Implementing the New Concise Pali English Dictionary

What I have done now is:

1. Change CPED to use the <span class="case"> for the grammar at the beginning as is done in the pts_ped.
  2. Find & Replace abbreviations within this class to be spelled out in full, where known by me.
  3. Created NCPED from the data Russel sent (see https://github.com/suttacentral/suttacentral-data/tree/master/dicts/en), using the data as-is with a link to definitions if (see …) is mentioned and abbreviations spelled out.
  4. Added NCPED to the dictionary listings.

This still needs some work. Both in cped and ncped still have a lot of abbreviations that are not spelled out.
Layout is not always correct in ncped. See for instance https://suttacentral.net/define/gacchati
@sujato - do you want to have a look at that?

I have not added the ncped to the Lookup tool because some entries are much too long for that.
One thing I can still do is compare ncped with cped and then see which entries don’t exist in cped and add those to the lookup tool. Those will most likely be shorter ones and if not, I can scan/shorten them by hand.

@Russell : while implementing the NCPED that you made, I found a few inconsistencies that we may have to look at. For instance, if you look at the word “nisadāpota”, it says in the meaning “(same as nisadāpota)”.

We don’t need a dictionary to tell us that a word is the same as itself, so maybe you can have a look at what is going on there. I have in total 78 entries that need to be looked at. Some of them will just be the discrepancies between square and round brackets in the search term, or diacritical marks, etc.

I have attached a file with these terms. Can you have a look at these and send me an updated file with just there terms? Thanks! :anjal:

2 Likes

:anjal:

Dear Ayya @vimala,

Warm greetings. Sure, will take a look at it and correct it and send it back to you!

This gives what to look out for on my current project. Thank you!

with reverence, gratitude and in mettā,
russ

Dear Ayya @vimala,

I just opened the file and it’s just a jumble of words. I can’t make sense of it. Would it be possible to upload the file without zipping it? That may help. Thank you very much!

with reverence and gratitude and in mettā,
russ

I’m afraid Discourse does not let me do this without zipping it, but I can send it to you by private email (perks of an administrator :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Dear Ayya @vimala,

I’ve receipt of your e-mail and replied! Thank you very much!

with reverence and gratitude and in metta,
russ

NCPED has been uploaded now, also added partly to the lookup tool (only those entries that were not already in it).

2 Likes

It has taken a very long time indeed but @Russell and myself have finally finished the NCPED dictionary completely and I’ve uploaded it to SC. The Pali-English lookup tool has also been updated. With much much gratitude to Russell because he did the most work on this. :anjal:

13 Likes

Sadhu! Sadhu! :pray:

Thanks so much to Russell and yourself for making this happen. This means that 2/3s of the Pali language is now covered by the new, corrected and updated dictionary. The final third will have to wait until the last volume of Cone’s Dictionary of Pali is published.

Russell, you have been working steadily and constantly at this for a long time now, and have created something that will be of genuine value for Pali students for many years to come. May you experience much joy and happiness in the Dhamma from your good work! Please enjoy a well earned break (until the third volume of the dictionary comes out, of course!)

And Ayya, as always, you have quietly gone about putting things in place. Making this work required an extensive range of skills, from Pali and Dhamma, to looking after our wonderful volunteer, to understanding how the coding works and getting it to all fit in place. We are all so grateful to have you here!

12 Likes

Dear Bhante @sujato & Ayya @vimala,

:pray:

I am very grateful for the opportunity to assisted in this endeavor. I’m very glad that I have done something to give back in appreciation of the Triple Gem. One take away is that going through all the terms in the dictionary and reading the suttas now is, it has made me see suttas in a new light. All the repetitive portions, and the different terms makes me see just how the Buddha communicated. He taught in a very simple and down to earth manner, speaking in terms and using words that the listener would easily understand.

I’ll gladly take the break :grin: (until the third volume of the dictionary, comes out!) Until then, for the mean time, I will be assisting our dear friend @dheerayupa with editing/formatting transcriptions of Dhamma talks.

Thank you both and for everyone who makes Sutta Central possible, because making the suttas in a digital manner makes it really accessible for those who are intent in following the Dhamma just as the Buddha have taught it.

May all beings be happy and be freed from suffering.

:pray:

in metta,
russ

12 Likes

Sadhu! @Russell

Anumodana and Mudita and lots of love to you!

dheerayupa

2 Likes

Sadhu, sadhu!

Thank you so much.