"I declare ONLY suffering and its cessation." — The Buddha, indeed

Hey @Green You’ve mentioned me and this a few times now, and you seem to be perplexed by this simile. At the same time you seem to be misrepresenting what I have stated, so I thought I would address it for you. What I actually said is:

So this is not about a “wish to cease and vanish” as you put it, it is not about a desire, a craving, a thirst to end existence as in sn56.13, but it is rather about an appreciation, an understanding that all that comes to be ceases.

The simile shows that this process that we are involved in started a very long time ago, so far that we can’t see it’s beginning and it has delusion (avijjā) as it’s sustaining feature. Despite what we desire it will come to an end after that delusion is removed. The Buddha gradually helps us to remove that delusion and the removal of that delusion is most wonderful. While we are still deluded, we will think that there some corner of existence; some lovely realm, where we can exist blissfully and not harm ourselves and/or those around us. You are not alone in wishing that. But it’s the wishing (whether wishing for continued existence or for existence to end) that is the problem.

4 Likes