I was blessed by the Buddha's bones

This is the Tibetan Buddhist nun, Thubten Chodron, blessing me with a relic of the historical Buddha.

She studied under the Dalai Lama and co-authored a book with him about Buddhism.

I don’t know if getting blessed by the Buddha’s bones had any spiritual effect, but it was a humbling experience.

Whenever I do bad things, I need to remember that I was blessed by the Buddha’s bones,

6 Likes

After the Buddha passed away, his remains were divided up and sent to various Buddhist kingdoms. It wouldn’t be surprising that, when missionaries first came to Tibet, they brought a relic of the Buddha with them:

Śarīra is a generic term referring to Buddhist relics, although in common usage it usually refers to pearl or crystal-like bead-shaped objects that are purportedly found among the cremated ashes of Buddhist spiritual masters…

There is evidence that under certain conditions of heating, human bones can form crystalline structures.[4] In one chemical analysis, śarīras were found to be composed of the constituent elements of both bones and stones.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śarīra

The Buddha relic was part of a traveling exhibit sponsored by the Dalai Lama.