How to understand a mother's love in the Metta Sutta

Ajahn @Brahmali,

I’ve been considering all this further…

So…the simile of the saw practise is a thing that must be done before one’s mind is free to spread metta with a sense of the directions (rather than specific beings)…

Ajahn…I feel rather excitedly that this make sense in terms of the metta byproduct that occurs with any other type of meditation. (Actually, metta is generally an attitudinal thing rather than a method for me.) Because any ill will in the mind is actually specifically directed at someone or something - it’s not a thing that’s generally directed towards an unspecific group. I mean, this hindrance is frequently about the specific individuals we don’t like or have low tolerances for. Also Ajahn, it seems to me now that when one does then meet folks (who are a part of that group called, “all beings”) then if one works in this way, one is actually more likely to treat them with metta when they actually are in front of one.

Any while (I think) alot of suttas talk about the directions. This sutta talks about all beings. But that must mean, that we can’t have any ill will towards anyone specific. It’s a teaching that we can’t widen the net if we’re hung up with ill towards someone specific.

And I was thinking about what I said:

It’s this whole thing of taking care not to get into ill will over specific people or situations…isn’t it? It must seem so obvious but such is the shroud of delusion that it hasn’t been clear at all to me.

I am not saying it is crystal clear or anything… But these little shifts and little changes of approach feel so nice, even though humble and still impermanent.

Thanks again Ajahn for the example you set and the guidance you offer. I hope you have a nice peaceful afternoon.

3 Likes