SuttaCentral

How should I submit my translation(s)?

I am sorry if I have missed instruction on this in the available topics. Time to time I make a translation of an EBT sutta into Czech if it is not available in SuttaCentral.

Where should I submit it? It’s hard to imagine that every translation would require a separate topic in the forum, considering how many languages there are multiplied by the number of suttas.

So, who should I tell? What should I do?

7 Likes

Post it here, in the translations category, and tag Bhante @sujato in order to ensure it gets his attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

? Does ven. Sujato know Czech? Or is he, the most busy person I suppose out of all of us, to do this robotic task of adding every single sutta into the database? @sujato

Aṅguttara Nikāya 4.8.77. Acinteyya Sutta (English SuttaCentral , Czech tr. by Ashin Sarana)

„Mniši, jsou tyto čtyři věci, o kterých nelze přemýšlet, nemělo by se o nich přemýšlet. Kdokoliv o nich bude přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení. Které čtyři? (1) Mniši, o rozsahu Buddhy (náležícím) Buddhům by se nemělo přemýšlet. Kdokoliv o něm bude přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení. (2) Mniši, o rozsahu džhánového pohroužení (náležícím) meditujícímu by se nemělo přemýšlet. Kdokoliv o něm bude přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení. (3) Mniši, o kammických činech a jejich následcích by se nemělo přemýšlet. Kdokoliv o nich bude přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení. (4) Mniši, o světě (“myšlenkách o světě”) by se nemělo přemýšlet. Kdokoliv o nich bude přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení. Jsou tyto čtyři věci, o kterých nelze přemýšlet. Nemělo by se o nich přemýšlet a kdokoliv se bude snažit o nich přemýšlet se buď zblázní nebo dojde znechucení.“
(Rozprava) sedmá.

4 Likes

It is co-ordinated By Bhante. We are a very small volunteer team assigned various roles. Bhante is best placed to answer your question, and/or to direct it to the attention of specific others :slight_smile:

metta

3 Likes

Last I heard, there was a many-months-long freeze on new translations being added while Blake, Bhante, and team work on never-ending backend changes

@Aminah: has that never-ending blocker ended yet? Or does its anicca continue to elude us?

3 Likes

I am perplexed. Does that mean that no new translations are accepted… for the time being?

2 Likes

Greetings Bhante!
AFAIK Sutta central uses the bilara app to upload translation work.
How it works is explained clearly here.
@karl_lew or @blake can probably give us more clarity on the matter.

2 Likes

There are two types of translation text used on the site, legacy format texts and segmented texts.

Bilara is the translation software developed by SC that produces segmented translations, which are best suited for all the site’s swish features. It’s still so new I think at the minute there are only a couple of early trial translation projects set up on it, but certainly once it’s been developed to the dev team’s satisfaction it will be step by step rolled out to all interested translators. If you are interested in working with Bilara, Ven. Sujato is, indeed, the one you’d arrange that with, but again at the minute, I’m not sure that new projects are being accepted just yet.

Legacy format texts are hard coded HTML texts, that are prepared from any other sources (such as the text give above, or from a txt, doc, html or other file). For these kinds of additions just contact me by PM and we can figure out the most convenient way for you to forward files. As noted above it has been a while since new legacy texts have been updated on the live site, but we have been accepting and adding new texts to the GitHub repository throughout and continue to do so and when the site is next updated they will go live.

6 Likes

Venerable, if you want to submit new translations, best do it via Bilara. I have added you there in private thread, so you can see what is going on.

Not yet, unfortunately. So sorry about this, no-one is more frustrated than I! The team is working hard every week, it’s just a complicated task, is all. You can see progress here:

Currently, Blake is working on the publication model for Bilara, and Hongda is working on the “Gingerbread” navigation system.

5 Likes

Venerable, once your translations are segmented and entered into SuttaCentral via Bilara, they will also become available via voice.suttacentral.net. Voice provides TTS services for languages supported by AWS Polly. Czech voices are not available at this time from Amazon, which is unfortunate. However, if you would like to provide a Czech translation of the Voice web application, please contact Anagarika @Sabbamitta for more information.
:pray:

2 Likes

So, is the Voice web application owned by SuttaCentral?
Why would a translation of Voice web application be useful?
Shouldn’t I rather record the Czech translation (rather than an application)?
Is the application used by users without leaving SuttaCentral? Isn’t the recording incorporated into the sutta browsing in SuttaCentral?

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Voice is a separate web application that is cross-linked with SuttaCentral. Voice is optimized for text-to-speech and the visually disabled, but sighted people have also found it useful for listening to the Dhamma. Both applications rely on bilara-data.

Translations of the Voice interface provide a warm welcome to native speakers, even if those native speakers are fluent in English. Bilingual native speakers will often set the web interface to their native language while reading Pali/English Dhamma. It would be even better if we also had native translations of the Dhamma to read.

Recording all the Tipitaka is a huge undertaking and not all translators wish to be recorded. However, Bhante Sujato himself is doing this and Voice does provide those recordings thanks to the efforts of @MichaelH. The challenge with human recording is to align what is read with what is spoken, segment by segment. Voice essentially requires segmented audio, which adds further complication. MichaelH has made segmented human recording possible, yet even with scripted automation, audio editing requires much work.

If acceptable TTS voices are available, they can provide immediate and comprehensive Dhamma access for the visually impaired. Voice currently supports Pali, English and German, with plans for Japanese and Portuguese. However TTS services are not available for all contemporary languages.

Internet application boundaries are a bit fuzzy. A single application can reside on multiple servers. Multiple applications can work together. Voice is a satellite application orbiting SuttaCentral. The speaker icon on each SuttaCentral sutta directs the user to Voice, which provides access to sound repositories in the cloud.

4 Likes

Karl is speaking of a list of about 230 terms for showing the Voice interface in Czech language. We have currently more than 10 languages for the interface, and have implemented reading voices for three translation languages and Pali.

The first interface language other than English that we implemented was German which is my native language. From that very moment on I have never again switched back to the English interface, except for testing purposes—although at that time there wasn’t any German Sutta translation available in Voice.

From this experience I find it very worthwhile to have an interface in another language, even if there aren’t (yet) any Suttas for listening available in that language. Therefore I like to encourage translators who are interested to also translate the Voice web interface. It’s not that many words.

2 Likes

I have the feeling that the process of translating here is just so incredibly complicated… to be honest.

I had to make an account in GitHub, go through a course in GitHub (something I really didn’t plan to do today…) and then understand codes, which, although you may think this is easy, is again nothing I planned to do today… :sweat_smile:

Then add to it the trouble with loading GitHub page and orienting in an environment where I know just so well that I have nothing to do. (As we say in Czech, staring like a bacillus in a pharmacy.) I totally understand that this is the way things are and do not mean it so much as a criticism, rather as a sincere wish that the time of translators is used for translating, not for learning GitHub and that kind of stuff. (Do I sound hysterical? :upside_down_face: )

I am most enthusiastic to translate a couple of hundred words from English to Czech. Is there an easy link or process which will just take me to the site and I can translate right away? You can set rules and stuff, but please, don’t have me study another programming course. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Praise be to your courage, Bhante!

Indeed, a GitHub account is required for using Bilara, for you need editing rights in the repository. The good news: The translation interface of Bilara itself is really easy to use and doesn’t require any special programming knowledge at all. But it’s true that you first have to get there …

I hope to make it very easy now to translate the Voice web interface. If questions arise, please ask and I’ll do my best to assist.

I created a Czech language file for you:

You may have guessed: It lives on GitHub. :grimacing:

Since you have an account there now you could edit the file directly in GitHub and then submit it as a proposal. Then Karl or I can check if the JSON syntax hasn’t been affected by any chance and accept your proposal.

But if you prefer you can also copy it into any text editor or whatever you’d like to use, and I will then copy your translation into the file from there. I already managed to do this for Japanese of which I understand not a single bit and am very confident to manage for Czech too (of which I also don’t understand a single bit).

What needs to be translated is the text that is between the single/double quote marks in the second half of each line, after the colon.

What should not be touched is the colon, the quote marks that “contain” the text-to-be-translated, so to speak, and the commas at the end of the lines. Basically, everything that isn’t included into these “quote marks that contain the text-to-be-translated”.

4 Likes

May today’s suffering lead to faith that Github joy awaits in the form of limitless sharing, archival and search. :heart:

Git does implement multiple parallel document universes without end, so your caution and wariness are quite sensible. We are all a bit :scream_cat: regarding git. After learning Bilara itself, you won’t need to worry further about Github itself–Bilara gives translators quite a lot and expedites careful, consistent translation.

4 Likes

I’ve moved cs.ts to cz.ts, since the two-letter ISO code for Czech is CZ.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you! CS is what I found on SuttaCentral.

1 Like

:open_mouth: That is Serbia (?)

1 Like

Actually, I don’t see cz.ts in the list …

Screenshot from 2020-06-29 17-44-48

It’s called “Čeština” on SC. Google translate says this means “Czech”. Maybe we should ask the expert, @sarana.

2 Likes