If you woke up now

Realising being Buddha 2018. Considering this fact, and based upon your knowledge as is:

What do you think you would do, and how?

Do you mean if I were awakend as the Buddha?
Then I will teach others what I discovered.

2 Likes

I think I would find a nice tree to sit under for a long time, and enjoy the bliss of release.

4 Likes

Yes, I mean as “The Buddha”, but how would you go about waking up the people, and where would be wise to start?

Gotama Buddha was about to give it up teaching, but decided to try to reach those with just a little dust in their eyes. What about these days - dust or concrete in their eyes and heads, - and impossible to break through, and reach the individual in the ongoing stream of empty distractions that shouts at us from all directions these times …!?!

Would the tree do it for you, if it was a holographic tree arising out of your mobile screen … ?

Perhaps I will keep you in my mind.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I understand this as me being the unenlightened friend and former companion, that you left to become enlightened. Now your back, and my name is “Koṇḍañña” - How are you going to give me (Koṇḍañña of 2018) a discourse (setting the wheel in motion), the same experience (breakthrough), and by that start the new shiny era of Buddha-hood?

I want my " Añña" to my “Koṇḍañña” …

your ball, friend :wink:

In response to the OP #1 :

I wouldn’t be speculating about anything, I’d be relaxing in the here and now. Presumably intuitive wisdom would arise when appropriate.

1 Like

Well, it’s nice sort of, when the Buddhas of today goes directly for a nap … thats amazing - the world has got a new slob! … :wink:

More serious, what about that a Buddha of today do have a nice access to reach all of us “now” now? Does that give any new opportunity for directly communicating a message to the whole world at the same time (wake up call!)? Steve Jobs has got his own sect now after his death, and they pay more than we do to our company. How about a Steve Jobs x 1000 000

What “damage” could that do?

The beauty of these verses just struck me in relation to the OP,
What would you do if you Woke Up? :slight_smile: :thaibuddha:

The sage on firm ground stands,
not swayed from truth, a paragon,
having relinquished All,
“peaceful” that one’s called.

The wise indeed, all wisdom won,
on dharma not dependant,
wanders perfected in this world,
and envies none herein.

Who sense-desires has crossed beyond,
undone worldly ties
and bondless, cut across the stream,
no longer grieves or broods.

https://suttacentral.net/snp-atthakavagga
“Assuming Forcefulness” and so on
Attadaṇḍa Sutta Snp 4.15Snp 182

4.15. “Assuming Forcefulness” and so on

5 Likes

I’m a sucker for poetry, thanks :slight_smile:

Got this email today:

The house was quiet and the world was calm
by Wallace Stevens

The house was quiet and the world was calm.
The reader became the book; and summer night

Was like the conscious being of the book.
The house was quiet and the world was calm.

The words were spoken as if there was no book,
Except that the reader leaned above the page,

Wanted to lean, wanted much to be
The scholar to whom his book is true, to whom

The summer night is like a perfection of thought.
The house was quiet because it had to be.

The quiet was part of the meaning, part of the mind:
The access of perfection to the page.

And the world was calm. The truth in a calm world,
In which there is no other meaning, itself

Is calm, itself is summer and night, itself
Is the reader leaning late and reading there.

Which led the mind onto those exquisite verses from the dhammapada (153-154)

Verse 153: I, who have been seeking the builder of this house (body), failing to attain Enlightenment (Bodhi nana or Sabbannuta nana) which would enable me to find him, have wandered through innumerable births in samsara. To be born again and again is, indeed, dukkha!

Verse 154: Oh house-builder! You are seen, you shall build no house (for me) again. All your rafters are broken, your roof-tree is destroyed. My mind has reached the unconditioned (i.e., Nibbana); the end of craving (Arahatta Phala) has been attained.

Which spun the mind to this:

A Tendency to Shine

by Adyashanti

Original Language English

If you prefer smoke over fire
then get up now and leave.
For I do not intend to perfume
your mind’s clothing
with more sooty knowledge.

No, I have something else in mind.
Today I hold a flame in my left hand
and a sword in my right.
There will be no damage control today.

For God is in a mood
to plunder your riches and
fling you nakedly
into such breathtaking poverty
that all that will be left of you
will be a tendency to shine.

So don’t just sit around this flame
choking on your mind.
For this is no campfire song
to mindlessly mantra yourself to sleep with.

Jump now into the space
between thoughts
and exit this dream
before I burn the damn place down.

And then too a memory from the past, and followed by joy and rapture … :slight_smile:

And then it was the memory of discovering the truth of emptiness - done a few years ago when my house actually was on fire, and so was I … I remembered ajahn Sumedho saying: “but, you GOT TO PUT THIS TO THE TEST, or else it is just another conditioned belief!!” … and so i did, and 2 min, dead calm, happy as little bird watching my nest going going going … :wink:

And now, right now there is a polish housebuilder in my house, fixing this and that … he tells me they have polish housebuilders in Poland too, but they usually comes from Ukrain or somewhere further south east …

1 Like

You have to put it to the test :grinning: :anjal:

1 Like

or else it will come and test you … and all of us being a bit “Napoleon’s” know’s that the battle is won by choosing time and place, so it’s time for change … burning down the house … delicious delicious yummy mummy

Ozzy: mama, i’m coming home! … Poor ozzy, he’s so sweet and fuzzy :slight_smile:

Yeah, one is grateful for times with teachers and teachings that taste true … but I can’t let go of sending gratitude to my dear fellows trough life, as we have been rolling along, stoned or not … :wink:

Funny thing is that I loved Hippies and flower Power, and man did I get a lot of trashing for my delusions in my world back then. Anyway, I kept my love for “Hippies” under strict control, util now. Now I find myself sitting listening to the same hippies, but now clean and noble with their shaven heads and bright minds - minds that is hooked on a noble drug … neat or not? :wink:

1 Like

What is being put to the test?
The test I cannot find.

The answer is simple,
Enlightenment comes
When at last I’ve lost my mind.

My friend, I ask this humbly, but I am 67, and was part of that movement yet even now I have no proper definition for the word ‘Hippie’. Or are there a million definitions?

OR [requesting a pardon from the Mods for the inclusion of more Buddhism in rock]
Is it [wait for it] The Same as it Ever Was?

2 Likes

I’m delighted out of this old hat i’m wearing, and sorry because I don’t have any definition either, but I recognize the state I’m in when I listen to my teachers - it’s like the spirit is just there, and I find myself loving everything without understanding or care for findig out about the magic in this new “flower power”

Up through my life I met several ex-Hippies, and they weren’t outspoken about past wonders or mishaps, but gave me same kind of space as last time around, - Space for just being who you feel you are, and not important about stuff that drives me mad …

Thanks again for asking, because this made me dig some more in history, and I have more to say about “my hippies”, but let’s cool it down a bit with of spiritual vibrations from now …

I can hear Janis smile … :slight_smile: same as it ever was … tamdidamdi dei

2 Likes

Feed the cats.

6 Likes

That’s very ‘chop wood, carry water’ @Nadine :laughing:

4 Likes

Saadhu Saadhu Saadhu!

2 Likes

‘same hippies’… ? who are they?

‘noble drug’? what drug is that?

To develop awareness and equanimity within oneself is the way to get off the hook, not to get hooked on to anything.

They could be you! :anjal:

Every time my old hippie ear/eye hears or sees something that resonates with my heart and hippie values, - “stuff” from the the actual Hippie-era (whole sixties, early seventies, and before “Punk”) - I make a beautiful peaceful Hippie in my mind, which I invite to sit with me in silence, or maybe listening in stillness to a tune going like this …

And I have listened to most of today’s ajahn’s and lay teacher from the west that was born in those days (i’m a bit shy about revealing how many hours I’ve spent or “wasted” listening to these helpful beings, but it’s a “wholesome addiction”, i hope …), - so it’s just a matter of “it takes one to know one”

Every one of my dear teachers are also, beautiful Hippies :blossom::tulip::sunflower:
So, how bout being me teacher too, bro!? - you know, join the peace train, or did you miss it … here’s the magic carpet for you to catch up the rest of the old gang gone beyond … :wink:

But it’s another thing to start suggesting names/person, would not be fair to our teachers, and not wholesome or helpful.

“deathless” or “emptiness” or “stillness” or “nonharmfullness” or “Jippiness” or or or !?! … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done Your Emptiness, - and now you got a nice little sangha (6 likes in the bag!:)) of your own, and here comes first question from a cat - what do" Buddha" see here?

Or, to whom does Lord Buddha find it worth some more feeding, - somebody not busy enough already, or is it just the little cat in the buddha, and not just another cat in the bag …

This cat has heard rumors about your awakening, and some other says that if this little pussycat, a bundle of murder and joyful carnage in your oh so! peaceful backyard, where all the precious little darling grand children stumbles about … - arrives at a certain place, at a specific time - The newly awakened will perform something magic. Some other cat’s … (could also been a dog …???), says will set this cat totally free!? They say this new “thing” or “miracle” is called “setting the nuts free, and see them joyfully rolling down the hill, while you relax on your sorry tail, and get the full effect of glorious Catness

This sound to me a game for cats, and I love games!!

Oh, and by the way; Mouse says Hi Four!