sake.

You might say that this proposition is entirely disgusting to you and you are repelled by it. And you might use the snake analogy to show how it is utterly disagreeable to you. You might be offended by the proposition because you dislike pain but you are not actually experiencing disgust & horrification that you would feel if you had to do it.

Sariputta is such that he would consider it a disgusting propositon because he doesn’t approve of any constructed existence let alone doing stupid things but he would not be offended by the proposition nor horrified if he was forced to do it.

Hi Gert,

This is just my take on this. No claim it is “correct” or the way someone more knowledgeable than me would understand it.

The range of listeners in the Suttas is wide. And the Suttas are therefore full of different metaphors. Sometimes a given metaphor for a given person at a given time in their life just really clicks.

I admit I don’t personally use the image of the dead snake around the neck - that has not yet clicked for me. But, FWIW, I find the idea that the body is repulsive sometimes liberating, sometimes neutral, sometimes humorous. When we think through what makes up our body there is mucous and urine and bile and faeces and sweat glands… It is kinda messy. :rofl: The thought of the body as repulsive takes me toward body neutrality, not body negativity. Probably because for me it corrects for overvaluing looks on some level. If someone started from a place of body negativity, I would expect this whole line of thought would be quite counterproductive, even harmful.

However one responds to this sutta, or calling the body repulsive, ultimately all these words and stories and metaphors are pointers to something helpful. If a pointer gets you to that helpful thing, great. But if it doesn’t, I think it is most helpful to move on and find a passage or metaphor that works better for you. In my experience, when I spend too long trying to figure out Suttas or metaphors or srguments I experience as wrong, it increases doubts, which impacts my practice.

Anyway, a rambling two cents. If anything in there seems helpful, great. :slightly_smiling_face:

:pray:

2 Likes