How do you say “I teach only suffering and the cessation of suffering.” in Pali?

Bhikkhu Bodhi says here that “pubbe c’aham bhikkhave etarahi ca dukkhan c’eva pannapemi, dukkhassa ca nirodham.” does not translate to “I teach only suffering and the cessation of suffering.”

My question is how would you say “I teach only suffering and the cessation of suffering.” in Pali? I realize there may be more than one way to do so.

And what have I explained? I have explained: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering’

Kiñca, bhikkhave, mayā akkhātaṁ? ‘Idaṁ dukkhan’ti, bhikkhave, mayā akkhātaṁ, ‘ayaṁ dukkhasamudayo’ti mayā akkhātaṁ, ‘ayaṁ dukkhanirodho’ti mayā akkhātaṁ, ‘ayaṁ dukkhanirodhagāminī paṭipadā’ti mayā akkhātaṁ.

See here: SuttaCentral

Not the exact translation for your request, but a start.

1 Like

The related topic about whether the Buddha only taught dukkha and its cessation is discussed here:

In scholastic Pali if one were aiming at a completely unambiguous statement of such a meaning, a common way to do it would be with ṭhapetvā construction. This absolutive literally means “having set aside…”, but we can translate it more freely as “except for…”

Dukkhañca dukkhanirodhañca ṭhapetvā, na kiñci desemi.

“Having set aside suffering and the cessation of suffering, I don’t teach anything.”

5 Likes

I am just asking what the sentence would be if he meant “only”.

1 Like