In the Buddha’s Words

I presume that the links in the OP will point to the suttaplex once that functionality is fixed up.
The links over here: In the Buddha's Words - Open Source Version - Dhamma Wheel already do that.

Note that in some cases Bhikkhu Bodhi just has a small selection from a sutta. When it is one of the DN suttas it would be helpful to use the facility to link to particular paragraphs.

I’m not clear what fuctionality you will use to create PDF and EPUb from having the links, and whether you intend to include the introductory essays, or whether copyright would preclude that…

1 Like

I see. What I will do is wait until the translations are done because the AN links, for example, do already populate from the secondary expanded listed when pasted into SC. What could be done is copy and paste the suttas from that list and use the index to just create basically a duplicate of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book, but with Ajahn Sujato’s translations and then convert it from word to EPUB so it can be viewed on mobile devices in a book type, page turning format. I’m not sure if you can use indexes in epubs to jump right to a sutta, but if so that would be swell. At the least, having them compiled by subject like that would be nice to have printed. I own Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book already, but it would be nice to have Ajahn Sujato’s. I supposed things like this will be in the works already once the translations have been proof read, but I’m happy to help if I can. I’m not overly techy but compiling suttas into a word doc with links is doable. I’ll look around to see the best way to do this and maybe others have ideas of the best way to create a linkable index in epubs. Maybe Acrobat for PDFs would be better to deal with links.

This all sounds great, guys. Just to let you know, the proofreading is getting done and updates are on their way.

2 Likes

Can you explain this? It sounds like a functionality that I did not know existed!

Bhante, while we have your attention, could you tell us whether there are more talks in this series?

Frustratingly, the series stops just before the “Path to Liberation”… :cry:

4 Likes

Also, is there a place to download those talks and others on that site in higher audio quality?

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t be of much help. When I was at Santi, a number of monastics and volunteers contributed to recording and uploading my talks, and I didn’t keep track of things. If it’s not on Youtube, BSWA, or http://www.dhammanet.org/, I wouldn’t know where to look.

3 Likes

@mkoll, I’m not sure if the question regarding ‘that site’ is referring to @mikenz66’s post just above yours or other audio recordings mentioned in the thread; just in case: the source link to the recordings from Santi FM is here http://dhammanet.org/archive/buddhaswords and it also only contains recordings up to chapter six.

As for higher quality: the recordings here on D&D are compressed as 16kbps 11kHz mono mp3 which gives best size/quality ratio and does not reduce the quality of voice recordings by any substantial amount providing the original recording is in perfect (studio) conditions, which is rarely the case.

Nonetheless even if the recordings are encoded with highest bit rate and sampling 320kbps 44kHz stereo mp3 they will still sound as good or as bad depending mostly on the recording conditions (human voice range overlaps the range where most ambient noise and recording equipment flaws are prominent and this is extremely difficult to remove with post-processing).

This is why turning up the volume (to enable better voice recognition) usually makes things even worse since noise is amplified more in this range than speech. The best way to listen to (especially low quality) voice recordings is using headphones with lowest volume settings in a surrounding with zero ambient noise.

HTH

7 Likes

Thanks for the info. The link you provided has higher quality recordings than the Santi site, at least for the In the Buddha’s Words talks. The speech in them is more intelligible. I often listen in the car which is an environment with a lot of ambient noise and it really helps to have higher quality recordings.

2 Likes

I can’t believe the Majjhima Nikaya talks 109-152 haven’t been uploaded yet. It’s been eight years now…

Maybe Blake has access to them?

Lol, it has been a while, no? I doubt if Blake has anything. If they exist, they will either be on a hard disk at Santi somewhere, or else with Damith at Dhammanet.

1 Like

Some of these were posted on Santi YT channel, you can also find them (at the end) here:

3 Likes

Thanks. I downloaded the ones that I didn’t have before, but what I really wanted was MN 127 and 128. Doesn’t matter, Buddhists are patient…

2 Likes

It appears that the links in the original post no longer work. Here is a page with all of the links connected to SuttaCentral.

If someone wants to use the html of the page and update the original post, that’s fine.

Enjoy.

13 Likes

Also on Reddit

1 Like

Thanks so much for this, it’s a really handy reference to forward on. :pray:

Just to let you know, the introductory paragraph seems to be duplicated.

5 Likes

I have started reading the original book and in addition I read the same material again, from B. Sujato’s translation.

I’m a little bit confused with this:

It says AN 3.35 both on the guide here, as well as on B. Bodhi’s book.

However, the sutta included in the book is definitely this one:

https://suttacentral.net/an3.36/en/sujato

So it’s either a typo in B. Bodhi’s book that got transferred here, or else I’m missing something with regards to the numbering of the suttas. :smiley:

Many thanks in advance.

Hi ahtrahddis,
Yes, you are correct. It is AN3.36 on Sutta Central and on Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation of the AN. In the Buddha’s Words was written before his AN translation. Different versions of the Pali texts (preseved in Myanmar, Thailand, etc…) do vary the numbering some of the AN and SN suttas, since it is not always clear where one sutta ends and another begins. So you’ll sometimes see a discrepancy between Sutta Central and sites such as Access to Insight: Tipitaka: The Pali Canon and Suttas | dhammatalks.org

2 Likes

Many thanks for the clarification! :pray:

I’ve updated Bhante Sujato’s original post of the TOC of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s “In the Buddha’s Words” with one that corrects the dead links and also provides direct links to the suttas referenced to SuttaCentral.

Thank you to @Snowbird and ReadingFaithfully.org for help with the text!

4 Likes