How to attain Jhanas with metta according to the Suttas?

Hi everyone.

I read many times that jhanas are possible with metta, but I would like to read any suttas that could guide me? Does anyone here know any?

1 Like

From what I have learned, Metta is one of the four Brahma-viharas. It is a different type of meditation from the four Jhanas. The idea of attaining the Jhanic states through Metta can be found in the Visuddhimagga, which is a treatise on Buddhist meditation written by Buddhaghosa. However, I doubt that it has a basis when compared to the Nikaya scriptures.
You can read the following sutta in English: https://suttacentral.net/an3.63/en/bodhi
The sutta describes three types of beds corresponding to three meditative states. You can see the difference between the four Brahma abodes and the four Jhanas.

For more information, you can read this sutta: https://suttacentral.net/dn26/en/sujato

And what is happiness for a mendicant? It’s when a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. As the placing of the mind and keeping it connected are stilled, they enter and remain in the second absorption … third absorption … fourth absorption. This is happiness for a mendicant.

And what is wealth for a mendicant? It’s when a monk meditates spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of love to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. They meditate spreading a heart full of compassion … rejoicing … equanimity to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of equanimity to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. This is wealth for a mendicant.

2 Likes

The Dhamma Sukha meditation center specializes in metta and brahma-vihara meditation. They have online retreats you can do over email, which are very helpful and convenient.

But like @hdvd2309 said, you won’t find complete instructions in the suttas. You need to piece together the meditation techniques from different Suttas or commentaries like the Visuddhimagga.

The Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga provide basic to advanced instructions for the meditation. Personally, I prefer the instructions from the Vimuttimagga, but they’re basically the same as the ones from the Visuddhimagga.

If you want something modern, I’d recommend The Path to Nibbana by David C. Johnson. It goes over the meditation in detail from beginning to end.

This describes the culmination or highest development of good will, when used as a function of insight.
In the overall picture the Buddha regarded it as an inferior practice:

I tell you, monks, awareness-release through good will has the beautiful as its excellence — in the case of one who has penetrated to no higher release. [2]"

—Samyutta Nikaya 46.54

At a mundane level the suttas emphasize the expansive quality of good will and its ability to dispel the unwholesome :

“Just as a strong conch-trumpet blower can notify the four directions without any difficulty, in the same way, when the awareness-release through good will is thus developed, thus pursued, any deed done to a limited extent no longer remains there, no longer stays there.”

—Samyutta Nikaya 42.8

I know of AN 8.63:

“Well then, mendicant, you should train like this: ‘My mind will be steady and well settled internally. And bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen will not occupy my mind.’ That’s how you should train.

When your mind is steady and well settled internally, and bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen don’t occupy your mind, then you should train like this: ‘I will develop the heart’s release by love. I’ll cultivate it, make it my vehicle and my basis, keep it up, consolidate it, and properly implement it.’ That’s how you should train.

When this immersion is well developed and cultivated in this way, you should develop it while placing the mind and keeping it connected… [four jhanas]

But the parallell MA 76 (I put the Indonesian version through google translate) does not directly connect the brahmaviharas to the jhanas in this way, rather, it has the brahmaviharas further down the path after developing the four satipatthanas and the four jhanas.

I.e. in MA 76 the brahmaviharas seem kinda distinct from the jhanas, as far as I can tell.

There’s also SN 46.54:

And how is the heart’s release by love developed? What is its destination, apex, fruit, and end? It’s when a mendicant develops the heart’s release by love together with the awakening factors of mindfulness, investigation of principles, energy, rapture, tranquility, immersion, and equanimity, which rely on seclusion, fading away, and cessation, and ripen as letting go. …

4 Likes

There are stages of development. Samyutta Nikaya 46.54 links them when developed to higher stages.