I tried to translate again for "The Savanampahaṃ"

I am a student studying Pali Tipitaka.
I tried to translate again for “The Savanampahaṃ”.
My translation method, please see the bottom.

Savana: hearing
paha: able to
te(ta°): this
sa: The foll(= following ).
na: that

bhikkhave Savana+m+paha+ṃ , te+sa+ṃ bhikkhū+na+ṃ vadāmi bahu+kāra+ṃ .
Savanampahaṃ bhikkhave, tesaṃ bhikkhūnaṃ bahukāraṃ vadāmi.

3 Likes

To understand a sentence, start with understanding the context. The Buddha is talking to the monks, and praising the association with well-practiced monastics. There’s a series of sentences, all the same, with a variation in just one word, which is the act one should do in relation to those monastics, such as seeing, hearing, recollecting, and so on.

The sentence breaks down like this:

• savanam—hearing (accusative; normally the final letter would be , changed to m because of the following labial plosive p
  • p(i)—too, also, even (enclitic particle; the vowel is elided, but is felt in the lengthening of the following a)
  • ahaṁ—I (nominative, governing the verb)
  • tesaṁ—of those (demonstrative pronoun, genitive plural)
  • bhikkhūnaṁ—of (those) monks (genitive plural, agreeing with pronoun)
  • bahukaraṁ—lit. “much-doing”, i.e. “does much (good)”, an idiom meaning “very useful” or “beneficial” (accusative; agrees with savanam)
  • vadāmi—I say, I declare (1st person present verb)

Translation:

I say that even listening to those monastics is very useful.

Notes

Stylistically, Pali prefers to put verbs at the end of sentences, reserving the beginning for emphasis. In English we normally put the verb at the beginning in a simple sentence, so we should generally follow the English idiom.

Use “very useful” rather than “beneficial” or “of great service”, as it is simpler.

Regarding the translation of “bhikkhu”, Venerables Analayo and Anandajoti have recently pointed out that it is used in contexts where both monks and nuns are present, so it is best to use the gender-neutral term “monastics”.

The tone of the sentence is somewhat formal, so we could use “I declare…”. But this is rarely used in oral English. Moreover, vadāmi is a very common verb, so best stick with “say”.

2 Likes

Your reply has been very helpful to me.
Thank you.