How much should lay people keep themselves informed about what's happening in samsara?

I don’t see how I have strayed from the opening piece? I thought the opening question was whether a lay-Buddhist should keep themselves informed about what’s happening in Samsara - and how this should influence their political decisions - whether they should vote or not etc. Is climate-change happening in this little-corner of Samsara? Are social-activists - including monks and nuns - involved in trying to change these terrible circumstances - or not? What should we do as lay-Buddhists with regard to these political, environmental and, social issues?

There are many politicians on both sides of politics who are also inspired by ‘Malala’ they try to help her in her heroic social-activism and not out of a desire for power - but out of a social-conscience. Just because you are a politician does not automatically make you into an power-hungry control-freak. Furthermore, identifying as a Buddhist may not make someone capable of critical thinking and good political decision making. Whether someone is power-hungry - or not - has to do with their intentions and motivations that finds expression through the way they live their lives - correct?

Here is an exert from a recent post by ‘Bhikku Bodhi’ - a renunciate and a social-activist:

"People of faith know that health care is a right, and we want to make sure that everyone has the resources they need to have health coverage in 2018. Health coverage is affordable and easy to sign up for – but you MUST sign up by December 15!

Visit healthcare.gov, calling 1-800-318-2596, or get local help by visiting localhelp.healthcare.gov to shop for plans and sign up."

My question is: would I be misguided if I voted for a political party that supported ‘universal health care’ for all - if they were the party in power?

1 Like

The question was about consuming news media as a means of being informed.

There are plenty of places on the internet to debate politics. The Watercooler is for lighthearted discussion. The discussion, although important, to some, seems to me to have strayed from the question and the guidelines for the Watercooler.

This is my personal opinion. If this post turns yellow then I am wearing my official mod hat.

4 Likes

Who is paying the bill?
Health care is always mishandled.
What health care does is make drug companies rich.

Being a Buddhist with an interest in free and open expression regarding important issues I appreciate the expression of your personal opinion. I am light-hearted in expressing my heart-felt views on this thread. I am saddened to hear it if what I have said has given you a heavy-heart. Maybe you could share a good joke to lighten the atmosphere if it is troubling you? What does wearing a mod-hat and turning yellow mean?

The Watercooler is a place to support each other and make connections, not to prove a point or for heated debate. Threads that stray from this category’s purpose will be moved, closed or deleted.

A message from your patient moderator

5 Likes

What if I am a cancer patient - or my child is - and I need healthcare coverage that a political party takes away from me. What if thousands of people are in need of healthcare coverage to treat their illnesses and it is taken away from them by a government - in power. What if this is (actually) happening - as it is in the U.S.A - should I vote for the political party who has implemented this policy?

Yes, but keep your fingers cross.

@laurence, @SarathW1
I too think your posts are way off the OP. Would you please start your own thread?

IMO the OP posed a important question for Buddhist voters. Also I have put some effort into responding with some perspective that I think are important for politically engaged Buddhists. So I’m going to “blow my own horn” and say that I experience your posts as distracting from a worthy dialog.

@Pasanna - I guess you can’t ban individuals from a single thread?

2 Likes

Returning to the OP I thought I’d share my own experience with cutting back on news media.

During vasa I read the news twice, voted once and called my local member of parliament once.

The vote was the Australian marriage equality survey. A non-compulsory survey. I could have spent hours on the internet getting frustrated about other people’s views. I once would have. It would have been suffering and not changed much. The offline, face to face, discussions I had were more effective. I spent about 15 minutes online researching the obscure nature of the survey. I had no question about the issue. No need to spend hours reading.

The issue I rang my local mp was a long standing national issue where I feel the government has been negligent for too long. The most effective thing I could do: make a phone call.

The only other thing I felt I missed during the time was the split from Spain by Catalonia. Doesn’t effect me in the slightest but I’m always interested when new countries pop up.

Day to day politics isn’t something we get to vote in. In Australia it’s once every three years. In my opinion reading the news once every few weeks is enough to be informed, do research and contact members of parliament or attend protests.

This post is written and authorised by Pasanna. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I don’t know, :neutral_face:
I would like this thread to continue but will put the whole thread in time-out until a more experienced moderator can help, if the thread continues in the way it has.

4 Likes

Ok, sorry, the stick is in your hand now.

Well I vote. I watch the news. I look at the local paper. I attend the residents meetings for the council estate where I live. I sometimes attend branch meetings of a political party. I read links of interest (political) that I see on twitter .

For me the line is not fixed.

:open_mouth: Oh my goodness! Did they go ahead with that?!

I regularly drop out of news cycles (after much experimentation - well before my interest in the Dhamma - I’ve found I tend to prefer life that way, and it makes a fun game of “guess what folk are talking about?” all the more so because in about 80% of cases it is predictable and I could write the news script myself from memory) I poke my head in every so offer and occasionally do plug-in a more committed way (typically around vote times). Yes, of course some things pass me by, but by the magical powers of the internet, if I’m that fussed, I can go on and read about them subsequently.

Better check up on Catalonia, also I’ve heard rumours that King George is in ill health. :grin:

2 Likes

The odds don’t look as good as a few months ago when I last checked.

I find stepping back from the news gives a broader and less reactionary perspective to important issues.

I can’t say I’m at all phased by the Royal family.

Last time I came back from my media holiday it was all Harvey Weinstein. Sent me straight back to my exile.

A lot of these issues seem more symptomatic and less surprising from a distance. The buddha nailed it with ‘desire, aversion and delusion’ 2600yrs ago.

4 Likes