I think nibbana is that eternal pure consciousness that Mahayanist often talk about here are why

How is that different from the dimension of nothingness?

1 Like

it’s even more subtle

Yes. The mind which is free from defilements still experiences color and sight (from light). However, such a mind does not cling to anything (light, color/sight or even mind, etc.) in the world.

I would rather say: Light interacts with the eyes to form eye-consciousness. From there, the mind experiences light as sight and color. Light is not an experience.

Here, again, you still don’t get out of the confusion yet. You need to differentiate between kilesa-parinibbāna and parinibbāna. In that sutta, Ven. Sariputta was referring to kilesa-parinibbāna. Of course, as an arahant, Ven. Sariputta experienced kilesa-parinibbāna. This is what I said from the beginning of this thread.

The “knower” is just a conventional usage of language, same situation with “self” or “being”. As I said, the mind at arahant level experiences kilesa-parinibbāna. I did NOT say: There is a knower who experiences kilesa-parinibbāna.

Nibbāna is not mind or citta or consciousness or self or states of mind. It does not make any sense to say nibbāna “knows”. Nibbāna is not “something” and it’s not “external” and it’s not “internal”. Such concept does not applies here.

There is no such kind of dependent origination as taught by the Buddha. Knowledge does not arise that way.

Also, as I said in this thread, Nibbāna is a reality as confirmed by the 3rd Noble Truth.

1 Like

Please note: Here is a discussion forum and I am not at arahant level. I present my understanding for discussion. I back it up with suttas, logical and experience. I am ready to let go of my view if it is shown to me beyond doubt that it leads to suffering.

To my understanding: Nibbāna is a reality as firmly announced in the 3rd Noble Truth. It’s permanent, meaning it’s always there.

For the phrase “waiting to be discovered”, it is somewhat confusing. Nibbāna does not wait for anything or for anyone. Instead of “to be discovered”, I would rather say: It’s a guarantee that the mind at arahant level, free from defilements will surely experience Nibbāna.

You can check the following Mūlapariyāyasutta MN1

They directly know extinguishment as extinguishment.
nibbānaṁ nibbānato abhijānāti;
But they don’t identify with extinguishment, they don’t identify regarding extinguishment, they don’t identify as extinguishment, they don’t identify that ‘extinguishment is mine’, they don’t take pleasure in extinguishment.
nibbānaṁ nibbānato abhiññāya nibbānaṁ na maññati, nibbānasmiṁ na maññati, nibbānato na maññati, nibbānaṁ meti na maññati, nibbānaṁ nābhinandati.
Why is that?
Taṁ kissa hetu?
Because they have completely understood it, I say.
‘Pariññātaṁ tassā’ti vadāmi.

1 Like

If Nibbana is a permanent and objective reality, then presumably the Arahant has managed to connect with it in some sense. How do you see that happening?

As I said above in this thread, I am not at arahant level. I present my understanding for discussion. I back it up with suttas, logical and experience. I am ready to let go of my view if it is shown to me beyond doubt that it leads to suffering.

“Arahant” or “self” or “being” or “knower”, all those are just conventional usage of language. Instead, we should talk about “the mind at arahant level which is free from defilements”. And that kind of mind experiences the kilesa-nibbāna.

For the mind who is not yet at arahant level, it’s impossible to understand that kind of experience. We only know the path to experience kilesa-nibbāna as taught by the Buddha. We don’t know exactly that experience yet. We can experience that kind of experience (kilesa-nibbāna) here and now in this lifetime by training the mind to get rid of defilements.

Just take an example: Suppose you never been to the top of Mount Everest. There is no way you can understand the experience of standing on the top of Mount Everest. You can hear from the people who has been there but it’s not the same experience. The only way to experience that is to go there by yourselves through correct instruction steps. As long as the instructions are good and you follow them correctly, it’s guarantee that you will get that experience.

1 Like