If jhana is total absorption without physical sensation, why is pain only abandoned in the fourth jhana?

Hey, preston, that’s understandable. Sorry for implying something you didn’t say. But when you said “the 5 senses ceasing in the formless” I read it as ceasing only at that moment. Because we also don’t say that the “hindrances cease in the formless”; we say they cease in the first jhana. With the topic at hand being whether there is physical sensation in the jhanas or not, I hope you can see why I replied as I did.

Lol. True. As soon as I pressed ‘post’ I kinda knew I shouldn’t have posted the last line, but I saw you were already replying. I didn’t want to edit my post anymore.

Anyway, I actually disagree that “they can completely settle the debate for themself” by reading the suttas. That’s why I said that last thing, actually. Because the suttas can clearly be interpreted both ways. Only experience will settle the debate.

2 Likes

That’s nice to hear. And yes, it is a bit like that, but not completely. Because kāya just can’t be translated with a single word. It doesn’t mean ‘touching the highest truth with the body’ in Pāli either. Because kāya doesn’t mean ‘body’ in this instance. (And likewise in the jhana similes.)

I would like to say again that if you have any doubt about whether in the jhanas there is physical sensation or not, it probably doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t “give up” on the deeper states of mind, which some people belief are attained only at the arūpas. Just practice for their “arūpas”, and you’ll be safe either way, as you implied earlier. :thinking:

To come back to your original question, to which I replied:

This is also the understanding of the suttas:

“And where does the arisen pain (dukkha) faculty cease without remainder? Here, bhikkhus, secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters and dwells in the first jhana”. (SN48.40, Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation)

1 Like

Hey joseph, You’re very reliable, becaues I can always trust upon you to disagree with me! haha :sweat_smile:

This “liberated by wisdom” is commonly thought to refer to somebody who is liberated through the four jhanas, not needing the arūpas. So in that case jhana didn’t get lost.

And if anything has gotten lost, I would argue it’s because people made it easier, because they lowered the bar. The kind of “jhana” some people teach nowadays can’t really get lost because most people can attain them with relative ease.

In fact, today between pindapat and lunch I had 5 minutes to meditate and I attained the “fourth jhana” according to some descriptions. :rofl: (or according to how I understand them)

2 Likes

Where did you acquire this claim? According to the following table, there is a wide range of rebirths available to those with jhana attainment.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html

None of those states automatically imply non-returning.

On the same subject, those practicing “brahmavihara” can, if they understand it well and practice it well, abide in:

• the retinue of Brahma (also attained by those who have rudimentary attainment of 1st Jhana) - for metta
  • the Abhassara devas (for Karuna)
  • the Subhakinha devas (for Mudita)
  • the Vehapphala devas (Upekkha)

See: AN4.125

2 Likes

Hey, again! :upside_down_face:

But also said to be experienced “with the kāya” are “the deathless”, “the formless states”, and so on. I think you’ll agree it doesn’t mean ‘with the body’ there.

Ah! That sutta is actually the best argument against “disembodied” jhanas, and I’m happy you brought it up. :slightly_smiling_face:

If this is what the Buddha himself said, then yes, it would be awkward to interpret this with one meaning of kāya as ‘experiencer’ and the other as ‘body’.

However, the jhanas fit very poorly into the overall sutta. I explained it in some length in this other topic. Consider for example:

“After you get fully separated from sensual experiences and unskillful states of mind, you attain the first jhana […] As you meditate like this, being diligent, motivated, and energetic, you will abandon worldly memories and intentions [i.e. the hindrances]. Once they are abandoned, your mind gets fixed, settles down, reaches oneness, and unifies internally.”

This say that you abandon the hindrances and attain the first jhana, after which as a result you abandon the hindrances and attain the first jhana. That makes no sense. Something is off here.

I think the passage of the jhanas is inauthentic and only included because of the word kāya. The more authentic version of mindfulness of the body is taught in the Satipatthana Sutta, where the jhanas are missing.

The similes for the jhanas (which speak about “the kāya (experience) filled with pīti”) are quite rare in the canon. They occur in DN2, MN39, and MN77, the Chinese parallels of which ALL lack the similes! Clearly the Theravada tradition had a tendency to add these similes to suttas which originally didn’t have them.

They are also in MN119, the sutta you’re referring to. But here it is also different from the Chinese. Because in the Chinese the jhana similes are included but the jhanas themselves are not. Strange. Again, it’s inconsistent and broken.

The last instance in the Pali canon is AN5.28, which to me seems the only authentic discourse with these similes, and it’s no surprise that it’s the shortest of all of them. Now interestingly, this text has three similes on “able to realize” which are found only here and in MN119. A coincidence? I don’t think so. I think, although we can never be sure, that MN119 is an “accidental” mix of the Satipatthana section on mindfulness of the body together with AN5.28. It was done by somebody else than the Buddha.

It could have been done on purpose as well. Scholars agree that the Pali texts have been edited, and one of the clearest aspects of editing is this sort of thing, where passages are linked together in inauthentic ways. We can derive this from comparing the Pali to the Chinese, for example. It happens quite a lot, especially in the longer texts like DN and MN. Normally such inauthentic inclusions don’t create any problems, so we almost never notice them, but in MN119 they do cause an issue.

See also Ven. Sujato’s “history of mindfulness”. It doesn’t address MN119 as far as I recall, but it does show some of these principles with respect to the Satipatthana sutta.

Yes, you have a good point, but study how ill the jhanas fit into the sutta, and you may see it from my perspective.

Are we talking about Samma Samadhi (right view + perfected precepts with all the N8FP) or other/ Micha samadhi?

If you are referring to other/Micha Samadhi, how can you use Buddha teaching to verify it? It is not possible. Because Buddha only teach samma samadhi (path & result/ wisdom).

keyword:

aparihīno
not to lose it. (not going to lower life - sensual realm)

AN 4.125

… If they dwell in that, are committed to it, and live on it often without losing it, when they die they’re reborn in the company of the gods of Brahmā’s Host.

An ordinary person stays there until the lifespan of those gods is spent, then they go to hell or the animal realm or the ghost realm.

But a disciple of the Buddha stays there until the lifespan of those gods is spent, then they’re extinguished in that very life. (Non return for any ariya that able to maintain jhana till end of life.

btw, you might also want to check AN 4.123, AN 4.124, AN 4.125, AN 4.126 for different variety of possibility for samma samadhi & micha samadhi result.

For other reference, in AN 3.86, it is described that only a non returner of higher has perfected samma samadhi. Even a sotapanna are not capable to lives in jhana till end of life yet.

Take another case of a mendicant who has fulfilled their ethics and samadhi, but has limited wisdom.

With the ending of the five lower fetters they’re reborn spontaneously. They are extinguished there, and are not liable to return from that world. (non return)

Take another case of a mendicant who has fulfilled their ethics, samadhi, and wisdom.

They realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life. And they live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements. (arahant)

so, Only an Ariya who is non returner or higher can know FOR SURE what the real Samma Samadhi is. A Puthujjana will never know yet, let alone a stream enterer who is still living with sensual pleasure (See MN 14).

This is why you will see many conflicting argument. Possibly an overestimation or completely blind (aka clueless).

1 Like

Hello again Bhante, :anjal:

I know you quoted Erik, but I’m going to jump in here, since you addressed the points I made as well.

Which instance of the plural kāma in AN6.63 are you referring to? I’m not sure if I see it. Please clarify.

Either way, if it’s there, I would almost call it the exception that proves the rule. Let’s assume there’s one (or a few) instance in the canon of kāmā in the plural meaning ‘desires’. Then considering the dozens of times where it refers to the objects, chances are pretty small it refers to desires in the jhana formula.

But your contact has a good point reglardless, namely that context determines the meaning, as I also said. But context determines the number as well, so these things are not unrelated.

I agree, but who are guilty of doing that, that’s the question.

So let’s consider some contexts instead of just the number. I’ll share my own translations because Bodhi as well as Sujato translate kāmā and kāmasukha both as ‘sensual pleasure’, which is not wrong per se, but it is somewhat confusing in this case.

First sutta for context:

“Udāyī, there are the objects of the five senses (kāmaguṇa). What five? Sights that can be seen with the sense of sight, sounds that can be heard with the sense of hearing, odors that can be smelt with the sense of smell, flavors that can be tasted with the sense of taste, and tangibles that can be felt with the sense of touch, that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasing, sensual, and alluring. Those are the objects of the five senses.

The pleasure and happiness coming from these objects of the five senses is called sensual pleasure (kāmasukha), shitty pleasure, common pleasure, and ignoble pleasure. That kind of pleasure you should not pursue, develop, or cultivate. You should fear that kind of pleasure, I tell you.

After you get fully separated (vivicc’eva) from sensory experiences (kāmehi) and unskillful qualities, you attain the first jhana, where there is delight and bliss caused by the separation, to which the mind moves and holds on.

That is what is meant by the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of separation, the pleasure of peace, and the pleasure of awakening. That kind of pleasure you should pursue, develop, and cultivate. You should not fear that kind of pleasure, I tell you.” (MN66)

It seems clear to me that kāma in “separated from sensory experiences (kāmehi)” refers to the objective experiences mentioned only two sentences before, not to “desires”.

Similarly:

“And what is physical delight? The delight that arises dependent on these objects of the five senses (kāmaguṇa), that is what is meant by physical delight.

And what is non-physical delight? Then, after you get fully separated from sensory experiences (kāmehi) and unskillful states of mind, you attain the first jhana, where there is delight and bliss caused by the separation, to which the mind moves and holds on. After the moving and holding subside, you attain the second jhana, where the mind is confident within and at one, not moving or holding on, so there is just delight and bliss caused by the unification. That is what is meant by non-physical delight.”(SN36.31)

This also aligns with pīti in context of samādhi being called pītimana in various different contexts, meaning “with a delighted mind”. Not body.

In the same vein (quoting Sujato because I haven’t translated this text):

"The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation (kāmaguṇa) is called sensual pleasure (kāmasukha). There are those who would say that this is the highest pleasure and happiness that sentient beings experience. But I don’t acknowledge that. Why is that? Because there is another pleasure that is finer than that.

And what is that pleasure? It’s when a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures (kāmehi), secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. This is a pleasure that is finer than that." (SN36.19)

This is how I read this: The bliss and happiness of jhanas is better than the best sex, music, food, bodily feelings, smells, sights, and so forth, because they are pure mental experiences of bliss. I don’t understand how the pīti and sukha would be more pleasant bodily experiences than the most pleasant bodily experiences…

So also here “secluded from sensual pleasures” refers to the objects of the senses. This is also why the jhanas, as I said before, are called “the bliss of seclusion” from the five senses, “rapture and bliss born of seclusion” from the five senses.

Anyway, I don’t want to talk about kāma all day :D, so I’ll just leave it at those three examples. But there are more, I recall, which are just as direct.

In short, it’s not only the number indicates that kāmehi means not desire but the objects; the contexts do as well—even more clearly so, I would say.

Apart from those in the Aj Brahm school of thought and those who go by the Visuddhimagga’s idea of jhana, I don’t know of anyone who accepts that plural definition kama in Margaret Cone’s dictionary.

I don’t see how that would matter. What the majority of people think is often not the right thing, anyway. Wrong ideas prevail on about every aspect of Buddhism. The Buddha also warned specifically that samadhi, of all factors of the path, is the thing that if not appreciated in later times would lead to the decline of the dhamma. (Sorry can’t remember the sutta, somewhere in AN.)

But (whether they base it on the number or context of kāmehi) we can add also the Pali-English dictionary, because it interprets vivicceva kāmehi in the ‘objective sense’. So does Cone, indeed. And so does the Critical Pali Dictionary. That’s the three most comprehensive dictionaries of Pāli all saying the same.

We can add the majority of translators as well, like I.B. Horner, Walsh, and also Bhikkhu Bodhi, who all translate “kāmehi” in the objective sense in the jhana formula, and in the plural. Only Thanissaro has “sensuality”, which is not a plural and also rather vague. (In the first jhana formula he also seems to have overlooked a grammatical detail about pītisukha, which is an adjective here, not a noun.)

So its not just “those in the Aj Brahm school of thought and those who go by the Visuddhimagga”. It is the majority interpretation it seems, in scholarly circles, anyway. There’s also plenty of people who practice the deep jhana both inside and outside Theravada.

I still would like to learn how you interpret vivicceva kāmehi, by the way, bhante. So far I’m doing almost all of the talking, but I don’t think the burden of proof is on me (or Erik) anymore.

:pray:

3 Likes

Hey Joe,

That is not so, because the text you quoted says, “Their physical discomfort is not completely cooled, their dullness and drowsiness is not completely eradicated, and their restlessness and remorse is not completely eliminated.” Since they still haven’t abandoned the hindrances of dullness and restlessness, they are still not in the first jhana. So they definitely aren’t in the third jhana, as you suggest.

Already in the first jhana all physical discomfort is given up:

It’s when a mendicant—due to the seclusion from attachments, the giving up of unskillful qualities, and the complete settling of physical discomfort—quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, (MN66)

2 Likes

But, Bhante, isn’t in AN4.113 the Buddha speaks about this: There are certain people who gets moved and realise for themselves that their bodies are also liable to sickness and death, which accords with: liable to impermanence, to wearing away and erosion, to breaking up and destruction (DN2). And then they also realise that when it happens, for them it will be a suffering.

By the way, AN5.28 is a great sutta indeed! Thank you for telling me about it.

Last but not least, do you have any list of the suttas that are deemed as inauthentic?

1 Like

I don’t know “micha”?

I’m referring to the table. The table outlines various births possible with jhana attainment ( = samma samadhi)

Thank you :pray:

There certainly are a lot of conflicting opinions/interpretations.

I’ve let go of the desire (personally speaking) to attain jhana (after years of searching for the solution to the formula).

I cultivate happiness on a daily basis. I have my own “spiritual” routine I follow. It keeps me satisfied and busy trying to be a better person everyday … better to my wife, my coworkers … better at my job … tolerating disappointment and dissatisfaction.

The goal of jhana is lofty. Some days I tell myself I have it. Other days I am not so sure. And so, what I do in fact have, I try not to label. I try to make it as pure a form of virtue and personal conduct that I can.

Having said that, I do enjoy Buddhism on an intellectual level.

3 Likes

I didn’t quote Erik.

Better let that person respond, if he chooses to.

Your questions are best answered by reading my book.

1 Like

There is not one sutta that says that the body is “dead” in jhana.
Instead it is the opposite it is thanks to the physical sensations that one knows in which jhana they are in.
The physical sensations are experienced as sukha (pleasure) in jhanas 1 to 3 and as the full sensation of the skin in every part of the body in jhana 4.

3 Likes

Yes, it makes sense in context of the discussion overall.

I disagree Bhante. Some things are incorrect. People’s view clinging can cause the myriad different interpretations that we have about jhana, and many do not do the boring and careful structured word analysis I mentioned before. I’m not just talking about just reading the suttas though (that isn’t structured enough for most to answer the relevant questions), so maybe it’s too high a standard idk. It really is amazing how easy it is for one’s “logic” to be pressed into service of one’s views. Reading the jhana debates are a good way to see the danger in views in general. To be clear I see strong view clinging on both sides of this discussion.

I think it’s a general tendency of kind-hearted people to make claims about both sides having valid views or interpretations. But honestly, just because to a group of people a certain quote or idea “looks” a certain way does not mean they have a valid interpretation. For example to some, certain quotes from the suttas look like an assertion of self. This is wrong, and we have no reason to call this a valid interpretation even if the person is kind-hearted and wise. Even if many kind-hearted and wise people say so!

Also it’s ok if we believe people with a differing view of jhana are incorrect. It doesn’t mean we need to be hostile or even (more extremely) believe there’s no hope for their practice. You can believe I’m totally wrong as well if you like Bhante. I don’t mind. Being highly confident is also not the same thing as view-clinging, and doesn’t preclude respect.

As for referring to ‘experience’, I don’t think this solves the problem either. Just because our personal meditation develops in a certain skillful way doesn’t mean that our personal meditation must be jhana. It could be something else, for example a formless state. Even if we think something like “I see no way for someone to abandon sensuality without this type of samadhi”, it is still biased by what works for us and ignoring the possibility that others can succeed with a different style. It takes a combination of experience and understanding to find jhana in our own world of experience, but it is totally possible IMO for someone to carefully do the type of analysis I mentioned before and identify the nature of jhana prior to the experience of it. Actually without first doing an analysis which is independent of what one experiences on a cushion, one is liable to read their own experiences into the suttas. This is instead of letting the suttas inform one’s experience, and determine what ‘label’ should be applied to whatever samadhi is experienced.

Anyways, that’s a lot about meta-discussion. I’d like to stop posting about this here as its a bit off-topic (and it’s my fault), but if you want to PM to me please feel free.

1 Like

Oh thank you Venerable, I didn’t know this sutta, it’s fascinating and very interesting!

However, I have 3 remarks to make:

1/ according to Pa-Auk, jhanas require concentration on unreal concepts (parikamma nimitta, uggaha nimitta, patibhaga nimitta) and is impossible by vipassana (because real objects are too unstable to establish jhanic concentration). Yet Uppaṭipāṭikasutta sutta speaks of attaining the jhânas through vipassana. This seems to run counter to the jhana Pa-Auk.

2/ Uppaṭipāṭikasutta says that sukha is surrendered at the third jhana whereas the normal suttas say that there is sukha at the third jhana. According to the article “Clarification on Feelings in Buddhist Dhyāna/Jhāna Meditation” (Tsefu Kuan), Theravadin say that sukha exists in the third jhâna as mental happiness, and sukha disappears in the third jhana as bodily physical happiness. So, for me, this implies there could be sukha as bodily physical happiness as early as the first or second jhâna. This implies that the first or second jhâna are not necessarily absorptions.

3/ According to the article “Clarification on Feelings in Buddhist Dhyāna/Jhāna Meditation” (Tsefu Kuan), there is at least one other version of this sutta, and it is called “Aviparitaka sutra”. Unfortunately, this sutra has been lost, but its contents are quoted in late treatises (the sutra itself, however, is not said to be late, and dates back to the time of the Nikayas). The sutra reads as follows in many treatises : ‘‘The dejection
(*daurmansya, Pali domanassa) faculty ceases without remainder in
the first dhyana. The pain (*duh. kha, Pali dukkha) faculty ceases
without remainder in the second dhyana. The joy (*saumanasya, Pali
somanassa) faculty ceases without remainder in the third dhyana. Thepleasure (*sukha) faculty ceases without remainder in the fourth
dhyana.’’ Here, pain is not eliminated during the first jhana, which poses a problem for the interpretation that the first jhana is an absorbion.

What do you think of these remarks? In what way are they wrong?
I write these remarks taking them as mere hypotheses. In truth, I don’t know, I’m suspending judgment. But my impression, my feeling, is that the Buddha’s jhânas are not absorptions.

But in any case, as you say, the safest thing is to practice the visuddhimagga jhânas, because you can be sure that the level of concentration is sufficient to free yourself.

Thank you again for the time you devote to transmitting your knowledge to help others.

Looks like you misquoted it. It is in MN 64.

You forget to quote the front part about giving up the five lower fetters. This is only for non return or above who has settling the physical discomfort (completely let go sensual realm here and now, no need to wait till the death of body), because they have broken the five lower fetters with wisdom.

Again text sometimes didn’t show that things can happen in parallel. It may looks like it is a series of step, but it is not.

Only 4th jhana & above are unshakable. The 1st-3rd jhana are shakable.

And what, Ānanda, is the path and the practice for giving up the five lower fetters? It’s when a mendicant—due to the seclusion from attachments, the giving up of unskillful qualities, and the complete settling of physical discomfort. …

As I said the implication from Sutta is that only a non return and above can teach samma sati/samadhi due to their knowledge/wisdom. The rest unfortunately can’t. Nowadays, monk over estimate without checking all factors. Do they even have the 4 factors of stream enterer or not?

Let me ask you. Are you saying that the beings in MN 127 are not in Jhana all the time?
-gods of limited radiance
-gods of limitless radiance
-gods of corrupted radiance
-gods of pure radiance

If they are not in jhana perception (Rupa Sanna), are they in sensual realm perception (kama sanna)? Because there is only 1 sanna/perception can manifest in each being attention. With this question answer, maybe I know how you have understood the jhana.

1 Like

If one has known jhana, one will let go family (wife, kids), houses, any materials, money, gold, work, eating too much, body, any related to sensual worlds (human + the 6 sensual deva worlds). Why? Because of this explanation from Buddha in MN 14.

Mahānāma, there is a quality that remains in you that makes you have such thoughts. For if you had given up that quality you would not still be living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures. But because you haven’t given up that quality you are still living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures.

Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.

Even though a noble disciple has clearly seen this with right wisdom, so long as they don’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, they might still return to sensual pleasures.

But when they do achieve that rapture and bliss, or something more peaceful than that, they will not return to sensual pleasures.
Note: This is only for an ariya (stream enterer and/or possibly once returner)

Jhana can be tested as well from checking the senses.

sorry I meant Miccha (wrong samadhi).

The path is gradual, Don’t try too hard. As long as it lead to happiness that doesn’t cause your own sufferings and other beings sufferings. You are still doing fine.

As Buddha said in DN 9.

I teach the Dhamma for the giving up of these three kinds of birth: ‘When you practice accordingly, corrupting qualities will be given up in you and cleansing qualities will grow. You’ll achieve and live in the fullness and abundance of wisdom, having realized it with your own insight in this very life.’

Corrupting qualities will be given up and cleansing qualities will grow. One will achieve and live in the fullness and abundance of wisdom, having realized it with one’s own insight in this very life. And there will be only joy and happiness, tranquility, mindfulness and awareness. Such a life is blissful.

PS: Remember if you practice N8FP, but your life is still miserable, somethings are very wrong with your practice. Time to check again.

1 Like

Hi, here’s what I think:

1. The Uppaṭipāṭikasutta (SN48.40) talks about contemplating pain and happiness, but it doesn’t explain any more than other suttas how they attain the jhanas. It doesn’t say that their contemplation directly leads into the jhanas. The explanation of how to attain jhana is still the same as always: abandoning the hindrances and sense objects. I’m not sure what Pa-Auk would mean by “unreal concepts”, though, so I can’t respond on that. If it means mental objects, then yes I would agree that is what has to to happen eventually. But there is nothing unreal about those things. If anything, it’s more real than anything in the physical world. Also, contemplation and other types of meditation lead us there, so I wouldn’t make a hard distinction, whether we call it “real” and “unreal” or whatever.

2. It’s a bit strange, yes. The sutta says sukha is abandoned in the 3rd jhana, where there is still sukha! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Well, it clearly uses sukha in a different sense. The word does have different senses throughout the canon, so that’s not particularly strange. For example, parinibbana is also a type of sukha but of course there are no feelings there, so it is not sukha of the jhanas, which is a feeling. In the Uppaṭipāṭikasutta sukha must stand for piti, since that is what is abandoned in the third jhana. A bit weird, but the sutta seems to somewhat forcefully try to fit the four “faculties” (dukkha, sukha, domanassa, somanassa) onto the four jhanas, which, because these two sets of four don’t really match, in some cases is done in a somewhat creative way. Like, domanassa, which is said to be abandoned in the second jhana, seemingly refers to the vitakka vicara, which is a bit strange too. But this stretching and challenging of concepts is something that the Buddha did all the time.

3. Thanks, I haven’t read that, but going by what you say, in these other treatises the pain/pleasure faculties are mixed up compared to the Pali. I think this shows my assumption, that the four don’t really match the jhanas properly, and that the sutta was a creative way of categorizing things. The main point is that it aids contemplation, not so much to explain us what the jhanas are like.

I was aware of some of the different usage of terms here, but I think for the first jhana it’s still pretty clear that physical pain is abandoned already there.

1 Like

I don’t want to go into the meta here, but just to be clear: I don’t say all views are valid. By “the suttas can be interpreted both ways” I just meant that people arrive at different interpretations, not that all interpretations are valid. That would be silly if the interpretations exclude one another, which they do in this case.

1 Like

Thank you very much Venerable.

If you look at SN 48.37 or SN 48.36 (the analysis), you might see how Buddha describe the terms:

Sukhindriyaṁ, dukkhindriyaṁ, somanassindriyaṁ, domanassindriyaṁ, upekkhindriyaṁ.

dukkhindriyaṁ = senses physical pain (contact from eye, ear, tongue, nose, and body touch) describe as:

And what is the senses of physical pain?
Katamañca, bhikkhave, dukkhindriyaṁ?

Physical pain, physical unpleasantness, the painful, unpleasant feeling that’s born from physical contact.
Yaṁ kho, bhikkhave, kāyikaṁ dukkhaṁ, kāyikaṁ asātaṁ, kāyasamphassajaṁ dukkhaṁ asātaṁ vedayitaṁ—

This term is referring to how to purify the mind from physical body contact & mind contact. If you tie in the MN 43, you will see the total connection instead of conflicting. Then there is connection to SN 48.40 as well.

This Sutta also clearly describe that jhana (samma Samadhi) is used when the all senses are in contact with the world. How to let go one by one to achieve higher purified mind.

Also, The SN 48.42 which clearly describe that the 5 senses recourse to the mind (mano):

What do these five senses, with their different scopes and ranges, have recourse to? What experiences their scopes and ranges?”
Imesaṁ nu kho, bho gotama, pañcannaṁ indriyānaṁ nānāvisayānaṁ nānāgocarānaṁ na aññamaññassa gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhontānaṁ kiṁ paṭisaraṇaṁ, ko ca nesaṁ gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhotī”ti?

The sense of the eye, ear, nose, tongue, and body.
Cakkhundriyaṁ, sotindriyaṁ, ghānindriyaṁ, jivhindriyaṁ, kāyindriyaṁ.

These five senses, with their different scopes and ranges, have recourse to the mind. And the mind experiences their scopes and ranges.”
Imesaṁ kho, brāhmaṇa, pañcannaṁ indriyānaṁ nānāvisayānaṁ nānāgocarānaṁ na aññamaññassa gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhontānaṁ mano paṭisaraṇaṁ, manova nesaṁ gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhotī”ti.

If someone say, they can’t experience the physical body in jhana. They are probably in the wrong samadhi.

Sometimes, the translation just didn’t make any senses at all. This is why always refer to the Pali words and look at more sutta or other Sutta that analyze it in more details. Nowadays it is easy to check the pali in the search box.

1 Like