How do you overcome boredom?

After a 3 month solitary retreat in the Himalayas, within the first 2 weeks I came recognise the mara demon of boredom as the craving of a mind addicted to distracting itself from reality. That then became the object of the retreat practice to overcome. So practice seeing boredom for what it is each time it arises, then sit and stare it in the face, and it’s power will diminish like calling out a bully and it will run away with its tail between its legs. :heart::sunflower:

4 Likes

Just mindfully repeating these words: anicca, dukkha, anatta.

In the sense this (body-and-mind) is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self. Nothing is belonging to me, myself.

Boredom feeling, being not real, arises (by conditions). Having arisen, it ceases completely (by conditions). It is a result of previous action, but there is no doer (anatta).

Nothing (existence and non-existence) is belonging to my self.

It may help!

Boredom is related to laziness and should be dealt with as laziness as explained in the suttas

1. this question can only be deeply answered by samadhi practice & vipassana bhavana by the questioner himself within himself (under the guidance of a competent teacher) and so any amount of intellectual or pariyatti dhamma discussion with others will not help much.

2. what we call boredom is actually the thinmiddha (sloth & torpor) nivarana & may also be coupled with uddhacca kukkucca (restlessness) nivarana. the immediate solution to subdue the nivarana is samadhi practice & the ultimate solution is panna (vipassana) bhavana (under the direct guidance of a competent teacher).

with metta,

M

1 Like

I sometimes reflect that boredom is a luxury. :smirk:

2 Likes